Jimquisition: Watch Dogs - Five Collector's Editions For One Game? What? F*$%ing WHAT?

Angantyr

May 19, 2014
orangeapples said:
Where can I see this spreadsheet? I know Jim showed it i the video, but I want to be able to see the thing in its full glory.
http://images.eurogamer.net/2014/usgamer/xkwxuua59ymp7bnqcbce.jpg <-- There it is.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Some marketing advice for Ubisoft: If you're going to need a spreadsheet to tell apart your editions, then bloody hell at least have it more green than red.

It's bad enough that exists, it's worse that you looking at it gives the impressions of what don't I get with my special edition. It's just one big sea of red.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Mr. Q said:
When the next market crash of the games industry comes, I can only hope that the golden parachutes of these corporate douche-bags will be filled with either dirty laundry, silverware, or an anvil. -_-
It won't, naturally. When the inevitable crash comes the Executives will be fine. It will be the middle managers down to the front line folks who bear the brunt of the crash from the loss of income and literal industry to being the ones who will be blamed for the crash by the media. Which will be full of the Executives, who transfer from one industry to another.

People used to say "Get a government job - you're set for life." These days get yourself an Executive position and watch as you're set for life in a far, far far more lucrative way.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I'm excited for Watch_Dogs, don't get me wrong, but I will NOT fall for the "pick-a-special-edition" shell game. I accepts Assassin's Creed doing that because it's an established franchise by now, but I only preordered the game by itself from Gamestop. I don't need no fancy do-dads that aren't IN the game too.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Only 5 collector editions?

I don't even consider a game worth of attention unless it has at least 8 *pompous laugh*

Bke

May 13, 2013
Wuvlycuddles said:
And the saddest thing of all is there will be one place where you can get ALL the bonus content in one.... piracy!

Kinda pathetic that the people who aren't even paying for it are getting the better more complete version of something.
This. This so hard.

Now to explain where I'm coming from I almost exclusively buy collectors editions. I really really enjoy getting all the extra fiddly bits and knowing I got the whole package as it were. Indeed I would say I'm a bit of a connoisseur of collectors editions. However in recent years the divvying up of content and the releasing of "definitive editions" has made me very very sad, to the point that I feel that all my shiny toys aren't actually worth the initial asking price.

Consequently I have oft considered whether or not I should pirate my games for their digital content instead, and waiting for the industry to get their heads out their asses with this issue. What's more is that the collectors editions are becoming very very samey in recent times. steel game box, figurine, art book, special big box, soundtrack and DLC, are all very standard and very boring. Which gives me less and less reason to invest in them. very few collectors edition games nowadays are truly unique and, by extension, worth my time and money

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Angantyr said:
orangeapples said:
Where can I see this spreadsheet? I know Jim showed it i the video, but I want to be able to see the thing in its full glory.
http://images.eurogamer.net/2014/usgamer/xkwxuua59ymp7bnqcbce.jpg <-- There it is.
Thanks. I like how it is the regions outside of the US that can get the Watch_Dogs map of Chicago. I guess that means it is not an accurate map of the city since if people in the US did get it, they would take it, go to Chicago and find out everything is wrong.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
To comment on the special Arkham Knight Edition thingies, I don't think I've even seen any gameplay or any sort of idea what it's supposed to be like. How can I decided what to buy if I don't know what it's like?

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
And this is why I don't buy Collectors editions. they are never worth it. Ok maybe sometimes they are but not In my experience.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Newhouse said:
I'm kinda curious how Jim feels about the Wolfenstein collectors edition. Personally I kinda like the concept.
I think I can answer that one. Jim said in the video that he liked the DLC part, at the beginning he understands why there would be a special edition for games that have a known reputation. And foremost there is only 1 collectors edition of the entire game. And also, the Panzerhund edition does not even contain DLC, only goodies (thank you Bethesda, you know how the market works, well sort of).

