John Dies At The End movie

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Drop_D-Bombshell said:
But what if at the end....John DOESN'T die? :eek: You won't know unless you see it, or some arse spoils it.
I won't spoil it overtly, but....

Okay, so John "dies" pretty early in the book, but he's not really dead. Or maybe he is, because Wibbly-Wobbly, Timey-Wimey. Still, he's around at the end of the book. There is a sequel out, and it seems maybe he dies at the end of the series instead of the first book. Or maybe it's all a head trip. I don't know.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
I didn't read the book, or even know there was one, but the movie looked good so I saw it. Because of it's inherent weirdness it's kind of hard to describe without spoiling any wtf moments, but I'll say if the trailer looks good to you (it doesn't give too much away), you'll probably like the movie.

mrblakemiller

Aug 13, 2010
Read the book. First twenty pages or so were great, then the quality declined sharply. It completely felt like Wong was truly making it up as he went along and had no idea about the major arc of the book. I mean, Korrok turns outto be... what it is (too lazy to spoiler-tag it)? And the ending was just truly meandering. I was rather diappointed, because I knew about the book for years before I actually read it. Suffice to say I won't put any effort into seeing the film.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I had the opportunity to go watch it for free at the local film fest and skipped it. Stoner movies bore me some.

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
I saw it the other day, and it's awesome. I compare it to Detention: crazy, seemingly random, but with it's own cohesive story arc and internal logic. The title is a tongue-in-cheek spoiler-but-not-really: there is so much going on in the movie that John's death is a minor plot point (and a temporary inconvenience for John). Please don't let the title put you off.

There was one thing I didn't get, though, and was hoping someone could help me out:

So Korrok hadn't yet worked out how to get into our universe, so the white-fly invasion had nothing to do with him, right? So why was the infested white gangsta dude trying to get through the ghost door? Wasn't his purpose to infest the whole planet?
Also, after David and John beat Korrok, the white-flies are never mentioned again, even though there were at least four other infested kids at the time they went through the ghost door. Do I just assume they dealt with them in the two years between them getting back and David chatting with Paul Giamatti? Or did the black cop manage to kill them all?

Or should I just read the book?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
EeviStev said:
There was one thing I didn't get, though, and was hoping someone could help me out:

So Korrok hadn't yet worked out how to get into our universe, so the white-fly invasion had nothing to do with him, right? So why was the infested white gangsta dude trying to get through the ghost door? Wasn't his purpose to infest the whole planet?
Also, after David and John beat Korrok, the white-flies are never mentioned again, even though there were at least four other infested kids at the time they went through the ghost door. Do I just assume they dealt with them in the two years between them getting back and David chatting with Paul Giamatti? Or did the black cop manage to kill them all?

Or should I just read the book?
Yeah, I suggest you read the book. It's not worth really going into it too much because 1. I can't remember everything exactly from the top of my head and 2. the movie just condenses things - the book actually tackles Shitload and Korrok as completely different things - it's split into two parts and it's actually more or less two books into one, since the two are distinct. The movie glues them together, though.

Although - who else was infested? I watched the movie but it was few months ago, so I can't quite remember. I would assume that the other infested people probably just died.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Just watched the trailer and I'm instantly interested in the movie. I looked it up on IMDB and it seems to have already come out...last year. I live in the US, where can I get this movie, is it on DVD?! I need to know!

Edit: After carefully scouring the internet (spending all of 3 seconds looking it up on netflix) I have discovered that Netflix has the DVD for this movie, which I just added to my queue.

EeviStev

Mar 2, 2011
DoPo said:
Yeah, I suggest you read the book. It's not worth really going into it too much because 1. I can't remember everything exactly from the top of my head and 2. the movie just condenses things - the book actually tackles Shitload and Korrok as completely different things - it's split into two parts and it's actually more or less two books into one, since the two are distinct. The movie glues them together, though.

Although - who else was infested? I watched the movie but it was few months ago, so I can't quite remember. I would assume that the other infested people probably just died.
Actually, now that I think about it, I made a bit of an assumption- I thought everyone who took Soy Sauce at the party were infested because they were with Robert Marley when he hatched. This could easily have not been the case, and White Gangsta Dude (Shitload? Or is Shitload the swarm? I don't even) was probably the only one infested after Bob.

Ya, Imma read the book :p

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
I saw it a little while ago and I enjoyed it. For a low-budget film adaptation of one of my favorite books, it wasn't so bad.

That said, as some other people have pointed out, the movie did cut out a lot. Some of the really big stuff included. It's understandable, I guess, given time restraints and so forth.

The thing that bothered me the most, though...

I thought the way the film opened with the whole axe metaphor thing was done brilliantly. But considering the "monster clones/monster Dave" plotline wasn't included in the movie at all, it was pretty pointless.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Seen it. It's an interesting film, with a very unique premise. It's pretty low budget, not that that's really much of an issue for me, but they still managed to make it work. Some of the special effects look like crap, but some of the others look great. It looks like something that would air on Adult Swim, to be honest.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I have a friend, amusingly enough called Jon, that won't stop raving about the book. Neither he nor I have seen the movie yet but I'm sure we will once it hits netflix. I haven't heard anything good or bad about the movie but given its budget, I'm keeping my expectations low.