Jimquisition: Why So Serious?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Why So Serious?

Jim makes a point about humor and defensive fandoms the only way he knows how - by dressing up in silly costumes and exploiting tired old film references.

Watch Video

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Why So Serious?

Jim makes a point about humor and defensive fandoms the only way he knows how - by dressing up in silly costumes and exploiting tired old film references.

Watch Video
This was a good episode. I agree that people often take things way too seriously and need to joke about a bit more. Even the games are getting a bit too serious. Star Wars 1313 was going to be a gritty reboot. Of the star wars universe. Because we need one apparently. And it was going to take place on coruscant and the guys making it said it would be a lot like new york. GTA IV in space. Because if anything needed realism, it's the series with space monks that use telekinetic powers to throw things and shoot lightning at each other.

Saints Row IV and Far Cry 3 blood dragon seem to be the only games last year that actually wanted to have fun.

Oh, by the way, this video is still unlisted on your show page.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
One does have to recognize the difference between light hearted ribbing of something and legitimate trolling. Although that can be difficult sometimes.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
This one really hit home. As someone who adores a good gag, I get hit often with the oversensitive fanboy rage reflex. Occasionally it's deserved I suppose. I'm not above a bit of personal reflection. But more often than not it's someone not only missing the joke, but missing it then turning around to miss it again, then running over the joke with a 4x4 truck.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
But Jim, if we ever take anything in jest then how will we ever be taken seriously? Or something like that.

Those crowd characters look like they belong in a horror game. Until you see that one cross-eyed one.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Heh, very true, though I wonder how Yahtzee would take your comment about most good jokes coming from a place of love. One of things I like about the Pokemon fandom is that most of the fans I've encountered are perfectly happy to laugh about the series stranger side, story flaws and contradictions, shame there aren't more fandoms around like that.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Good one again. Nice points and indeed people should really listen to you.

Although I think you meant Police Squad when you said Naked Gun.
Police Squad is more a spoof on detectives and Naked Gun has it's aim set more on spy movies like James Bond.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Army of Darkness is my favourite movie of all time.
I will never contest anyone who claims it's a stupid and poorly made film.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Absolutely agree. We as gamers just need to have some fun and not get too serious about EVERYTHING. I am a huge fun of Gran Turismo 5 and 6 and spot the flaws in the games and laugh at most of them including the very strange crowd in the background. It's just good to have a bit of fun. Similar to Fallout 3, yes it's not the best game ever but I love it and is one of my favourite games and can laugh at the silly glitches like talking to a random NPC and mid convo they just fly into the air like Superman.
At the end of the day, it's about having fun and a great big laugh, while you play your favourite games and honestly...

Why So Serious?

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
In defense of some of the people you talk about, sometimes it's hard to tell online when someone is joking. There are very likely people who hate Sony that will use those character models as a reason why the PS4 sucks.

On a side note, intentionally making comically bad character models for a racing game might actually be a good source of free publicity.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Why So Serious?

You seem to be taking this harmless issue way too seriously, Jim.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, as a Sonic fan, if I couldn't find a way to laugh or joke about some of the stuff that's happened to that franchise, I'd find myself stuck in an almost permanent depression whenever I thought about it.

But don't worry Jim, there's one sure fire way to let everyone know you're joking! Make/Put a Kappa face beside it.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I don't laugh at myself specifically because of my upbringing and other social environmental factors.

However, I did laugh at Critical Miss' comic on Spec Ops The Line.

CAPTCHA: change yourself

YOU CAN'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO CAPTCHA, YOU'RE NOT MY REAL PARENT ANYWAY!

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
I still cant get over how the Sniper woman looks in Metal Gear Solid 5. Maybe her clothes (or lack of) have some sort of explanation that I don't get as I've not played any of the games myself, but come on. Why is every male character in that trailer dressed absolutely normal, but the one woman has super tight, revealing clothes and a tied together bikini. Shes not blending in with the environment or gaining any functionality from that outfit, but oh well...

kailus13 said:
Those crowd characters look like they belong in a horror game. Until you see that one cross-eyed one.
Is that a really subtle MLP reference? :p

JenSeven said:
Although I think you meant Police Squad when you said Naked Gun.
Police Squad is more a spoof on detectives and Naked Gun has it's aim set more on spy movies like James Bond.
I always though those were made by the same guys and that Naked Gun was just a movie version of the best Police Squad gags. But I have no clue, haven't seen them in ages. I guess I should re watch them soon.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I really like this episode, but according to the new forum Code of Conduct I'm not allowed to have a sense of humor about things I like, because you do, and you're a content creator for the site, and the audience isn't allowed to do anything that a content creator does.

You ruined it Jim, thank God for nothing.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
JoJo said:
Heh, very true, though I wonder how Yahtzee would take your comment about most good jokes coming from a place of love. One of things I like about the Pokemon fandom is that most of the fans I've encountered are perfectly happy to laugh about the series stranger side, story flaws and contradictions, shame there aren't more fandoms around like that.
If you haven't noticed, some of Yahtzee's best reviews were of games that wound up getting on his "top five best games" list.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
What I take from this episode is that Jim thinks he's a fucking comedian extraordinaire and that us plebeians just don't get it man, just don't understand his humour and that it all sails straight over our heads. Well screw that, I'm done watching this show and that smug pretentious colossus. Tired Joker references, really?

Poe's Law wheeeeeeeeeee! I'm having a laugh because I love Jim.