Jimquisition: Why Do People Hate EA?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Investigating journalism at it's sexiest. Then it comes to EA it's pretty much Bio be ware.
Fucking Checkpoint takes it's job more seriously than IGN
(and yes I would like a shirt)
I swear, in every single content post, you're there with a horrible pun.
And always in the first few comments.
Do they pay you to do this? Are you some sort of licensed puncrafter?

TallCat

Apr 3, 2010
Thought the video went over pretty well why people hate EA. Thought more time could have been spent explaining how they brutally murdered several developers, but a joy to watch as usual.

[I would like a Gravity Rush shirt, please. Also, Jim is sexy.]
(I finished GR last night and God it was fantastic.)

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Great video, I feel EA always had potential.

(Yes I would like that shirt you charismatic stallion from beyond the stars, the sexy man who enjoys a bit of Jonathon Homes bum and person who all woman want to be with and all men want to be, I would like that shirt.)

Actino

Jul 11, 2011
What if consumers, like me, want EA to spend more money in order to make better quality games?? I don't care about Day 1 DLC, if that's what it takes to finance an amazing game, then I support it.

Not everyone shares my opinion, but lots of people prioritise the quality of the game over the price, so stop acting like it's fact that EA are exploiting everyone. I want good quality games to further the industry so I am happy to pay more for them. If you don't think the games they sell are worth the price, don't buy them.

CaptainOctopus

Oct 5, 2011
Well said Jim! Like any gamer who really cares about this industry I fucking hate parasite companies like EA with a passion! Honestly I can't stand any of the big cooperation's anymore, whether it's Ubisoft, Activision, Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo they can just fuck off for all I care. But I have to say EA really takes the cake when it comes to being super jerks.

They spend hundreds of millions of dollars on developing shitty games and billions on marketing those crappy titles.

They force PC gamers to use awful software full with spyware to play their games.

They have absolutely no shame when it comes to exploiting their consumers through overpriced dlc and various online content while releasing uncompleted products.

They ruin Westwood and the C&C franchise.

They ruin Bullfrog.

They ruin Origin Systems and the Ultima franchise.

They ruin the MOH franchise.

And they are now well on their way to ruin gamedevelopers like DICE, Bioware and Crytek.

-EA Games, Ruins Everything!

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
NCLWC said:
is it wrong that i don't know whats wrong with activision? i never knew people hated activision as well (but then i am naive af so derp)

[also jim's sexilicious and i would like the shirt]
They tend to milk franchises till they die, and actively try to suppress innovation to avoid the risk of not being able to rely on the same brand message, and they canned a bunch of games simply because they wouldn;t be as big a hit as COD, etc.

Plus as I'm wont to point out (simply because I find it so hilarious an example of how they are potentially harming themselves with their refusal to allow innovation and obsession with things being the same all the time) they tried to stop infinity ward making modern warfare so they could just make another World War II game instead. Now think on how much money the MW games have made. Remember how much that the original MW blew people away with its story. If activision had got its way, none of that would have happened. and instead of learning their lesson that they should trust the ideas guys to know what they are doing, they trapped them into making the same brand name game over, and over, and fired those very ideas men that had given them such a solid gold hit to make sure that they got the same game over and over again.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
SkarKrow said:
Everything wrong with EA can be summarised by playing Bad Company 2 for a few hours.
Then play Battlefield 3.

See the difference?
I thought so.
Truth be told, you can even see such issues in the transition from the original Bad Company to its sequel.

I'm left wondering if the best solution would simply be for EA to collapse under it's own tremendous, unsustainable weight, allowing its IPs to scatter to studios that might actually care to grow them as unique series. Granted, you lose competition in the market place, but it's not like EA was healthy competition to begin with...

[I would like a Gravity Rush shirt please. Jim is totally sexy.]

iD_Entity

Nov 21, 2009
I really want to like EA...I really do. Some of their IP's have potential! However crushed it is by the corporate whoriness that is it's being.
Also I would like the gravity rush shirt. And Jim....Hahahahaha, I'm sorry, I can't quite finish that sentence. I would really like that shirt though.

Orlake

Jun 1, 2011
I have my Red Alert 2 CD sitting on my shelf, and on the back of the case I've written "R.I.P Westwood"

EA will never have my forgiveness. ever.

able_to_think

Apr 7, 2010
Thanks for reminding me about Bullfrog Jim, now I'm depressed.

(I would like a Gravity Rush shirt please um also Jim is sexy)

Grey Walker

Jul 9, 2010
It's actually hilarious they had to ask. Wikipedia has 1/3 of the EA page dedicated to the criticisms of EA.

