Joe Danger is Extra Dangerous on XBLA

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Joe Danger is Extra Dangerous on XBLA

One of the PlayStation Network's best exclusives is exclusive no longer as Joe Danger makes the jump to Xbox Live Arcade.

Developed by British indie developer Hello games, the original Joe Danger saw minute, cartoon stuntman Joe boost his way through various obstacle courses on his trusty dirt bike. Part racer, part platformer, it played like a cross between Trails HD and Tony Hawk: Pro Skater, and needless to say we quite liked it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7716-Review-Joe-Danger] Now, 360 owners can get in on the action. The creatively titled Joe Danger: Special Edition, arrives on XBLA this holiday season and promises a new career campaign, new modes and new characters.

"We've come back to this game that we've now watched like hundreds of thousands of people play through on PS3," said Hello Games' Sean Murray. "We've decided there's so many things we never finished, or never really liked, and we've fixed them. One by one. The game was well received but there were actually places where it was pretty frustrating to play, it strayed into that area and I really think we've totally fixed that out now."

[gallery=534]

Unfortunately, while 360 users are getting a bigger, better version of the game, PS3 users are getting diddly squat. "That's just not something we are thinking about right now, if I'm honest," Murray told Destructoid, when asked if the new content would make its way to PSN. "Anyway, my assumption right now is that what people really want is the other things we're working on. Things like Joe Danger 2 The Movie, and other stuff we haven't even announced yet."

Traditionally it's PS3 users who've had to wait a couple of months for an improved version of a timed exclusive, though perhaps these features are what's needed to get the game past Microsoft's policies regarding non-exclusive titles. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112562-Microsoft-Doesnt-Want-Sonys-Sloppy-Seconds]

Hello Games has previously made use of Sony's "Publishing Fund," which offsets production cost with royalties in exchange for, presumably timed, exclusivity. Murray himself has said that the PlayStation Network was "the only way we could self-publish," and he once claimed the XBLA platform was "kind of a slaughterhouse for small developers," which makes the announcement of an XBLA version of the game surprising, but certainly not unwelcome.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-live-arcade-gets-joe-danger-special-edition-215097.phtml]

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
In the first paragraph, you have "needles" instead of "needless."

I imagine they could at least try to release the special edition content for people who bought the PSN version. How much money could they actually lose by doing that?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Wait, so you mean people actually bought Joe Danger? The demo was more than enough to tell me to keep away from it. Dreadful game that made no sense.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Sober Thal said:
Never heard of this one, but I'll wait to get the better/bigger version. That is assuming I will see many people post here on how great it is. If it's like Trials HD then I can't ignore it.
I played it and rather liked it. Reminded me a bit of excite bike. Take from that what you will.

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
On one hand, I feel like us PS3ers ended up financing the shiny new-and-improved XBox version, which isn't so great feeling. On the other hand, this gives them more money to keep making more games, which is a good thing. I'll choose the less cynical second hand; the more people developing indy games, the better off the industry will be.

JMan

Jun 18, 2008
I played the demo for this game but didn't really get into it. Also in the article you called Trials HD Trails HD.