So I think Jim would be on board with this. But then again, I'm not Jim. :)

-edit-
Ehrm, I am reading that there is no game in the collectors edition of W:NWO.
I stand corrected, I don't think Jim would like this at all, well... not me at least.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Agreed, all special editions are a total waste of money. I'm interested in Watch Dogs but this is beginning to put me off. I guess I'll just wait a year or so and buy the "Game of the Year Edition" if it does well or pick it up super cheap otherwise.

Mark B

Nov 5, 2007
While I realise that is not anything solid to go by but Watchdogs on CD Key sites is currently selling for less than half retail price, previous times this has happened its not a good sign. Its generally a sign that the game sucks.

I personally hope this game is a good game but with this and other bad omens on the horizon I will not be pre-odering nor buying any of the collectors editions and I'm waiting for the reviews.

If the reviews are good I'll feel a bit shafted that I didn't get the pre-order bonus so I wont want to pay full price (£55) so I'll probably wait for it to come to a more manageable discount £20-£30 before I'll buy it.

I'm not fussed with multi-player so I'm not missing out on that so its basically a single player experience for me which will be as good on launch day as it will in a years time when its in the bargain bin or given away for free on PS Plus or Games with Gold (or nearly for free on a steam sale)

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I'll probably get a warning for this but, WTF is garme?!? It's not a typo cause R on a keyboard is no where near A or M. It's not lolcat spelling cause there isn't any 'err' sound in game.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
Say what? Who in the world thought this was a good idea?

"Hey! Here is something you have never tried, what do you want in it?"

But seriously now... we have games that gives us choices in the beginning, we have not played the game before so we have no idea what "adventuring" actually does for the experience as a whole.
Thing is, if you figure out that you can't experience a part of the game because you din't pick lockpick it's fine, because you can start over, you don't have to buy a different game and possibly on a different platform.

Also, been trying to figure out what I would have to get to get everything...
So, for PC I would need to get
- Dedsec edit
- Vigilante edit
- Gold or Season pass
- Digital or Deluxe edit

Did I get that right?

Also this made me think about this bit with Barry Schwartz on TED talks.
The part from about 10:45 to about 14:20 sort of nails how I feel about all this.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
The games industry. Offering people choice. Just like the Nazi's did to Sophie.

As someone absolutely correctly pointed out above, there are 2 ways to get all the content. Spend £200-300 on several versions of an unproven game from various retailers, or pirate it. For free. Call me a professional sociologist if you must but that doesn't really look like a choice a lot of people are gonna struggle with.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
May the anti-Hype continue!

I will no longer pre-order games or get collectors editions. (SC2 Legacy of the Void being the only exception)

Time to see if the game is all its cracked up to be. Going to see what all the critics say before i even think about buying this game.

Vicioussama

Jun 5, 2008
Well said, Jim. That's the problem with the US, people keep thinking "business comes first!" and think "government is always the problem!" and ya... I'm gonna just copy and paste my post against a conservative idiot. It should have the major points made

That's wrong, there would still be an issue. History shows us that corporations can get big enough where they can abuse the people on their own without government. Government is not all bad, there is good to it, but it has been corrupted. Sure in some ways, I agree, it's too big, in others, it's not.

And free markets, again, are a terrible thing. People keep thinking free markets are truly great and will solve all problems, we had a more free market in the late 1800s, there were less regulations and almost no government intervention (and what there was, was usually government having been bought out by corporations to squelch worker strikes, but even without them, corporations did fine).

You know what a truly free market brings you?

Child Labor
No Weekends
No Holidays/Vacations
Low Wages
No worker safety
No Food/water safety/regulations
No anti-pollution laws.

A truly free market, remember, means ABSOLUTELY NO REGULATIONS OR LAWS monitoring the corporations.

And yes, monopolies would exist, again, before TR, corporations got so large to control 90-95% of their entire industry. It was only a matter of years more before they control 100%. But, luckily, TR and others trust busted and broke them up, thus, bringing in a competitive market.

