Jimquisition: Tomodachi Strife

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Aardvaarkman said:
Redd the Sock said:
The lemming readers, never one to avoid a good twitter shaming of perceived bigotry, didn't stop to ask about context, and went on to vent their usual vitriol about how the rest of the world hasn't come about to the correct way of thinking.
As opposed the the people who disagree with them, who went about this completely calmly, and never once posted an angry rant comparing those people to Nazis. And never once boiled down the complexity of many different people's opinions to "SJW,"

I mean, as if people could have varying degrees of opinion and aren't all members of a groupthink activist cabal. That's just crazy talk. Obviously nobody would ever express their individual opinions without the consent of the hive mind.
Does that excuse the behavior of people that claim to be righter and smarter than the people you put down? As an isolated indecent, I get you, but how many mass internet shamings have come down in the last 6 months alone every time someone we thought was cool says something we don't approve of?

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Sticky said:
But the team was already adding development features :/ They already did what you said they never do.

http://nintendoeverything.com/bill-trinen-talks-more-about-tomodachi-lifes-localization-changes/

They are changing mini games to entirely new ones. They are developing the game for a western audience. Your post makes so sense when this is the case.
Changing a bunch of mii's singing to a bunch of mii's doing a rap battle is changing a bunch of text boxes.

Also changing two people dressed up in sumo outfits running into each other and pushing to two people in football outfits running into each other and pushing is just changing avatar outfits. ((also we know what sumo is out in the west nintendo ;p))

They aren't changing the hard code or core mechanics of the game, which what would be needed.
This doesn't make any sense. Like, at all. Unless the programmers behind tomodatchi life are idiots, allowing gay marriage shouldn't require more code changes than a couple of lines here and there. Which is about as much as those other changes would require. I mean, it should just require a change to some if statements. That really should be it.
If you don't care that regardless of the genders of the character, one character is going to play the male role, and one is going to play the female role in events like marriage and child birth and so on, your asking for a whole lot of work, that can screw up in a whole lot of places, that even working PERFECTLY, will be no better then just setting a character to the other sex and cross dressing him or her, something people have already been doing in the game. The best case scenario for that outcome is already doable in game effortlessly.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Draconalis said:
Transdude1996 said:
Part of the reason Tomodachi Life didn't intend have gay marriage in the first place was because Japan doesn't accept it as a whole
Funny enough, Japan only stopped accepting it because of western ideals.

Oda Nobunaga was known for being bisexual.

And we wasn't the only famous Japanese lord to be openly bi-sexual, as I understand it.

It was only when Christianity made its way to Japan that it started being shunned.
Not really funny so much as demonstrative of why Japan is behind some countries on the gay marriage issue. It all comes down to one word: face. Japan, like many Asian countries, is a nation of tradition. They have a way of doing things, and they'll keep doing it that way because that's the way they do things. The only way to break them out of tradition is to embarrass them. They'll do a lot to save face. They reformed divorce law because they were embarrassed at how much higher their divorce rate was than in western nations(and they went overboard; if a couple can't agree to terms it can take up to 20 years to finalize a divorce in court). I'm betting that Japan will follow the west when it comes to gay marriage as well, but only after the western nations themselves have figured it out. It's not like gay marriage is universally legalized yet, after all.

Basically, don't expect Japan to be socially progressive.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Sticky said:
But the team was already adding development features :/ They already did what you said they never do.

http://nintendoeverything.com/bill-trinen-talks-more-about-tomodachi-lifes-localization-changes/

They are changing mini games to entirely new ones. They are developing the game for a western audience. Your post makes so sense when this is the case.
Changing a bunch of mii's singing to a bunch of mii's doing a rap battle is changing a bunch of text boxes.

