Jimquisition: You Should Be Mad at Diablo III's Always Online DRM

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
Lol, I can't help but look at Blizzard with pitying eyes when they allow it to get to the point where LATENCY is an issue in a SINGLE PLAYER game and they really couldn't give a toss.

Their ambition has clouded their judgment, clearly.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Eric the Orange said:
Ah see that is the thing, your assuming this is about anti-piracy measures. And I believe that can be debated. My guess would be that it's to try and make everyone use the real money Auction House. So the end goal is the same, more money, but what they are getting money from is what's different.
It was intended to do both.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
You know what else is sh!t publishers think we'll just eat right up?: Games that are broken on release.

You know what game Jim loved and had nothing bad to say about?: Skyrim.

You know where this is going?: Yeah.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Spot on.

I'm just happy with myself - I was smart enough to not buy this game. And I never will. We have new good stuff coming, such as Torchlight 2. Do we need a Titan Quest clone with always online DRM which is Diablo 3?
But yeah, I have to agree with person above about Skyrim. PS3 version was simply broken. And it's still broken. And it was a way more severe stuff than Diablo 3. And way more inexcusable.
Gosh, Fallout 3 and New Vegas GoTY editions are plain broken/not work on PS3 yet they're being sold (I'm not sure if that's true for every country, I've heard those games was banned from sale in some). With all that in mind you just should never buy Bethesda games ever. That is, if you respect yourself. I know many people don't.

WildFire15

Jun 18, 2008
I agree with Jim, though I'm not sure if DRM is the right world. Total waste of time is probably more accurate as I've heard somewhere (though I'm not sure if it's true or not) that the game's already been cracked and is played using a server emulator or some such. There's no excuse for forcing even single players to play the game, especially when they got bored of Diablo 3 and what to force Diablo 4 on us they can just shut down the servers for D3 and leave us with nothing to play unless we get D4.
I think we should start a campaign to demand Blizzard makes some form of offline mode that can't interact with any online functions. Can't be that difficult to do.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
I could not agree with you more, Mr. Sterling!

If Blizzard keeps this sort of thing up, they already have the last dollar they're ever going to get from me. That was from SC2. There's no way I'm buying Diablo III. (Hell, Diablo is just a mouse-killing click-fest anyway, as far as I'm concerned.)

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Personally, I think its the Auction houses fault. The Always-connected DRM measure is to make sure people dont fuck with the Auction house. There are probably other means to prevent such, but they chose this method, and now its biting them us in the ass.

Though, to be honest, Im just going to alame Activision for this...

*Edit*

cursedseishi said:
3) This IS DRM. If they wanted to protect their AH economy to ensure the biggest chunk of cash interest came their way, all they had to do was separate the Online Characters from the Offline ones. It's not hard, its been done before trust me, Diablo 2 certainly had no issue with it. Hell, if they were worried about hacks and everything, they could just have a 1-time Online check each time the game is launched before letting you decide whether or not you played offline or online.
Damn, you said it better than I did...

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I have a way that Blizzard can fix this. They should just call it Diablo Online. Their new MMORPG. Problem solved.

Personally I hate this always online shit for single player which is why I will never buy Diablo III.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I want to play Diablo 3 myself, but I just don't have the money to afford it, right now. I enjoyed what little bit of the open beta I was "able" to play, but, the open beta did harbinger the potential inconveniences of the always-online requirement. The stories I've been hearing recently of the connection and server issues definitely makes me think twice about buying this game, at the very least waiting a few months for the issues to be hashed out before taking the plunge.

I agree with Jim that, if I pay $60 for a game with the expectation of being able to play it, then I damn well better be able to play it and not be locked out from the game due to bullshit technical issues that could have been avoided by design. However, my response is not to complain or get angry; that is a waste of my time and energies (being older, you get a lot more conservative about how you use those things). My response is to simply not buy the game and move on to something else. If the game companies want my money, they're going to have to stop with the shenanigans and try to have a quality product with quality customer service. I am the customer, and they are supposed to please me, not the other way around. If game companies are not going to try to provide quality products with quality service for the money I pay, then as far as I am concerned, the entire game industry can just go out-of-business; I really don't give two shits. I'll find other things to do, more productive and fulfilling things.

