Jimquisition: The Xbox One: A Lying Failure Machine

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
The Xbox One: A Lying Failure Machine

Piece by piece, everything that Microsoft intended the Xbox One to be has eroded away, revealing nothing but dishonesty and shortcomings beneath.

Watch Video

QtheMuse

May 23, 2010
Jim, I am pretty sure that tie is suppose to look like a penis.

All hail the penis tie.

Zacharious-khan

Mar 29, 2011
thank god for penis tie

i like how the podium is becoming more and more populous, like Willam Dafoe is multiplying....

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
That tie was looking fine.

Besides that, this episode is basically a repeat of the recent apology episode and any post 180 turn Xbox One episode. Filler, I guess that's down to the summer being full of nothing worth thinking about.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Off topic, what is it with Jim Sterling and prawns / shrimp. Why does he show pictures of them whenever he says no? Has he explained it before?

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
The tie was probably a joke.

Also Microsoft. I have some advice. Don't promise the moon while screwing us over and another thing Windows 8.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
On a side note, the X-Box One doubled sales after the Kinnectless version came out, but the month before, while people were waiting for this version, sales fell below the Wii U by a serious margin. Even with double the sales, the PS4 was the best-selling console, but with less than 100,000 units sold.

Jofe

Feb 3, 2010
tm96 said:
The tie was probably a joke.

Also Microsoft. I have some advice. Don't promise the moon while screwing us over and another thing Windows 8.
I think that could apply to many other companies besides Microsoft (cough Ubisoft cough). But it seems like its the way works now. Make a crapton of promises to hype up something. Then cut around half or more because you overshoot in the name of hype. And finally make a half assed apology while you still make millions because we never learn. Bonus points if you get people to defend the product by using the word 'entitled'.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The whole new generation is a failure. You can tell because its considered a big step forward that The Last of Us, a game from the better generation, is now on the newer. So whats considered a great success it merely matching what the old PS3/360 did.
I'll never get a PS4 or Xbone. The games I love or want to play are already on my 360 or my PC. Not one game for the new gen has ever convinced me to buy a new gen system.
The PS4 may be the best selling of the new gen, but it wasn't needed. There was no reason for it. This console war reminds me of the Cold War to some degree. Microsoft has to make a new system because Sony is. And Sony has to make a new system because Microsoft is. And the gamers are caught in the crossfire.

Sweet tie though Jim. Like the black square.

(Don't even bother talking about the Wii U. Its a joke not a system)

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
C.S.Strowbridge said:
Off topic, what is it with Jim Sterling and prawns / shrimp. Why does he show pictures of them whenever he says no? Has he explained it before?
I remember it started with District 9. Maybe prawns have become a symbol of rejection, outright rebellion, a counter to whatever BS the game companies present each and every week.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Shouldn't this site be flooded with WiiU, handheld console, PC games coverage while Xbox One and PS4 get maybe 1/10th the attention of those? Wouldn't this be sending a more positive message about the gaming industry through your actions?

I'm not saying for Yahtzee or Jim Sterling to stop making videos about this. By all means, point out the injustices to consumers so that we don't forget about this issue. Even the escapists podcasters have almost nothing positive to say about the current gen consoles.

It would be nice if the site could follow it's content creators own advice. Spend more time focusing on promoting positive gaming awareness through companies who make 'less evil' decisions.

On topic: Good summary piece all around.
I didn't need more convincing to never support Xbox One but there you have it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BigTuk said:
Huh... Jim... you're complaining about Microsoft Lying....you know that's like complaining about water being wet right?

Seriously, which person with sense actually bought the bs MS was shoveling?
Well, I can't claim to for absolute fact know what people were thinking, but you did get a sizable chunk of people defending Microsoft for their practices. Maybe they knew better, but they sure made it sounds like they thought Microsoft was telling the gospel truth about the Xbone.

LenticularHomicide

Oct 24, 2013
> Last week: Slams EA and Ubisoft for apologizing after they lie and fuck up.
> This week: Slams Microsoft for not apologizing after they lie and fuck up.

(Yes, I know that in EA and Ubisoft's case it was because the apologies were ass-covering disingenuous PR fuckery, but the parallel here was too amusing to not point out.)

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
So Jim is complaining about a situation that he and the others who are like him created? You are complaining because they backed off of creating a media device and subsequently neutered it to stop the whining of people like yourself? It had clear potential that was eliminated the moment the company started making decisions based on game reviewers and silly rant videos.

Kinect may not be ready for prime time. But it is better than it was, and it will continue to get better still. And 5 years from now, people will wonder how there was every a device that wasn't spacial aware and capable of true voice command. It was never going to be anything more than a gimmick when it comes to games, and gaming should never have been the focus of the device.

The only thing the failed to do was emphasize the strengths of the kinect as its own thing. Instead they keep trying to tie it to gaming. When many of the features that could actually make it useful are pushed off as secondary.

MS has a terrible marketing department, for all of their devices and all of their software. Not because of what they are producing, but rather because they are marketing these things as if they are following rather than innovating.

The PS4 is no more relevant than the XBOX one, and that has nothing to do with fanboys or hardware. There was no real need for current gen, and they would have been a lot better off waiting until they were able to mass produce true next gen experiences. Until developers can utilize these devices 100%, both machines are a complete waste of money.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
C.S.Strowbridge said:
On a side note, the X-Box One doubled sales after the Kinnectless version came out, but the month before, while people were waiting for this version, sales fell below the Wii U by a serious margin. Even with double the sales, the PS4 was the best-selling console, but with less than 100,000 units sold.
Question, where does this come from.

"Even with double the sales, the PS4 was the best-selling console, but with less than 100,000 units sold"

NPD 2014 June USA only
PS4: 269k
XBO: 197k
3DS: 152k
Wii U: 140k
360: 62k
PS3: 42k
Wii: 19k
PSV: 15k

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
BigTuk said:
Huh... Jim... you're complaining about Microsoft Lying....you know that's like complaining about water being wet right?

Seriously, which person with sense actually bought the bs MS was shoveling?
His point. You just illustrated it.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
LenticularHomicide said:
> Last week: Slams EA and Ubisoft for apologizing after they lie and fuck up.
> This week: Slams Microsoft for not apologizing after they lie and fuck up.

(Yes, I know that in EA and Ubisoft's case it was because the apologies were ass-covering disingenuous PR fuckery, but the parallel here was too amusing to not point out.)
Hehehe. Out of context that is a little funny. ;)

I hope you're not the only one to not forget about what they tried to do with the X-box One, Jim.

It's good that they had a change of course, but they fought hard to try and keep it the way it was.