John Bolton's new book...

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
I think the main conclusion that we should make is that the US is in massive need of political reform, moving towards a swedish or danish model seems far better than the current idea.
Take Denmark for an example, there was only a short period in the early 2000's when a liberal party had had to rely on a coalition to achieve the absolute majority, otherwise the closest was when 46,5% of the parliament was held by a single party in 1935, beyond that the design of the political system have always made compromises and deals a necessity.

Whereas the US tends to have majority governments fairly often, meaning that it is only ever a matter of A versus B, a conflict without nuance.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I discovered I find it bizarre to see Bolton speak. He has the reputation of practically being Satan and a state of service that doesn't exactly deny it. But when he talks he sounds reasonable. He sounds wrong, in some cases foolish or even evil but still relatively sensible and even mildly affable. Its weird.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I discovered I find it bizarre to see Bolton speak. He has the reputation of practically being Satan and a state of service that doesn't exactly deny it. But when he talks he sounds reasonable. He sounds wrong, in some cases foolish or even evil but still relatively sensible and even mildly affable. Its weird.
A pretty prime example of "the banality of evil", as it's called. The people who order monstrous things, like John Bolton, are able to maintain a personal sense of dispassion. It's how they're able to live with themselves.

Reactions: Kwak

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
A pretty prime example of "the banality of evil", as it's called. The people who order monstrous things, like John Bolton, are able to maintain a personal sense of dispassion. It's how they're able to live with themselves.
The majority of evils perpetrated on other people are probably done by some mild bureaucrat simply ticking all the boxes in their rule book.

Slightly disappointed and alarmed to see his mouth actually moves and isn't completely obscured by his moustache.