Personally, I hate EA for what they did to the Ultima series. As far as I've seen, it was the first series with a loyal fanbase that they destroyed.

Capcha: wicked witch

...Well played.

Spartan212

Sep 10, 2011
I skimmed through EA's 10K (Their official financials as reported to the Securities and Exchange Commission in the US) for their fiscal year ending Mar 31, 2012. I've been a financial analyst for about 13 years, so I'll chalk it up as professional curiosity
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/712515/000119312512249324/d318259d10k.htm

Found some interesting tidbits (my thoughts after quotes):

"On May 7, 2012, we announced a plan of restructuring to align our cost structure with our ongoing digital transformation. Under this plan, we anticipate reducing our workforce and incurring other costs. We expect the majority of these actions to be completed by September 30, 2012. These costs will consist of severance and other employee-related costs"- Looks like more people will be getting axed

"In June 2008, Geoffrey Pecover filed an antitrust class action in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, alleging that EA obtained an illegal monopoly in a discreet antitrust market that consists of "league-branded football simulation video games" by bidding for, and winning, exclusive licenses with the NFL, Collegiate Licensing Company and Arena Football League. The parties initiated settlement negotiations in early May 2012 and subsequently reached a non-binding settlement in principle; however, no settlement agreement has been approved by the court as of the date of the filing. As a result, we recognized a $27 million accrual in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012 associated with the potential settlement." - As an accounting rule, you only accrue losses when you are "reasonably certain" you are going to lose.

"A cornerstone of our brand strategy is to publish products that can be iterated, or sequeled, and that can be integrated across multiple game-playing devices"

"In fiscal year 2012, revenue from sales of FIFA 12 and Battlefield 3 represented approximately 13 percent and 11 percent, respectively" - Their two biggest games. Was surprised BF3 is bigger than Madden

"In the MMO game business, our primary competitor is Activision Blizzard." - Lulz

"Our business is based on the creation, acquisition, exploitation and protection of intellectual property" - I'm not sure why they would use this word. I'm sure it's not insidious, but it just seemed odd

"We have significantly reduced the number of games that we develop, publish and distribute: in fiscal year 2011, we published 36 primary packaged goods titles, and in fiscal year 2012, we published 22 primary packaged goods titles, including our MMO role-playing game Star Wars: The Old Republic. In fiscal year 2013, we expect to release 14 primary packaged goods titles and plan to build additional online features, content and services around each of these titles. Publishing fewer titles means that we concentrate more of our development spending on each title, and driving "hit" titles often requires large marketing budgets and media spend." - More homogenization/more DLC

"Our operating results will be adversely affected if we do not consistently meet our product development schedules" - Works as a business concept, not necessarily in the creative field

That's all I'm going to copy/paste. There is more, but these stood out to me

Wrann

Sep 22, 2009
Good lord 5 million copies to justify Dead space 3, that's WAY to much. EA is a huge problem in the game market, they need to change or they will die, hopefully soon. Defiantly would like more companies to have the policies of Steam and adapt not hold onto draconian beliefs.

(I would like a Gravity Rush shirt please, also Jim is sexy.)

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Wait... EA once admitted the horrible things they did to Westwood and other peaceful developer-tribes their empire assimilated? Perhaps it was a last cry for help from what empathy remained in that cold Leviathan of a publisher.

[I, too, would like a Gravity Rush shirt, please. Jim is the reborn avatar of Atlantis' fabled sex-god, an undescribably sexy deity possessing mindshattering abilities of pleasures and vitality. He can blow your mind with but a thought!]

Did I overdo it?

Edit: Oh, toss, US residents only. :< Suppose it's back to my potato-peel tunic... Wait, the cossacs burned it.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
I used to be one of those guys who defended the publishers left and right, using the "they're a business, what do you expect?" defense, and while I mostly stand by it, I don't shout it out as loudly as I once may have. It's no surprise to me that Hollywood is out of touch with the regular, typical moviegoer demographic (True Transformers fans who would care about the detail given to their beloved franchise don't substantiate a large enough audience for Paramount to give the director's helm to anyone besides Bay), but for a game company to be so distant and detached from gamers that they need their arm twisted to loosen up on an obviously-broken DRM system like SecuROM. When paying customers are complaining about copy protection keeping them from doing the very thing their paying dollars should allow them to do, it's time to rethink one's strategy.