People think that pure capitalism/pure free market is good, that's wrong. It's as stupid as the extreme of communism and ignores the human nature. It ignores that information doesn't flow as freely/fast nor are all the people as educated in a matter as experts. Nor does it acknowledge that if there are no regulations, corporations slowly clamp down on the flow of information (why do you think Viacom and Comcast and all the big corporations who control the TV networks wanted to support SOPA and PIPA and currently supporting the FCC's changes in regulations?) and keep people ignorant and propagandized. It's why the word "liberal" is seen as a "bad thing" even though true Liberalism is probably one of the most American beliefs entirely.

But no, what you want is a mixed economy. What we had from the end of the Great Depression until about the late 1970s. Aka when we had our biggest economic boom. It was an economy where the people regulated the hell outta businesses to keep them from doing harm to the people, but then free enough where businesses could start up and competition and innovation were healthy.

So what changed? The 1970s we saw people like Lewis Powell get more into politics. In case you don't know him, he's this asshole

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_F._Powell,_Jr.#Powell_Memorandum

That's right, if you read that, he openly stated that corproations should get more into politics and basically take it over. And this asshole was appointed to the Supreme Court by Nixon who then voted on this little ol' case

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckley_v._Valeo

Which started our downward spiral. Where corporations slowly started corrupting government to remove key regulations passed in the Great Depression to prevent their abuse of the economy like they did when they caused the Great Depression. They pushed for things like removing Glass-Steagall and changing the Saving and Loans laws which brought us the Great Recession and S&L Crisis respectively.

Keep in mind, this hasn't changed, look at how our Supreme Court is now lined with corporatists and how they voted for Citizen's United and McCutcheon vs FEC which was framed by the corporatists in the government and media as to be great for our liberties and freedom, when really all it did was give more power to the rich and corporations. Our nation is now an Oligarchy (technically a Plutocracy) thanks to the Supreme Court and Congress and the Presidents over the last several decades

http://www.princeton.edu/~mgilens/Gilens%20homepage%20materials/Gilens%20and%20Page/Gilens%20and%20Page%202014-Testing%20Theories%203-7-14.pdf

And it wasn't just the government corporations were taking more power over, it was the media.

http://news.indiana.edu/releases/iu/2014/05/2013-american-journalist-key-findings.pdf

Check this report out, check how journalism has changed so much. How tools they used to use that brought out corruption in both government and corporations were used less and less and looked down on by the media. See how the news media has changed from an emphasis of telling the OBJECTIVE news and more for ratings and being "neutral" (which is not the same as objective, to use sports, neutral would be"well both teams played hard and both teams think they won" and objective would be "Team A won by 30 points against Team B"). Hell, look at the way Climate Change is talked about in the mainstream news outlets. It's almost never talked about and when it is they ALWAYS present it as if it's 50-50. They always have one person against, and one person for. They frame it like there's even a debate on the data when the truth is, 97% of scientists agree that Climate Change is REAL and that WE humans are the cause of it.

No, don't go thinking less government is all we need to do, that's exactly what the CORPORATE media keeps pushing and what all the corporatists in our government want. They want less regulations, less taxes, less interference all so they can maximize their profits at the expense of the well being of our society. Corporations don't give a shit about the society they are in, they were never designed to do so. They were designed to only care about their profits.

But, there is a way we can fix this...

www.wolf-pac.com/the_plan

to push

www.wolf-pac.com/28th

And the good news? It's working

http://vtdigger.org/2014/05/02/vermont-first-state-call-constitutional-convention-get-money-politics/

Vermont has called for it already, there are 10 other states voting on the bill now to push for it, the people are angry at money in politics and the corruption. Join us and fight against the money influences of politics.

Wulfram77

Dec 8, 2013
I think there's a legitimate case for Regular Edition, a Collector's Edition and an Overpriced Ugly Troll Statue Edition. Just try to include all the Collector's edition stuff in the OUTS Edition because to do otherwise is stupid.