John Lennon NFT auction

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
This one might be the stupidest one yet.

Julian Lennon is selling NFT's of his dad's possessions. Guitars, clothes, letters etc. He will continue to own the actual physical items but the lucky bidders will legally be recognised as the owner of some photographs of these items. I don't think that by "imagine no possessions" Lennon meant because we all only own tokens that represent possessions.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, that's impressively stupid, but OTOH, will appeal to Beatles fans, so there's money to be made here.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Yeah, that's impressively stupid, but OTOH, will appeal to Beatles fans, so there's money to be made here.
It really feels like parody at this stage. At least the early days were somewhat confusing because ownership is difficult to define. Like "I own the first ever tweet" what the fuck does that actually mean? Obviously it means nothing, but it's such a weird concept that it can confuse people. But this is literally just "I paid for a photograph of a guitar." it should be so plainly stupid that anyone could see it.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It really feels like parody at this stage. At least the early days were somewhat confusing because ownership is difficult to define. Like "I own the first ever tweet" what the fuck does that actually mean? Obviously it means nothing, but it's such a weird concept that it can confuse people. But this is literally just "I paid for a photograph of a guitar." it should be so plainly stupid that anyone could see it.
I'm hoping they do see it, but are buying it because either they are hard core Lennon fans and will buy anything Lennon, or they are hoping it'll make a good investment.

On a not totally unrelated note, in the Roman Republic, the wealthy would pay for elaborate public works and infrastructure (roads, aqueducts, coliseums and the like) and show off their wealth that way. Letting everyone know who it was that was so generous, but still.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I'm hoping they do see it, but are buying it because either they are hard core Lennon fans and will buy anything Lennon, or they are hoping it'll make a good investment.

On a not totally unrelated note, in the Roman Republic, the wealthy would pay for elaborate public works and infrastructure (roads, aqueducts, coliseums and the like) and show off their wealth that way. Letting everyone know who it was that was so generous, but still.
Hell even in the not so recent past paying for a hospital wing to be named after you was an ostentatious display of wealth.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Look at that, another idiotic NFT sell out. I'll just add him to my shit list.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Julian Lennon is selling NFT's of his dad's possessions. Guitars, clothes, letters etc. He will continue to own the actual physical items but the lucky bidders will legally be recognised as the owner of some photographs of these items.
Who buys this shit?

If you were to buy one, how on earth are you even supposed to brag about it?

"Yeah, I spent $XXXX on a picture of a thing that John Lennon used to own - no, not the actual thing, a picture of it"

You would just sound like the stupidest person on earth.

Honestly, im not even mad at the guy peddling this shit. As long as he doesn't start spouting bollocks about how cool and innovative NFTs are, this guy is just exploiting the wallets of gullible rich idiots with too much money to spend, and I find that more hilarious than anything.

Reactions: CM156 and BrawlMan

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly, im not even mad at the guy peddling this shit. As long as he doesn't start spouting bollocks about how cool and innovative NFTs are, this guy is just exploiting the wallets of gullible rich idiots with too much money to spend, and I find that more hilarious than anything.
If that was the only impact of NFTs, it wouldn't anger me so much. But they're environmentally ruinous as well, don't forget.

Last edited:
Reactions: CM156 and BrawlMan

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
If that was the only impact of NFTs, it wouldn't anger me so much. But they're environmentally ruinous as well, don't forget.
I'm also worried about what they will normalise. Particularly the extremely stupid cases. It's not unrealistic to assume that marginally less stupid NFT's could become normalised by virtue of not being a photograph of a guitar that someone else still owns.

Kinda like video game microtransactions. Now "cosmetic only" is actually a defense whereas in the late 2000's it would have been dismissively called "horse armour".

Reactions: BrawlMan

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Oh, absolutely.

The amount of energy these useless .jpgs use is absolutely mental. "the average NFT has a carbon footprint... equivalent to more than a month’s worth of electricity for a person living in the EU.". Wild.

I love how pretty much every NFT announcement always brings up the environmental impact, saying that they are aware of the problem, and they are working to look into better alternatives - but not now though, they have to sell their pointless ugly monkey "art" right this second. Sell, sell, sell!

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I think we should all spare a moment to sympathise with Julian Lennon, who has become so hard up he's been forced to sell bits of code representing his dad's possessions.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I love how pretty much every NFT announcement always brings up the environmental impact, saying that they are aware of the problem, and they are working to look into better alternatives - but not now though, they have to sell their pointless ugly monkey "art" right this second. Sell, sell, sell!
Well, duh. They've got to move that inventory before the rubes smarten up! Cash in while the gettin' is good!

Fallen Soldier

Brother Lombax
Oct 28, 2021
Country
United States
Oh, absolutely.

The amount of energy these useless .jpgs use is absolutely mental. "the average NFT has a carbon footprint... equivalent to more than a month’s worth of electricity for a person living in the EU.". Wild.

It’s not just environmental impact (although it’s more important then what I have to say) but there is a case to be made NFTs could help cause economic havoc.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Oh, absolutely.

It's not just that, but Julian Lennon is one of those guys who likes to ponce around the world representing environmental issues and posing for pics with indigenous people. You'd think he might know that NFTs are an energy-hogging clusterfuck.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland

It would be less annoying if they were actively trying to deny the harmful effects. But instead they insist that they'll sort it someday. All for something that isn't exactly a necessity.

It's not just that, but Julian Lennon is one of those guys who likes to ponce around the world representing environmental issues and posing for pics with indigenous people. You'd think he might know that NFTs are an energy-hogging clusterfuck.
Does he do it in a private jet?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland

FFS there isn’t a dumpster big enough to contain the hot garbage fire this shit is bringing. This shit needs to be shamed out of existence, even on the black market.
Oh my fucking god, that was grim. Also allegedly he paid 221k for his ape.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
NFT, like all crypto, are just scams right? Its people trying to trick other people into buying something intangible at whatever price they can get away with.
I read that most NFT transactions are from the "owner" buying and rebuying their own "product" to increase the price and trick others into think its worth something.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

FFS there isn’t a dumpster big enough to contain the hot garbage fire this shit is bringing. This shit needs to be shamed out of existence, even on the black market.
Jimmy Fallon has always been a gigantic douche. He may not host The Man Show anymore, but really not much has changed about him. He's really not much a "better person" from back then. Fallon likes to claim so much. Paris Hilton is talentless idiot who got famous by just being stupid, and was already in a wealthy family to begin with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fallen Soldier