Okay, enough faff, I'm here for the Gravity Rush shirt, which I humbly ask for your consideration on, Jim, you sexy beast, you. Did I mention I just favorited your original "anti-piracy" video on your YouTube channel? Just wanted to throw that out there.

DarthWario

Aug 21, 2011
EAs reputation is so bad I think it's attracting bad juju just on reputation alone.

I personally blame everything thats wrong with ME 3 on EA, for instance. It makes me happy. In the pants.

(Oh, and as much as I would love that T-Shirt, Jim has turned his back on his British bretheren! Remember your roots lad? DO YOU?)

(Still sexy though. Thank God for thrift.)

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Undeadpool said:
Not that I'm going to defend EA against what is a SLEW of completely valid points, but I really do hate the Valve double-standard. I get that Valve has done a lot to foster customer loyalty, and frankly I've probably spent more on Steam than on analog games over the last three years, but I'm still a little peeved when they're just given a pass and treated like this scrappy little underdog. I'm thinking two things specifically: Steam's always-on internet requirement and their pairing with Gamestop. Both of which are either dismissed or outright praised. A partnership. With GAMESTOP. One of the most REVILED companies in the industry (at least on the internet), but the moment Valve announces you'll be able to go into their shop to buy Steam Bucks, "GO VALVE! Looking out for their consumers!"
And yeah, Steam is "always on." Yes, you can go into "Offline Mode," but ONLY if you already have a connection. Internet went out unexpectedly? TOO BAD. Just as when EA does good, they should get praised (multiple free DLC packs for ME3), Valve should get taken to task when they do wrong. But neither of those things happen because even praising EA for giving away free content is unacceptable.

[I would like a shirt and Jim is sexy]
If I may....

The whole "Steam is always-on DRM!!!" is utter bullshit. I've never once had issue with the offline mode. (save the few times I've run Steam in the beta-update mode)

If I know I'll be wanting to play a game I either make sure it's updated or I turn auto-updates off; while making sure the Steam client itself hasn't updated. Or, if the client has updated recently, I make sure to update and/or run any games I may want to play.

Sticking to those procedures, should I suddenly lose connection to the 'net, I can still play my games. No "not available in offline mode" or some such bullocks. I just play as I normally would. (sans the online features of course)

Granted, I know my case isn't universal, but I can't help but feel a LOT of the complaints about Steams offline mode would never exist if people actually took the time to understand how it works. This of course is not to say it doesn't still have moments of bugginess.

If I ever need to reinstall a game or worry about a game not being "available", I can just create a back-up using the in-Steam utility. Then I can uninstall, reinstall, and access my games whenever/wherever without having to worry about a connection.

As for the Steam Wallet cards now at Gamestop, I do agree it's rather aggravating that to get one I have to pay cash to Gamestop. However, I also look at it as a jab at Gamestop because, for quite some time now, they've been trying to compete with and undermine Steam at every turn. Yet, here they are selling product specifically made for; and by; Steam. The irony is quite delicious. (if still God damned annoying)

Also, when EA has a moment of doing something good (moments of which are few-and-far between now-a-days), I do praise them. Good lord, I used to sing their praises all the time some years ago. I was quite fond of them. However, as of late, most of their "good will" has been nothing but PR stunts to either cover up their goof-ups or "make up" for something egregious they did to the player base.

Take Dead Space 2, for example. The PC players were given virtually all of the premium DLC for free. Quite the gesture, right?

Thing is, they were caught not only putting that DLC on the discs for all version but even including the DLC in the PC game files. Which doesn't sound too bad until you realize they said at game launch that the DLC would only be available for the console versions.

Needless to say, when this whole mess came to light, EA had to do something to "make up" for it. So they just unlocked the content in the PC game files. Whizz-bang-boom suddenly the PC players got a bunch of DLC for free.

So no, I don't ignore EAs gestures of good will. I simply take them with a grain of salt until I make sure there's no ulterior motive behind them. If I see nothing egregious, I will openly praise them for it. But again, those moments have been very rare lately.

[on a side note, do not take my message as a personal attack or anything. I just get sick of hearing people complain about the offline-mode, seeing as it's actually quite reliable now. I also get sick of people complaining about aspects of Steam that either aren't an issue or aren't as bad as these people claim; all the while the REAL issues with Steam go unnoticed. Or rather, un-complained-about. Like the lack of currency conversion in the store, the somewhat buggy cloud-save feature for some games, or the frequency with which the Friends network has been going down lately. Those are just a few of the things that need to be complained about now; the things that actually need fixing.]