John Carpenter Working on F.E.A.R. 3

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
As long as I get to play Point man from the original and its much more like the original I will be happy. Oh and is it just me or does anyone else think this game could actually be a pretty sweet Live Action Movie someday?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I'm quite disappointed that Monolith won't be behind the wheel this time, they did good work with the first one.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
F.E.A.R. 3 will take the franchise back to the horror-focused gameplay of the first game and to help ensure "extreme terror," famed horror director Vampires [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000118/], has been brought aboard to consult on the project and help with creating the in-game cinematics.
Lets not forget In the Mouth of Madness [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080749/].

John Carpenter is one of my favourite directors, and despite never having played a F.E.A.R game before, his involvement has piqued my interest, to the extent that I may buy this game regardless of reviews and flaws if his influence is prominent.

I hope he also composes the music and ropes in Kurt Russell to play an anti-hero character, or writes in a 10 minute long brawl scene & QTE minigame between Keith David and Roddy Piper.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Vigilantis said:
As long as I get to play Point man from the original and its much more like the original I will be happy. Oh and is it just me or does anyone else think this game could actually be a pretty sweet Live Action Movie someday?
the only way a FPS could be made into a sweet movie is if we got a movie from the FPS perspective and the hero doesn't talk. Maybe breathe, curse and mumble.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Looks like it's going to be crap.

John Carpenter is only "on board to consult" which is codeword for "we have him for a few meetings and that's it"

Also, I have respect for him as a film-maker but this is like bringing in a writer to direct a movie, I've said this a thousand times before till I am blue in the face but Video Games are NOT the same as movies!

Yeah, John Carpenter might be good at video games, but just because he is good at horror movies doesn't mean he will be much better than anyone else.

So beyond John Carpenter it is all bad, I mean the original developers are elaving and the guys WHO ONLY DID THE PORT are taking over (WTF!?!?) and with a past record for games which is... patchy... to say the least.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
Never payed much attention to F.E.A.R... Until now! John Carpenter is my favourite horror-movie director, and I'm sure he'd be able to contribute to the interactive horror in a new way!

The Thing is one of my favourite movies of all time!

Wolfiesden

Mar 18, 2010
Treblaine said:
Also, I have respect for him as a film-maker but this is like bringing in a writer to direct a movie, I've said this a thousand times before till I am blue in the face but Video Games are NOT the same as movies!

Yeah, John Carpenter might be good at video games, but just because he is good at horror movies doesn't mean he will be much better than anyone else.
They are not the SAME as movies but in many ways they are LIKE movies. From lighting, sound effects, special effects, camera angles, feel, settings, voice acting and cinematics, they are just like movies. It totally depends on how they USE Carpenter in the project that really matters. If they use him properly, and thats the key, then we are in for a hell of a ride.

A good director, and Carpenter is, knows how to light scenes to set mood and feel. They know where to place cameras for the best angle on the action. They know how to coach actors to deliver lines appropriate to the feel the director wishes to convey. These things directly apply to movies and games alike. If this is how they use Carpenter, then its the best use of his talent. If they use him for simple cut scenes, intros or trailers then its a total waste and nothing but fruitless hype.

Treblaine said:
So beyond John Carpenter it is all bad, I mean the original developers are elaving and the guys WHO ONLY DID THE PORT are taking over (WTF!?!?) and with a past record for games which is... patchy... to say the least.
This I agree with. Its a mistake to cut monolith out of this and go with a completely marginal company. Not good. Still, I look forward to seeing what happens.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
DarkSaber said:
The Great JT said:
Do not doubt the guy who made The Thing!
Even though that same guy was consulted over and heavily hyped that absolute child-rapist of a game based on the movie?
I still think "consulted over" means "the devs called him every day and asked him "'is this destroying your creation enough?' until he locked himself in the bathroom and assumed the fetal position."

DarkSaber

Dec 22, 2007
The Great JT said:
DarkSaber said:
The Great JT said:
Even though that same guy was consulted over and heavily hyped that absolute child-rapist of a game based on the movie?
I still think "consulted over" means "the devs called him every day and asked him "'is this destroying your creation enough?' until he locked himself in the bathroom and assumed the fetal position."
Isn't that off one of The Spoony One's reviews? It's either him or someone on TGWTG. Or AVGN.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
SomeUnregPunk said:
Vigilantis said:
the only way a FPS could be made into a sweet movie is if we got a movie from the FPS perspective and the hero doesn't talk. Maybe breathe, curse and mumble.
I can agree with this, for this game at least since Point Man was...well nameless and speechless, but that couldn't work for lets say a Duke Nukem movie, but in general it couldn't work to well with any movie I would think since I doubt many would be interested in partaking in looking through a helmet or camera-phone (though it has been done in Cloverfield/Blair Witch) In the end though I'm just saying the trailer of this really interested me in a FEAR movie, I definitely think it could have a chance.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
DarkSaber said:
The Great JT said:
DarkSaber said:
The Great JT said:

Isn't that off one of The Spoony One's reviews? It's either him or someone on TGWTG. Or AVGN.
I believe thats TGWTG, for Tom and Jerry review if I remember correctly.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
DarkSaber said:
The Great JT said:
DarkSaber said:
The Great JT said:
Spoony reviewed The Thing. The quote could've come from anyone from the Angry Video Game Nerd to the Nostalgia Critic to the Irate Gamer, I don't honestly know anymore.

Jul 9, 2008
uppitycracker said:
So long as they make it more like F.E.A.R., and less like F.E.A.R. 2, I'll be happy.
Same here. I've written a review stating how much I liked the original and disliked the sequel, but I don't feel like linking to it, just take my word for it. You are so right.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
orannis62 said:
uppitycracker said:
So long as they make it more like F.E.A.R., and less like F.E.A.R. 2, I'll be happy.
Same here. I've written a review stating how much I liked the original and disliked the sequel, but I don't feel like linking to it, just take my word for it. You are so right.
I don't believe you for a second :p

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
Vigilantis said:
SomeUnregPunk said:
Vigilantis said:
I can agree with this, for this game at least since Point Man was...well nameless and speechless, but that couldn't work for lets say a Duke Nukem movie, but in general it couldn't work to well with any movie I would think since I doubt many would be interested in partaking in looking through a helmet or camera-phone (though it has been done in Cloverfield/Blair Witch) In the end though I'm just saying the trailer of this really interested me in a FEAR movie, I definitely think it could have a chance.
Well maybe if it was done in the way "Being John Malcovich" was done. That short scene where you saw through the eyes of the actor. And if it wasn't the shaky cam BS that is in the Blair Witch type of movies. The only problem is that, the audience will never ever see any viewpoint but from the protagonist.

Unless, if you had two acts in the movie. The first act would show the through the hero's FPS eyes and the second act will show the entire thing in the normal movie way.

Azulito

Jan 1, 2009
You know what? I REALLY looked forward to it despite the cheesy trailer that made no sense.

Though... I'm REALLY annoyed about one thing...

F.3.A.R.

The CRAPPIEST thing to do to a game title.. I mean it's seriously annoyed me. I hate when the game/movie numbers are merged into the title, it makes it sound so damn cheap.

If it's going to have a clean, awesome title such as F.E.A.R. 3 then I'm 100% sold, if it remains F.3.A.R. then the chance I'll get it is 30%.