Jimquisition: Touch Waggle Touch Waggle Swipe

Brad Gardner

Jun 5, 2012
I've been a little confused cause I've been told by random people on the Internet that the more hard and frustrating a game is the better is. Therefore, I would think that the shitter the controls ie controls you need 5 hands to be able to play would be better.

This is kinda a troll.

I swear game makers see things like I want harder games and are like ok well you need to use both hands and a foot to play the game or train a monkey of or a little kid to help.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
This is why I hated and couldn't stand games like LAIR and Resistance: Burning Skies - too much bullshit in order to play the game. I LIKE Silent Hill: Book of Memories because the virtual buttons don't take the whole touch screen business too far.

I'll have to look into that game Jim was showing. Ragnarok Odyssey? I wonder what Jim thinks of it as a game, aside from being the good example of Vita touch screen controls.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
I'll have to look into that game Jim was showing. Ragnarok Odyssey? I wonder what Jim thinks of it as a game, aside from being the good example of Vita touch screen controls.
Why, I reviewed it right here, mah friend:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-ragnarok-odyssey-237672.phtml

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Jimothy Sterling said:
Mark B said:
Right well thats the last Jq I'm watching for a while. when you spend 2 minutes complaining that you dont have enough time to make a video thats 2 minutes you could have put in the video.
But ... it wasn't a complaint? It was a set up to a joke with a hammer?
Ya can't make everyone happy. Sad fact of life. :(

But you made me happy Jim. Thank God for you. :)

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
TJC said:
Jim... please... keep it short. You're repeating yourself for no reason. It's stretching the videos to unreasonable lengths for no other reason than to hear you saying the same damn thing over and over. This video should've clocked by minute 7 (if your fucking generous). The fact that it was nearly 10 minutes long makes it almost pointless.
Sorry m8, many of us enjoy the longer videos. I don't feel as though he went through any unnecessary time stretching in the video, he was just using repeat emphasis to drive home a point. Combine that with his rushed schedule, I'm willing to be quite a bit of that video went off script and he was speaking from his heart.

OT: Jim, I think it has been this way since the dawn of time. Anytime we get a new gadget/feature everyone wants to show off with it, and it becomes a bit redundant. The issue I see is, with games this redundancy breaks down the smooth interactive feel video games are supposed to provide. My general rule is; If you have to think about the controls while you are playing the game, you need to rework the system. Controls need to be reactive and intuitive because the game developers are trying to engross us in their product. Instead we have developers forgetting to engross us in their game, and trying to engross us with the hardware.

I don't know who's fault it is (developers or manufacturers), but once things do finally calm down, the touch screens and motion controls will seem fluid and seamless. I just pray to Jim that day comes sooner rather than later.

ClanCrusher

Constructive Critic
Mar 11, 2010
I'd say that this rant is the embodiment of everything I hate about Zelda: Skyward Sword, especially all those sequences where you had to twist the wiimote to put a key in a damn lock. Seriously, did anyone think that was anything other than a waste of your time?

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Yes...thank God for you Jim. It was about time someone said that the douches in game development don't HAVE to make every game an all-encompasing overimmersive experience where everything has to make use of the tech. Simpler is better sometimes...which is why people still go back and play the ORIGINAL Super Mario Brothers because it is still fun.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
NpPro93 said:
The key rant was one of the greatest things I have heard in a long time. Seriously, why is that kind of things in games now? Also when its like "mash x to open the door." You can't fail; its just an annoyance. So listen to Jim and stop doing it, developers.
This! Who the hell decided that it would be fun to randomly mash buttons to perform menial tasks? And no... it doesn´t increase immersion, if anything it decreases it because controlling your character gets less intuitive. In reality, i just open doors, i don´t shake my hands like a mad man until it opens.

One thing that puzzles me though, why do people first start to complain now? I´m starting to see a lot of complaints against things that have plagued this generation of games since day one, but we had to reach the end of the generation until people actually started voicing their negative opinions against these things :p.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
I was waiting for awhile for him to mention the Uncharted game on the Vita. Rub the paper clean, hold it up to a light even though it won't fucking do anything! That game just used Nathan and friends as a skin for their "this is stuff the Vita can do!" demo and it pissed me right off.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
And that's why I'd like to be an interface designer in the game industry. So often I see interface decisions that make me go "What the actual fuck did they think?"

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I'm shocked that Jim managed to mention Phantom Hourglass without mentioning the "Blow in the microphone" bullshit.

Talk about a tech demo mentality, "Hey, we have this microphone on this handheld. It has absolutely no practical use for a game, so what can we do to shove it in?"

Just what I want from my handheld, gameplay that makes me look even more like I should be removed from society.

12th_milkshake

Nov 20, 2008
Yup this shit ruined another M (well that and a million other things) I wanted to send team Ninja a rabid squirrel in a box labelled 'shake vigorously before opening'...

Point the wii mote at the screen to shoot missles then ya fecks.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
I'm gonna disagree on the key turning thing. Yeah, it can get annoying when overdone, but sometimes the motion interaction can enhance immersion in games. I hold up the Metroid Prime trilogy as an example of this done right.

Captcha: WTF we're doing advertisements now? No, I don't want Dish network!

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
This is reminiscent of MovieBob's Game Overthinker episode, where he comments on button overuse. Yeah, just because it's there, it doesn't mean you HAVE to use it. You CAN use it if you feel it improves or enhances gameplay, but more often then not, gameplay and controls, Hell, even the entire game seems to be build around one thing, and that's the awkwardness of using weird-ass controls!

BoredWalker

Aug 14, 2012
This video expresses so well why I won't touch the next Xbox with a 10-foot barge pole if Kinect is a part of the launch hardware; I am getting seriously sick of this "let's use it because we have it" mentality in the industry. Indeed, thank [redacted] for Jim.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
It is for that very reason that I HATED Metroid Prime Hunters on the DS. All available control schemes were centered around the touch screen and they all were about as intuitive as putting a square peg in a a round hole with the lights out while wearing oven mitts. ...Well that and the fact that they all of a sudden decided to introduce falling damage after IDK how many Metroid games without falling damage.