Jimquisition: Time To Get Paid

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm happy for PD2's success, but the game doesn't appeal to me because I don't have friends who I can rely on to play co-op with. And rather than play it with random people I'd rather not play it at all.

Anyway, with that said, the whole outro with the dragon dildo had me on the floor laughing so much my belly started to hurt. Thank God for you Jim indeed!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Okay, Payday 2 a great game (with some SERIOUS flaws and content that was missing on release due technical issues, which gets patched into the game later down the line - for free, I might add) and yes, it is a good example to show publishers "Shut up and look how it's done". But the episode raised two questions (re-raised in the first case):
1 - the lack of supply to satisfy the demand, was that just because there was THAT much demand? Or didn't they just make enough under the assumption that "the other two system have an existing fan-base and hence there we gonna make the sales, anyway"?
2 - Where would I need to poke/dig/write a huge sign/whatever to play a round of Payday 2 with Jim? Because I HIGHLY doubt I can just add him on Steam for that.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
piscian said:
Its sad I recall Oblivion talking about how they got burned on Fallout New Vegas because a third of their "budget" was actually set aside for marketing and they didn't know this until way into production.

I'm glad overkill is doing well I loved the first game and bought the second but I'm too tied up at work to play it :(
Not to mention how Bethesda screwed them out of their bonuses because the game was one point low on metacritic, even though a lot of the reasons for lower scores on the reviews was because of the freezing that occurred due to Bethesda's piece of shit unstable engine the game had to be made on.

Have I mentioned I kind of hate Bethesda for how they shit all over Obsidian (not Oblivion, which is a game Bethesda made in The Elder Scrolls series) via Fallout New Vegas? Because I am.

Jimothy Sterling said:
Goliath100 said:
So, Jimmy, did you and TotalBiscuit plan this together or is it a coincidence that both of you talk about sequels that did better than its predecessor through word of mouth, on the same day?
Total coincidence. We both seem to have similar trains of thought, so it's not the first time we've coincided.

Of course, he never plays with dildos, as far as I know.
I laughed at that last sentence far harder than I probably should have.

Havoc Himself

Dec 21, 2010
The logical side of my brain says that the dragon dildo is just a bit of rubber and I shouldn't be grossed out by it. The other side of me is kind of disturbed. I laughed regardless of my inner conflict however.

willsham45

Apr 14, 2009
If you own a failing restrant your bank manager would tell you the way to get out the red is to up your prices when really you need to up the food quality and maybe change a few things around.

It is the same here, with games costing soo much marketers are saying go into more markets when in reality they need to reduce the budget and use tools that reduce the games cost.

Its not so much that markers and publishers are evil or mad it is just they are looking in the wrong areas, soo many games made the same mistake, I highly doubt they will make that mistake costly again, like now you got the next resident evil game going back supposedly that has got to be a sign things are turning around...hopefully.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
I watched my friend play Payday 2 and it looked fun. I'll wait till it's on sale though, due to my lack of free time and a backlog of a million games.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
Payday 2 is decidedly not my cup of tea, but good on them for making a game with a particular vision and sticking to it. Gives me hope that I'll see the same in areas that DO interest me in the coming years.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I have no words for that ending, it was just, glorious.

As for the rest of the show, I love the 'take a game thats doing it right and make the AAA market look bad' eps. They deserve it for all the lies they spew constantly.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Oh poor Jonathan Holmes. I think the quote on the plate perfectly describes the situation.
oh... and good ep I guess, TBH I didn't pay attention, I was too excited for the dragon dildo! Was not disappoint.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
uanime5 said:
Jim is also dishonest about Payday 2 sales as he only mentions that some stores ran out of copies, rather than how many copies were sold. This is misleading because if a shop has 10 copies of Payday 2 and 11 people want to buy it then this shop will have sold out. Unless Payday 2 was able to sell 3-5 million copied then all this shows is that to have huge sales you do need to appeal to a broad audience.
Well, he DID mention that they made a profit before it hit the shelves...

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
uanime5 said:
Jim is also dishonest about Payday 2 sales as he only mentions that some stores ran out of copies, rather than how many copies were sold. This is misleading because if a shop has 10 copies of Payday 2 and 11 people want to buy it then this shop will have sold out. Unless Payday 2 was able to sell 3-5 million copied then all this shows is that to have huge sales you do need to appeal to a broad audience.
Depends on how you want to measure success. Most people want to measure success on how profitable a product is. Apparently, PAYDAY 2 is incredibly successful, making profit before the game is actually released, and each sale upon that is more money in the bank. Happy times for the their publisher, the developer, and the people playing what sounds like a fun and successful game.

Why does a games's success have to be measured in copies sold? What would it matter if a game sells only 500,000 copies versus five million, as long as the people who bought the game are happy with it, and the developer makes enough money continue making decent, successful games?

It isn't just Jim saying the game is successful, look through this thread for other news posts from different sites. I do not understand why you are disagreeing in the first place.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
keep bein' awesome, j0. btw, that thing looks like tongue. is it supposed to? is that what it is?

OT: another bullseye, of course. i expect nothing less.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
CelestDaer said:
I didn't know Jim's gay... It's never even crossed my mind. Eh...
He's not, as far as I recall he's happily married with children. He's just not about to even begin to accept the notion that being called gay is an insult and so would rather wear the term with pride than take the time to explain what a bigoted asshole the person was being.

Bindal said:
1 - the lack of supply to satisfy the demand, was that just because there was THAT much demand? Or didn't they just make enough under the assumption that "the other two system have an existing fan-base and hence there we gonna make the sales, anyway"?
This, while certainly an error on their part, is a far safer and more lucrative error than having a ton of unpurchased goods at the end of the tunnel that you also wasted money on. Would that all publishers had this problem instead of selling over 3 million copies of a game without breaking even.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
geldonyetich said:
It's ironic that a game I applaud for shaming a corporate money-grubbing mentality because it succeeded on morally-superior indy development mentality is not going to get my purchase because I'm ashamed to see anyone playing a game about being part of a team of money-grubbing assholes who are so morally unreprehensible that they think nothing of gunning down innocents (and each other) in order to score a quick buck by performing a bank heist.

Even if it's "just pretend," this setting puts me in a moral crisis that was really unnecessary. I really want to encourage the former behavior of indy development without corporate fuckery, because I've been enduring decades of crappy games as a result. However, the backdrop of this game is so severely off the hook that I still won't vote for my wallet for it.

As for that last bit, I admire your follow through with the dragon dildo, Jim, but I do hope you remembered the lube.
It's more up to the players if they want to gun down innocent civilians or not but if I was to play Payday 2 and one of my teammates was hurting innocent civilians I would not hesitate to take that player down.

On Topic: I think we all know what needs to happen now for Payday 2. They need to hire Steve Buscemi, Michael Madsen, Harvey Keitel, and Tim Roth to voice the robbers and put it out as free DLC. That or hire them if they make a Payday 3.