Joe Danger Devs: XBLA is a "Slaughterhouse" for Small Studios

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
GamesB2 said:
That just sounds odd... it sounds more like they weren't confident in their own product.

On xbla you get a free trial... and if I thoroughly enjoy that trail I buy the full game.

If it received fairly good reviews then it would have received fairly good sales on any platform.
You also get free trails on PSN too man.

oranger

May 27, 2008
As much as I dislike microsoft and the 360, the guy has to actually describe WHY these stats exist, why indie games disappear...he just says they do, not how, dood.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
GamesB2 said:
That just sounds odd... it sounds more like they weren't confident in their own product.

On xbla you get a free trial... and if I thoroughly enjoy that trail I buy the full game.

If it received fairly good reviews then it would have received fairly good sales on any platform.
That's an excellent point. Releasing any game on multiple systems will increase sales.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
oranger said:
As much as I dislike microsoft and the 360, the guy has to actually describe WHY these stats exist, why indie games disappear...he just says they do, not how, dood.
Indeedie. Also, how many commerical studios fail to ever sell big numbers and break even? Most of them, I'm willing to wager.

Same is true of online browser based games - for every Desktop Defence, and Several Journeys of Reemus [http://www.kongregate.com/games/zeebarf/the-several-journeys-of-reemus] (and its sequels), there are thousands of games that never reach more than 10,000 plays, if that.

And the iPhone/Smartphone app market is just as bad, if not worse as you have to purchase a Mac before you can program for the iPhone at all.

Basically, I think he's saying this because he's afraid of XBLA - probably released something their before and it bombed, whereas on PSN, it did well. But thats just my guess.

As for the figures, I call Bullshit on that unless he reveals his sources.

Hawker101

Jul 6, 2010
There was easy way he could've gotten the numbers, release the game on both XBLA and PSN on the same day and compare the sales. I call BS on his argument that indie games go to XBLA to die. If the game is good, you won't have a problem selling it.

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
It's probably because of the huge deluge of XBLA titles, no one wants to look through a couple thousand titles to find something good. In comparison The PSN has only got around less than two hundred downloadable games, so I can understand why he would think that.

aaaaaDisregard

Feb 16, 2010
RedLynx sold more than 800k copies of Trials HD (as of March 2010) without much of a marketing support. That's an example. With 4-man studio you don't need nearly as many sales to break even, so that shouldn't be a problem for a really good game, should it?

The competition is stiff indeed, but that's a good thing for a players - we've got a lot of games to choose from, and don't have to buy garbage (of which there's a lot in XBLA), as there's always something interesting in each genre. But the thing is, it's usually just several good games for the genre (and rarely one great one), so you don't have to compete with EVERYONE - your game just have to be good enough to consider it among tons of trash.

So the reason for XBLA bashing is either they don't really believe in the quality of their game (and its ability to compete with the best of XBLA), or Sony gives developers some benefits for PSN-exclusivity, and these benefits looked better for the team, than potential XBLA sales.

P.S. Oh, and remember the fantastic Trials HD - maybe these guys just saw it and thought they've got no chances?

P.P.S. I haven't played Joe Danger - all of the above is just extrapolation.

P.P.P.S. 1.5mils for Castle Crashers, 370k for N+, 360k for Braid and Undertow with 625k. Are these all high-budget games from huge developers? Compare that to Shadow Complex with just over 400k sales, so you'd have the idea of how marketing and developer's size correlates with the number of copies sold.

Jul 22, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
GamesB2 said:

You also get free trails on PSN too man.
Well I don't own a ps3... yet... so I didn't want to declare something if I didn't know if it was true.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
How can you assume that all games deserve that 25000 sales mark. He's making assumptions by putting all games in a bubble of equal quality.

There's a reason why some arcade games do poorly while other go far. The games that are more appealing to a broader audience sell better. The end. If crappy games are made for PSN then chances are they won't sell there either.

Besides, Trials HD is already one of the hottest titles on XBLA and Joe Danger is just a cartoony version of it. Maybe it was Trials that had him scared all along.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
And if their game was, you know, good it wouldn't have to worry about other games covering it up.
Beyond Good & Evil was a great game (in my opinion anyhow) and from what I recall it didn't sell well because it was overshadowed by larger franchises, so a game being good is not a guarantee for it selling well.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
BooHoo.

If the game wouldn't be popular on XBL, I don't see why it'd be popular on PSN. I know of a few titles that have been vastly popular, even though they were indie on XBL.
I enjoyed a PSN indie title as well.

If a game's not good, it won't do well. I don't think XBL has anything to do with that.
*shrug*

That's like saying PSN is a place for indie games to die... I just doesn't make sense.

arcticspoon

Jul 7, 2010
John Funk said:
In fact, he claimed that 47% of all games on the Arcade fail to sell more than 25,000 copies.
According to Sturgeon's Revelation, 90% of everything is crud ... so if only 47% and not 90% of XBLA games failed to sell more than 25,000 copies, wouldn't that be a good thing? Or maybe I need to go back to school and study how percentages work.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Maybe they should think about a different strategy.

How about this: why not release the game on the European PS store earlier than anywhere else? Our store is anorexic compared to the NA store, and this way they should be able to better gauge the public's reaction to a game based on it's quality, and not just whether it sells or not. Plus, the European store might actually get a little more f**king attention from Sony for once. Totally win-win, right?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
tellmeimaninja said:
And if their game was, you know, good it wouldn't have to worry about other games covering it up.
Indeed, most of the stuff sinks on XBLA because it's crap, the rest is diamonds in the rough and gold dust.

oranger

May 27, 2008
well, from what I recall about XBLA it was difficult to find decent, older titles without knowing its name ahead of time.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Booze Zombie said:
tellmeimaninja said:
Indeed, most of the stuff sinks on XBLA because it's crap, the rest is diamonds in the rough and gold dust.
same can be said of psn actually

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
If he'd kept his reasons related to the limited update schedule, no free DLC and Microsoft having to certify every single thing, which can take weeks, then I would totally understand his decisions to stay away from XBLA.

The reasons he did cite? Not super convincing.