Also changing two people dressed up in sumo outfits running into each other and pushing to two people in football outfits running into each other and pushing is just changing avatar outfits. ((also we know what sumo is out in the west nintendo ;p))

They aren't changing the hard code or core mechanics of the game, which what would be needed.
This doesn't make any sense. Like, at all. Unless the programmers behind tomodatchi life are idiots, allowing gay marriage shouldn't require more code changes than a couple of lines here and there. Which is about as much as those other changes would require. I mean, it should just require a change to some if statements. That really should be it.
Have you ever written a program of any size? Even changing a couple of lines here and there can create unintended bugs that can wreck the game. That's why you often see game patches that fix one problem, but cause new ones. A lot of it depends on how interconnected everything is. Mini-games could be an easy change if they don't interact with the core programming. Basically one program calling another. But any change, however trivial, made to the core program will take a lot of testing, debugging and retesting to make sure that you don't break the game.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Dragonbums said:
The issue is that even if he was just focusing on the statement it reinforces the increasingly popular and very bad notion that if "If your not for us, your against us". Especially when it comes to clash with other regions and cultures that don't give a shit about Western ideals. In the case of Nintendo they make a game that is only for a Japanese audience. Japan is a place where gay marriage is illegal. As such it comes to no surprise that they don't put that feature in the game.
Would you finally shut up with your "If your not for us, your against us" bullshit? Jim and many others explained why in this issue Nintendo did not act in a neutral way.
Doesn't matter what culture you're from. The moral argumentation of whether something is wrong is still the same no matter what part of the world you are from and whether it is socially acceptable in this place.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Sticky said:

Have you ever written a program of any size? Even changing a couple of lines here and there can create unintended bugs that can wreck the game. That's why you often see game patches that fix one problem, but cause new ones. A lot of it depends on how interconnected everything is. Mini-games could be an easy change if they don't interact with the core programming. Basically one program calling another. But any change, however trivial, made to the core program will take a lot of testing, debugging and retesting to make sure that you don't break the game.
Yes, I have. I have written quite a few programs in my day. If the programmers behind it weren't terrible, changing something like this should create few to no problems. Yes, changing a few lines can create unintended consequences... But that is why good programmers use techniques like MVC and OO, among others. To separate out functionality and logic so as to avoid most of that shit. If changing something so trivial completely breaks the game, there is likely something very wrong with the code.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
hazydawn said:
Dragonbums said:
The issue is that even if he was just focusing on the statement it reinforces the increasingly popular and very bad notion that if "If your not for us, your against us". Especially when it comes to clash with other regions and cultures that don't give a shit about Western ideals. In the case of Nintendo they make a game that is only for a Japanese audience. Japan is a place where gay marriage is illegal. As such it comes to no surprise that they don't put that feature in the game.
Would you finally shut up with your "If your not for us, your against us" bullshit? Jim and many others explained why in this issue Nintendo did not act in a neutral way.
Doesn't matter what culture you're from. The moral argumentation of whether something is wrong is still the same no matter what part of the world you are from and whether it is socially acceptable in this place.
How about I won't shut up?

Because this is exactly what I'm talking about. "It doesn't matter what culture your from" argument never works because the culture it assumes everyone has to live up to is the Western culture with no consideration for other countries in the slightest.

Ethnocentrism is quite a blindfold in a lot of situations it seems.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
Scars Unseen said:
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Sticky said:

Yes, I have. I have written quite a few programs in my day. If the programmers behind it weren't terrible, changing something like this should create few to no problems. Yes, changing a few lines can create unintended consequences... But that is why good programmers use techniques like MVC and OO, among others. To separate out functionality and logic so as to avoid most of that shit. If changing something so trivial completely breaks the game, there is likely something very wrong with the code.
OK, would you mind explaining to me why changing this would be so trivial? I mean, I know I've been ignored in every post I've made on the topic (even the one I started), but I'll attempt to ask anyways. As someone who is just starting to learn code, I am curious on how something that seems integral to the game itself would be something trivial. Although part of me suspects that you don't know much about this game, I'm still curious to see how simple this game's code really is.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
Scars Unseen said:
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Sticky said:

Well gotta factor in also your working with a year plus old code going back to when it was starting to be created in japan, And the people editing the code, aren't the original writers of the code. Considering the wacky nature of the game and all the random events your looking at a ton of code to read and decipher with no prior knowledge of it before you can even start to say theses are the right switches you should flip. It's a Giant waste of time to recreate something users can already do.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Dragonbums said:
hazydawn said:
Dragonbums said:

Because this is exactly what I'm talking about. "It doesn't matter what culture your from" argument never works because the culture it assumes everyone has to live up to is the Western culture with no consideration for other countries in the slightest.

