JK Simmons Joins Justice League as Commissioner Gordon

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
JK Simmons Joins Justice League as Commissioner Gordon

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1293/1293530.png

The Academy Award-winner has recently been cast in the role previously played by Gary Oldman.

With Superman vs. Batman: Dawn of Justice set to dominate theaters in just a couple weeks (if the tracking numbers [http://collider.com/batman-vs-superman-box-office-opening-weekend-tracking/] are to be believed), DC has already gotten the ball rolling on the next chapter in the saga -- or should I say, chapters -- with the Justice League movies.

Directed by seemingly the only man that DC trusts, Zack Snyder, the first Justice League movie is set to begin filming in April, and will see "Batman (Ben Affleck), Superman (Henry Cavill), Wonder Woman (Gal Gadot), Aquaman (Jason Momoa), the Flash (Ezra Miller) and Cyborg (Ray Fisher) teaming up to combat a threat beyond each member's capabilities."

If that lineup of talent wasn't already enough to get even the most casual comic book fan interested, The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-adds-jk-simmons-873227] is...uh...reporting that yet another prominent name has been added to the cast.

"The Justice League has found its Commissioner Gordon," writes the Reporter. "Oscar winner J.K. Simmons has been cast as the Gotham City police commissioner."

Talk about pitch-perfect casting. Simmons is perhaps best known to Marvel fans as the hard-nosed publisher J. Jonah Jameson from Sam Raimi's Spider-Man films, a role so well received that fans launched a massive petition [http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/j-k-simmons-responds-to-petition-to-bring-him-back-as-j-jonah-jameson-in-marvels-spider-man/] aiming to bring him back in the subsequent Amazing Spider-Man reboots. While it never came to fruition, obviously, Simmons did say that "Being in those movies with Sam (Raimi) was one of the great joys of my career. It was a super fun character so I'll never close the door on anything."

Regardless, we can likely expect Simmons to bring the same level of tenacity to the role of Commissioner Gordon, if his Oscar-winning turn as an abusive music instructor in Whiplash is any indication. Though for Batman's sake, I hope he drops the habit of flying out on Gordon mid-conversation, because Simmons will have none of that sh*t.

Justice League is currently set for a Nov. 17, 2017 release, while Part Two is scheduled to drop on June 14, 2019.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/justice-league-adds-jk-simmons-873227]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Also VA'd in Portal 2 if i remember correctly, as it bugged me for ages where i recognised the voice from. He really did nail that Spiderman film role, was a joy to see unfold on screen. Commissioner Gordon seemed a fairly uninteresting character to be though.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Not that I have anything against the casting... But, why does the Justice League movie need a Commissioner Gordon?

I mean, if there is going to be a threat that requires the big guns, then its most likely an extraterrestrial invasion. And, Man of Steel already did Zod and friends, and it appears the DoJ will have Doomsday. So, that leaves... Thanagarians?

But yeah, still not seeing how Gordon is going to be anything more than a cameo.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Not gonna lie, was rooting for Cranston for Gordon, but I love Simmons in anything he's in.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
"I WANT PICTURES! PICTURES OF BATMAN!"

SirSullymore said:
Not gonna lie, was rooting for Cranston for Gordon, but I love Simmons in anything he's in.
You're correct.
He's worth loving.

I'll be interested to see what he does with the role.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
He's always gonna be JJJ to me.

...and Tenzin.

...and Grunkle Ford.

...and Commissioner Gordon, I guess.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
undeadsuitor said:
madwarper said:
I mean, if there is going to be a threat that requires the big guns, then its most likely an extraterrestrial invasion. And, Man of Steel already did Zod and friends, and it appears the DoJ will have Doomsday. So, that leaves... Thanagarians?
Darkseid

And then Darkseid will join Apocolypse and Thanos and start a "Giant 8 foot tall blue/purple final arc villain" club
Darkseid is grey sir.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
SirSullymore said:
Now that you mention it, somebody photoshopped Cranston as Lex Luthor on the cover of either Forbes or Fortune Magazine a couple of years ago.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
SirSullymore said:
Came to say this. He did the voice for Gordon in the Year One animated movie so there's precedence for him in the DC universe. Plus, could you imagine the internet shit storm that would ensue if DC announced that Walter White was playing Commissioner Gordon? That alone would clinch millions of dollars. Plus he just suits the character so well. Oh well! I'd bet money they approached him about it but he turned it down.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
The guy does great work, but I'm having trouble seeing him playing Gordon. I guess it's because J. Jonah Jameson is burned into my mind for Simmons visually, and he and Gordon couldn't be further apart I feel. Doesn't help that he also did Cave Johnson.
But hey, the guy pulled of Tenzin and Stanford, and they're certainly not J.J., so he has the range. Perhaps he will make me a believer.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
undeadsuitor said:
madwarper said:
Darkseid

And then Darkseid will join Apocolypse and Thanos and start a "Giant 8 foot tall blue/purple final arc villain" club
Hate to burst your bubble, but Darkseid is DC while Thanos and Apocalypse are from MARVEL. Unless, you are just mashing villains together, then that's perfectly acceptable for me. Aside from the fact that Thanos has held infinite power before and, thus, has no need for other villains to share the spotlight with.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Thanos aint got shit on Darksied, mostly because I think the anti-life equation is a much more interesting concept than the infinity gauntlet.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
SirSullymore said:
Let's keep Cranston open for playing a decent Luthor. If the need arises, he can still save the name. While killing whatever character Eisenberg plays, hopefully.

Apr 5, 2008
So J Jonah Jameson will be moving to Gotham and becoming a police commissioner?

This guy is awesome...maybe he can help the movies not suck, but if it's coming from Zack Snyder that's a huge ask for anyone.

Politrukk

May 5, 2015
SirSullymore said:
that was an option?

well first I was enthusiastic, now I'm dissapointed.

No but that's a good casting call.

Allthough I have to say I've grown really accustomed to Gotham's Gordon and The Flash's well... Flash so both of those parts seem a bit weird to me now.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Wasn't an option per say (though as JUMBO PALACE said, I wouldn't be surprised if he was offered), but he played Gordon in the Year One animated flick which is what made him my permanent Gordon fancast.