Job interview

mortalsatsuma

Nov 24, 2009
I am going for my first job interview tomorrow and I was just wondering if any escapists who have jobs or who have experienced a job interview before could give me a few pointers on what kind of questions I could expect to be asked and what techniques are good to use. :)

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
mortalsatsuma said:
I am going for my first job interview tomorrow and I was just wondering if any escapists who have jobs or who have experienced a job interview before could give me a few pointers on what kind of questions I could expect to be asked and what techniques are good to use. :)
Whatever you do, don't lie about anything, especially qualifications or skills, as employers have the right to request relevant certification.

If they ask why you've not had a job before (depending on how long it is since you left school) don't shrug and say you don't know, tell them something interesting, like if you've done volunteering or went travelling or something. It shows that you have initiative. If you were in college then simply say that.

Eye contact! Don't fiddle with jewellery or your hair (it denotes lack of confidence) and speak clearly. Don't be afraid to use a little humour, but steer clear of controversial or dirty jokes.

Hope that helps!

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
It's all about charisma. If you have it, use it, if you don't, fake it.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Dress one level above what you expect to be wearing on the job. If it's a warehouse job where you're going to get dirty all day, decent slacks and a polo shirt is good. If you're going to be wearing a dress shirt and slacks everyday, wear a suit. But if you're going to be in that warehouse job, don't wear the suit.

Be honest with your answers, and tell them exactly what they want to know, and try not to be nervous. They're just people.

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
mortalsatsuma said:
If at all possible learn something about the person you are interviewing with such as where they went to college or shit like that before you interview with them. Then in the portion where they let you talk casually slip it in. It makes them feel comfortable and like you took the effort to be "Friendly" or whatever. Tell them about the things you like about their company and the work they do, maybe even a specific program or project or something that they have. Also after you finish the interview send them a nice hand written thank you card. When they are trying to make their decision and that baby comes across their desk that's money in the bank.

All of these things are taking into consideration that you are trying to get a real job and not just working retail or fastfood or something. In that case just relax and be honest as others said (this applies no matter what job). Good luck, and don't expect to hear back from them the next day or anything.

Lisolet

Mar 27, 2010
Be early but no more than 5 minutes early. Really, that's important. Be ready with questions for them and not about time off or pay. Do some research on the company and ask questions about them, the job you'll be doing, etc. Interviewers love it when you know about their company and showing you put in the effort to learn will impress them. Let your personality show, they don't want automatons. Treat the interviewer(s) like people, chat them up. Don't fidget, take notes, ask questions and hide your nervousness.

Like others have said - be confident yet not arrogant. Tomorrow you are a salesman and you are the product - sell yourself to them, let them know what an enthusiastic employee you'll be.

Good luck!!

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
mortalsatsuma said:
Be sure to assert how you you would be a good asset to the employer, and remember to dress for success.

May I also ask what kind of job it is?

Lisolet

Mar 27, 2010
jpakaferrari said:
Also after you finish the interview send them a nice hand written thank you card. When they are trying to make their decision and that baby comes across their desk that's money in the bank.
For sure, send a thank you note - excellent point - but I think email thank-you's are ok and they get there faster. It may be a question of company culture.

Sigel

Jul 6, 2009
Dress nicely, be positive, and speak clearly. Make eye contact and have confidence in yourself. It has always worked for me.

mortalsatsuma

Nov 24, 2009
Ham_authority95 said:
mortalsatsuma said:
Be sure to assert how you you would be a good asset to the employer, and remember to dress for success.

It's nothing major, just a job at a Waitrose supermarket branch, but I've heard they are pretty strict on who they hire. I just really want to get this job as I could really do with some money at the moment

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Johnnyallstar said:
Be honest with your answers, and tell them exactly what they want to know, and try not to be nervous. They're just people.
They are just people and if you're successful you'll likely be seeing quite a lot of the interviewer in your job so being friendly and likable is very important. I tend to get into conversations with the interviews and we just chat about stuff for a while. Last one I pretty much got invited to join a band with the boss. It's a good way to avoid annoying interview questions.

It's a good idea though to think up of some answers to questions that are pretty common like why you want to work there, or strengths and weaknesses, anything you figure you might have a hard time answering on the spot. Floundering for answers doesn't reflect too well on your confidence and credibility.

When you have to talk about weaknesses mention ways that you're working on improving them, don't just say you're bad at something and then leave it at that. Less experienced interviewers will rely on questions like these whereas good interviewers can come up with some trickier questions. Think quickly about exactly what they're asking you, even if you don't answer the entire question it's better to answer promptly and with detail. Don't give extremely long winded answers but definitely don't give really short answers either.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
GOT A JOB INTERVIEW!
IT Technician at a VERY RESPECTABLE high school. its intake includes darras hall, which is where newcastle unied football players own houses they actually live in
first job after High School which i dont technically leave for a few weeks, so i only have a bit of real world xp :)
made a good impression on the phone, as i had to rearrange a major holiday (round europe tour) to fit in the interview. a day later, and i would have had to cancel the interview
any advice?

mortalsatsuma said:
Ham_authority95 said:
mortalsatsuma said:

It's nothing major, just a job at a Waitrose supermarket branch, but I've heard they are pretty strict on who they hire. I just really want to get this job as I could really do with some money at the moment
thats pretty high class. i dont have waitrose nearby. living in newcastle, they think we dont have any spare money or time to shop with between dying of hypochondria and going down mines
id be offended if they werent right :)

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Two important questions to be ready to answer:
1) What made you choose this job
2) What skills and qualifications will you bring to this job (he/she may ask for a story about something impressive you did in the past).

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
As a guy in charge of HR who does interviews, just try to work on your body language.
As much as you answer from the mouth, the majority of my understanding of you comes from reading your body language.
In fact, any question I ask is to see how you react more so than what you say.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
maxben said:
As a guy in charge of HR who does interviews, just try to work on your body language.
As much as you answer from the mouth, the majority of my understanding of you comes from reading your body language.
wow i guess you know your stuff
i had heard that 20% of the interview is answers answers and 80% is physical, as in appearence and body language

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
The Cheezy One said:
maxben said:
wow i guess you know your stuff
i had heard that 20% of the interview is answers answers and 80% is physical, as in appearence and body language
I love those BS statistics!
But seriously, how do you pretend charisma? Body language.
How do you pretend expertise/communication skills? It's in the way you speak and not what you say.
Though from what I understand this is a tech job, so technical skills are going to be important too :)