Actually I am inclined to agree that culture plays a huge role in the argument because different cultures tackle different problems differently, to state the amazingly extreme obvious. Not that anyone could come to defense of Nintendo for excluding gay people, and the initial statement from Nintendo of America was a big fumble on their part, but issues like this are tackled in very different ways in Japan then they are in the US.

Sexism is a good example. Japan has a lot of content that is considered quite sexist in the west however, there is a clear segmented content for men and women in Japan, and so while this kind of content is seen to alienate women in the west from mainstream gaming, in Japan women have games, comics, and various other forms of entertainment designed by them and for them. Sure this has not eliminated sexism, far from it, but it has eliminated this feeling of alienation and even misrepresentation as you can find plenty of content with positive depictions of women. A lot of this doesn't make it to the west and that is another problem, but again its a different solution that is based on the culture in question.

Similarly, with Japan, we are not dealing with a culture that has a violent opposition to gay culture, gay people are not being beaten in the streets. Gay people in Japan face more of a cultural barrier that stems for very entrenched family values which means that there aren't nearly as many hate rallies explaining how gay people threaten the fabric of society, but rather there are a lot more parents disowning their children because they embarrass the family type attitudes. But one thing is for sure, not many are stepping forward to talk about the gay experience. In that way, no one talks about these problems. Nintendo would likely have said nothing, and no one would have lifted a finger in Japan. At the same time, Nintendo Japan, coming forward in defense of gay people would probably do very little to help the problems that the Japanese Gay community faces, because again a lot of the problems stem from the family and culture of shame in Japan.

So yes culture makes a difference, maybe not in the morality of the core issue but certainly in how the issue manifests, is perceived and handled.

Jim's argument is absolutely correct, and he has a point and I didn't disagree with a word he said. But that is no excuse to ignore the nuances of reality.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Eve Charm said:
BreakfastMan said:
Scars Unseen said:
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Sticky said:

Well gotta factor in also your working with a year plus old code going back to when it was starting to be created in japan, And the people editing the code, aren't the original writers of the code. Considering the wacky nature of the game and all the random events you looking at a ton of code to read and decipher with no prior knowledge of it before you can even start to say theses are the write switches you should flip.
You are implying there isn't any documentation on the code, or that the code is poorly named. Which is entirely possible, but again, that is a sign of shitty programming. It is possible the game is programmed poorly, making the change super difficult, that is never something I denied as a possibility.

xaszatm said:
BreakfastMan said:
Scars Unseen said:
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Sticky said:

OK, would you mind explaining to me why changing this would be so trivial? I mean, I know I've been ignored in every post I've made on the topic (even the one I started), but I'll attempt to ask anyways. As someone who is just starting to learn code, I am curious on how something that seems integral to the game itself would be something trivial. Although part of me suspects that you don't know much about this game, I'm still curious to see how simple this game's code really is.
I don't know how trivial it is in real life. But I do know good programming practice, like "make basic business logic/rules easy to change without breaking everything" and "separate out functionality, so changes in one place shouldn't break everything" (one of the most important benefits of MVC architecture and OO programming). I also have enough intuition to know that there is invariably an if statement somewhere that checks the genders of characters to determine eligibility for marriage (the game disallows marrying any character you want, so this is obviously something that happens at one point).

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Dragonbums said:
hazydawn said:
Dragonbums said:

I'm considering what culture they are from, that's why I am lenient towards Nintendo. But that doesn't mean that what they did was not immoral. Just a little bit less. I'm talking about the degree here. Owning slaves was considered okay at a certain point in America. And the owners can be excused to a certain point because they were constantly reaffirmed by their culture that it was fine. That doesn't change the fact that slavery was and will be a gross injustice.

Whether ethical values are entirely subjective is still up for debate.
You say I come to this moral judgement because I'm from a Western Culture. Which is true in the way that it allowed me to get in contact with certain ideas and arguments I wouldn't have been able to if I came from other places. But you can't assume I chose this judgement solely because of where I was brought up. I have heard the other side of the argument on this issue and made a decision. This decision, based on all arguments I've heard and came to myself, has nothing do to with where I am from.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Is it hard to believe that the Japanese game company would have just not thought about gay marriage when they were designing the game? Seeing as gay marriage isn't legal in Japan and there isn't really a gay marriage lobby in Japan.

