John Romero Has Uploaded a New Doom Map as a Tease for Blackroom

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
John Romero Has Uploaded a New Doom Map as a Tease for Blackroom

John Romero has uploaded a new map for Doom, along with a promise of what to expect from Blackroom.

Yesterday, after plenty of teasing, John Romero officially announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167250-John-Romero-and-Adrian-Carmack-Officially-Announce-New-FPS-Blackroom] an upcoming first-person shooter, Blackroom, which is being made in collaboration with fellow id Software co-founder Adrian Carmack.

In a tweet today, Romero shared a newly designed map for Doom, E1M4b, available as a free download. In the tweet, Romero said that the gameplay in that level is what fans can expect from Blackroom, which is expected to release in Winter 2018.

"Time for a surprise," he wrote. "This is the kind of classic FPS gameplay I'm promising."

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/romero/status/725032002244759552]

Romero and Carmack are currently Shacknews [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nightworkgames/blackroom-a-new-fps-from-romero-and-carmack?token=07458251], Romero said that failure is not an option.

"For Adrian and me, this is a labor of love. It is a design that we're incredibly passionate about, and a game we have wanted to make for a while now," Romero said. "'What if it doesn't work?' and 'What if they don't like the idea' hasn't entered our minds, because we've focused very, very closely on what we know people like and what we know people want. The trick is to deliver that while still innovating upon the genre. We're too excited about the possibility of Blackroom to focus on failure."

The campaign page describes Blackroom as "a visceral, varied and violent shooter that harkens back to classic FPS play with a mixture of exploration, speed, and intense, weaponized combat," and promises "unique multiplayer maps and robust modding support for the community to make diabolical creations of their own design."

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I want this game to be good, I really do...but they are pushing too hard on the "remember that game we made that everyone loves?" method and its not instilling confidence in me.

Edit: Referring to people by just last names is stupid.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Just got done playing it. If this really is what these guys are aiming for, I think it's safe to say that Blackroom will be pretty decent. If there's one thing that Romero still seems to be really good at, it's understanding non-linear FPS level design.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
The good thing is that, judging by Mr. Romero's tone, he doesn't seem to want to make us his ***** anymore. I respect this sort of humility.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Saelune said:
I want this game to be good, I really do...but they are pushing too hard on the "remember that game we made that everyone loves?" method and its not instilling confidence in me.

Though I didn't know it was Romero -and- Carmack. Slightly less cynical, but only slightly les so. I suppose I should atleast try the level though.
Not the Carmack everyone remembers though

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
Saelune said:

Though I didn't know it was Romero -and- Carmack. Slightly less cynical, but only slightly les so. I suppose I should atleast try the level though.
ADRIAN Carmack, not John Carmack. Nothing against Adrian but he is an art guy, not a programmer. This whole project stinks of "hey, let's bank on our names to get money for a game and then figure the game out afterwards" and I won't be putting any money behind it. I highly doubt it will get funded.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I'll have to give this a go the next time I fire up DOOM. I liked the E1M8 remake, so this should be fun.

Even if Blackroom turns out to be a dud, at least it indirectly gave us some quality DOOM levels. That's never a bad thing.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
For whatever else people think of these two, you've gotta give them credit for a unique way of advertising/showing their ideas. Releasing a mission for one of their older games to show the style their going for, don't think I've seen this trick before.

bladestorm91

Mar 18, 2015
Romero is just too late on the kickstarter bandwagon, people have grown too wary on kickstarter and seldom pledge to things like this anymore. I wish him luck, but I think this kickstarter is going to fail.