John Carmack: PC Is Not the "Leading Platform" for Games

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Zer_ said:
DTWolfwood said:
Zer_ said:
DTWolfwood said:
gotta go with where the money is at! cant blame him for that.

15% of the market isn't worth spending all your time on.

On the other hand aren't PC ports to consoles better console games than Console ports to PC?

all the effort is literally just remapping some inputs.
Nnooo....

Also RAGE was never ported to any platform. All three version were developed in tandem. The majority of this thread is just a bunch of foolish people taking things way out of context... It's sad to say, but Reddit's conversations are more intelligent than what can be found in this thread... I mean that as a compliment to most Redditors, and indeed as an attack to some of the Escapists.
Sources sir i demand sources for this statement
For which statement? I made a couple here.

For the development being done in tandem for all platforms, see here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0H75Aq8ncc

If you want sources for the comment having to do with Reddit conversations concerning RAGE, well you try searching RAGE and tell me the results you get! lolol.
that answers that.

i don't reddit

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Chimp said:
It has come to the point where I avoid all games that are released on both the console and the PC. The reason is simple, it is basically a guarantee the game will be a bunch of crap on PC, with possibly horrible controls, brutal GUI and such awkward, buggy overall experience that's it's just not worth it.

Not to mention I refuse to play FPS games on console. A gamepad is not made for such games, when I know what I can pull off with a mouse and keyboard, I feel like an idiot with a gamepad in my hands.

And oh, mr. Carmack has obviously not had any media training. What he says might be essentially true, all the money is in the console gaming. He just sounds like a douche telling it like that, because of the current situation with his own game.

Too few game developers dare to develop the actual gaming genre. They just copy stuff that has worked before.
Fixed. Projecting is a minor issue (read: don't be offended, we all do it) but it bugs me sometimes.

OT: While the rage from PC gamers is quite amusing, this is just rude and insulting to them. "Oh your preferred platform doesn't matter, it's not where the money's at, so we're not gonna bother making our game properly for it". If you're going to do something, you do it properly.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Fuck you Carmack, you used to be cool.

PC "not being a lead platform anymore" is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you keep shying away from it, then yes, it WILL have inferior sales and audience to a console release. How about you start doing PC lead again and see how it works out, you think too poorly of PC gamers.

King_1

Oct 12, 2011
Mister Linton said:
King_1 said:
And this is why the game industry is failing.
Orly? Failing?
Yes. Look at games like Crysis 2 - massive costs and yet months later it's in the bargain bin. A lot of devs, and more so the publishers, have lost touch with their market.