John Carpenter Would Love To Make Dead Space

CZ_Rage

May 10, 2013
If he would do it with the same passion he did his B-Movies a long time ago, I would buy 10 tickets and preorder 20 BlueRays to make this happen.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
SonOfVoorhees said:
If he has his The Thing hat on then i cant wait. If he has his Ghosts Of Mars hat on, then NO.

Well, the thing is "Dead Space" would be a lot more like "Ghosts Of Mars" than "The Thing" thematically, and we've seen how he tends to wear the action-horror hat and what the results are. I personally liked "Ghost Of Mars" it's the first movie I remember seeing Jason Statham in.

Speaking for myself though I'd like to see him do more movies like "The Thing", "In The Mouth Of Madness" or "Prince Of Darkness" (oddly one of my favorites), that work on video game adaptions. He does a very specific type of thing well IMO and at this point should stick with it, it's when he branches out that he starts to run into problems. I think "Big Trouble In Little China" was pretty much the exception to him breaking his usual mould, and that movie was largely defined by the comedy, which really wouldn't work with "Dead Space" which is something that should thematically be very serious.

To be blunt, I'd think James Cameron would be the best guy to do "Dead Space" since it's arguably already re-treading his work to begin with.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Eh, Dead Space 3 was not that interesting the way they moved it from more of a isolated survival horror in DS1 & 2 to this stupid action horror crap in 3.

And EA wonders why it didn't do as well, it's changes like this that can make fans cynical or alienated.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
As much as John Carpenter would probably do Dead Space justice in film form I'm a bit worried about his views on the "first great game of 2013."

"I maintain that Dead Space would just make a great movie because you have these people coming onto an abandoned, shut-down space ship and they have to start it up and something's on board. It's just great stuff."
This is hardly a ground breaking story concept on it's own, John. I mean, take away the part about being in space and you've got every horror storyline ever.

I'm surprised that he doesn't mention more about the actual interesting parts of DS: the whole mythology surrounding the markers, unitology and Isaac's personal involvement within the story.