I genuinely believe they didn't think about it and don't understand why anyone is upset and that's the key problem here. They're trying to apologize but they don't know why people are angry at them. Hence why the apology sounds so strange and possibly insulting.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
BreakfastMan said:
Scars Unseen said:
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Sticky said:

Well gotta factor in also your working with a year plus old code going back to when it was starting to be created in japan, And the people editing the code, aren't the original writers of the code. Considering the wacky nature of the game and all the random events you looking at a ton of code to read and decipher with no prior knowledge of it before you can even start to say theses are the write switches you should flip.
You are implying there isn't any documentation on the code, or that the code is poorly named. Which is entirely possible, but again, that is a sign of shitty programming. It is possible the game is programmed poorly, making the change super difficult, that is never something I denied as a possibility.

xaszatm said:
BreakfastMan said:
Scars Unseen said:
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Sticky said:

I don't know how trivial it is in real life. But I do know good programming practice, like "make basic business logic/rules easy to change without breaking everything" and "separate out functionality, so changes in one place shouldn't break everything" (one of the most important benefits of MVC architecture and OO programming). I also have enough intuition to know that there is invariably an if statement somewhere that checks the genders of characters to determine eligibility for marriage (the game disallows marrying any character you want, so this is obviously something that happens at one point).
...I've got so much to learn because I didn't understand half of that. Fair enough, I'll not bug you on that aspect then. However, I still say that while the code might be easy to fix, there would still be problems in getting it fixed. The biggest problem is that the development team has long since moved on. I don't think any of them is willing to go over to a year old game to fix it solely for a few complaints, especially since they are hard at work at whatever they can do for the Wii U's current predicament. And add to the fact that if they did change that for this region, they would also have to backtrack and do the same for the Japanese version as well.

As a minor note, what is MVC and OO?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
xaszatm said:
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
BreakfastMan said:
Scars Unseen said:
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Sticky said:

xaszatm said:
BreakfastMan said:
Scars Unseen said:
BreakfastMan said:
Eve Charm said:
Scrumpmonkey said:
Sticky said:

...I've got so much to learn because I didn't understand half of that. Fair enough, I'll not bug you on that aspect then. However, I still say that while the code might be easy to fix, there would still be problems in getting it fixed. The biggest problem is that the development team has long since moved on. I don't think any of them is willing to go over to a year old game to fix it solely for a few complaints, especially since they are hard at work at whatever they can do for the Wii U's current predicament. And add to the fact that if they did change that for this region, they would also have to backtrack and do the same for the Japanese version as well.
They are making changes to the game for the US release, however. And many other games have made changes to make it more appropriate for US culture in the past.
As a minor note, what is MVC and OO?
MVC = Model View Controller. It is a pattern to structure a piece of software. Basically, you separate the actual functionality into the model, the view, and the controller. The view contains all of the forward-facing functionality like UI, while the model contains all the backend stuff like interactions with the disc and memory. The controller handles all the stuff in-between that. View only interactions with the controller, and the model only interacts with the controller as well. This basically means that if you make a change to how the UI works, you shouldn't have to make a change to what the controller or model (unless you change the interface), because their functionality isn't dependent on the specifics of how the UI works.

OO = Object oriented. It is a way of programming. Basically, you separate functionality into different "objects". These objects can have different functions and variables attached to the object.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Okay, finally home to watch this.

Jim, you're wrong on one thing. Being gay isn't the issue it once was (though not "not an issue"), but gay marriage really still is. Polls still average out to about 1/3 people being against it in America, and at a time when everyone wants to move the social needle one way or another, there was no way to make this kind of product without someone taking it to a political realm. Sorry, but once the topic came up, it's really doubtful the internet would be quiet if Nintendo solely cited technical reasons. Just read this thread with has an argument about if such a change would be easy or hard, with the side thinking it'd be easy getting a bit accusatory.

I get not being happy with how slow things are progressing, and the difficulty in living through that transition, but saying "it's [insert date] why doesn't everyone think the way I think is right yet" is not helpful. Yeah, a lot of progress has been made, but I'm not convinced an E rated game that allowed gay marriage wouldn't be removed from various Wal-mart shelves.