EDIT: Just to waylay any miscommunication with the above, obviously, the game industry is in no danger of actually going out-of-business; however, I would not be surprised to see the big publishers eventually fall to the smaller studios that don't pull all this BS. I expect an asteroid to hit the industry, one day, and wipe out the big, lumbering dinosaurs, leaving the more adaptable, smaller creatures to thrive in the aftermath.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Any way I can get that shit rant on a t-shirt? It sums up my feelings on things quite nicely.

2012 is coming to look like the year companies pushed how far customers could be exploited digitally, and the year customers pushed back. Between finished material being re-sold to us, a game or two asking us to buy/download the real ending, and now this, as much as I'm tired of the negetivity, it's getting harder to write off complaints as entitlement. That is, unless you're so pro capitalist you think a company could litterally shit in the box and customers still have no right to complain and can only vote with their wallet. It's hardly entitlement to expect that Blizzard pop for (or at least lease) some extra servers to meet expected damand, not expect people that shelled out money for a game to wait a month or two for the hype to die out. I have very little respect for anyone that makes the argument that someone has the right to screw you over. When that happens, we capitalism stops being a benidficial system, and starts being that alien face hugger.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
TheKasp said:
If you're paying upwards of $60 dollars for a game that you can't play when you choose to play it and you aren't complaining, you're contributing to the biggest problems that faces the game industry.
Yes. Because then you are the FUCKING IDIOT who bought D3, knowing about the always online requirements and by logical conclusion that on a worldwide launch of one of the most anticipated titles would have serious issued for the first days, and then you DARE to complain.

You are a moron if you thought there won't be any problems.
You are a moron if you bought the game, knowing everything about it and complain afterwards.
Inform yourself, vote with your wallet.

The last three lines are not directed at anyone in particular. Now I watch and see if Jim was smart enough to come to this conclusion or if he rides on the popular opinion again.
Sorry, but I still think the moral of this story is "publishers shouldn't be allowed to pull shit like this* and get away with it", not "anyone who didn't foresee that Blizzard didn't do their job properly is an idiot". The fact that everyone should have realized that everything even remotely Blizzard related went offline(including WoW and SC2, because VIDEO GAMES) when D3 was launched doesn't redeem Blizzard the slightest.

* the online only-singleplayer, that is. Although not spending the necessary money on servers doesn't really help them.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Meh.
When people started defending the always-online DRM this is exactly what they tried saying wouldn't happen. Call me a bit childish, but I'm actually quite pleased to see these same people have the error of their argument slammed into their faces.
Because something DID go wrong, and there's a good million or so people who still can't play so much as single-player properly in the game they purchased and should have been able to play a week ago.

GasparNolasco

Dec 13, 2010
Totally agree with Jim in this one.
Jim should stop raising valid points, though. I don't like agreeing with him all the time.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Walter Byers said:
D3 doesn't have anymore DRM than WoW. Calling it DRM is either dishonest or ignorant on your part.
While that's a factually true statement, and Jim was a little schizophrenic about the point, the main complaint is that the game was literally unplayable for vast numbers of people for an unacceptably large period of time.

Which brings me to my question: let's say Blizzard personally wired everyone's houses with fiberoptic cables and bought all of Amazon's servers so there were zero login issues or lag on their end.

With that scenario in mind, would anyone care about having to be online to play Diablo III?

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Gekidami said:
You know what else is sh!t publishers think we'll just eat right up?: Games that are broken on release.

No i dont. please continue. im anxious to see where its going. my money is on a strawman argument. but please. fascinate me.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
draythefingerless said:
Gekidami said:

No i dont. please continue. im anxious to see where its going. my money is on a strawman argument. but please. fascinate me.
Just sayin', Jim isnt immune to a 'chocolate' moustache. Seems he's willing to call out some BS, but ignore others.

This deserved to get called out just as much as (if not even more than) online DMR:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaeU3DvW5-o

Yet it got nothing but praise.