Jimquisition: When Piracy Becomes Theft

UltraPic

Dec 5, 2011
Agayek said:
UltraPic said:
How are they "indie" games if they are being sold by a big publisher.
Steam isn't an publisher, it's a distribution service. Your statement is effectively "How is Game Y an indie game when it's sold by GameStop?" You see the dissonance there?
Valve are though, and places like gamestop have never sold "indie" games.

JMV

Sep 25, 2009
As much as it pains me, I have to admit it: I used to pirate these sort of games. There's no justifying it, other than the fact I was under 18 and couldn't actually buy them, since I couldn't pay for anything with credit or debit cards and my parents wouldn't trust putting their info online.

However, since turning 18 last year, I've payed for every single game I've acquired and have gone back and bought almost all of those indie games that I pirated and played for more than 5 minutes. And it wasn't even that expensive.

De_Roll_Le

Dec 18, 2011
Cradle snatchers. That keeps in with Jim's meaning, but it's like they're stealing not only the Developer's baby but also harming the other tiny tots who would have benefit from folks buying the Developer's creation.

Pedo burgler just doesn't sound catchy, it sounds like they steal kiddie fiddlers.

The end was great though, sawing off balls with wood.

incal11

Oct 24, 2008
JMV said:
As much as it pains me, I have to admit it: I used to pirate these sort of games
Why should it pain you when you likely would not have paid for a lot of them if you never tried them before ?
Because of those who insist on calling it theft, and theft is shameful, right ? Since you ended up a better paying audience then this was a sort of "non-shameful theft". A theft that paradoxically brought something.
More than that, by letting yourself feel shame because of other's arbitrary opinions you reduce your horizons to what little you buy on impulse.

A successful indie game is ridiculously profitable, the main reasons for that are the absence of a multi-million ad campaign and no distribution in physical stores. If plenty of people want to pirate it chances are it made a large profit already, plus those who liked it will buy it like you did.

So either it's free publicity or it's not that big of a deal. Calling it "pedo-burglary" is hilarious but bringing on the shame for a vain and immediate sense of moral superiority is what does the real harm.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
500 seeders.... ive seen 50.000 seeders few times. this certainly isnt a popular pirate game you talk about.
as for 20 dollars, 20 dollars may not look much for you, but it certainly is much for people in other countries. yes 60 dollars is far worse, but 20 dolalrs is still 10% of your monthly earning. especially when most of those games arent worth it.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
lol PIRACY IS THEFT. Piracy is one person taking the physical or downloaded copy out of the spectrum and putting it up so others don't have to...
1.Steal the game.
2.buy the game.

so yes Piracy is theft and frankly people making excuses that its not theft...*whispers* likely pirates themselves, There will never be an excuse for piracy it all comes down to you didn't want to pay the money and that's a fact...Why is this a fact? because if the service or game is so bad why would you take the time to pirate it in the first place, last I checked If I had a particular food I didn't like I wouldn't go out of my way to acquire said food.

Simply put it doesn't matter how little drm or how little the game costs its just going to be pirated and with little to no drm it will just be pirated all the harder...hell Steam the dominate force in games is drm If it wasn't you can bet most people would be pirating the games on it *and they infact do on last check*
P.S: and that's coming from a *whisper* pirate.

dnazeri

Jul 2, 2012
My dad came back from a country in the middle east which is not copyright friendly. He brought back a trove of software, among which was World of Goo. I never played the title, but I did load it on my comp. Now I feel pretty shit. I'm off to buy it and give the developers what they deserve.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Even though this thread is beyond ancient, I just want to say I'm shocked at the amount of people saying "it's morally better to pirate the game than to donate the one cent minimum, because it "stops the Humble Indie Bundle losing money". If you're thinking about pirating or paying piss poor amounts for the bundle, you clearly don't give a shit about the developers, and have no fucking right to discuss the most ethical way of ripping them off. If you really, well and truly honestly gave a shit about the HIB or the developers financial well being, and didn't want to make them lose money... YOU'D PAY MORE THAN A COUPLE OF CENTS. IT'S THAT SIMPLE.