Join Escapist Live for the D&D Neverwinter Beta!

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
Join Escapist Live for the D&D Neverwinter Beta!

Stream starts at 3pm EST, Saturday February 9

Update: It's a wrap! Thanks everyone who joined in the fun, and be sure to keep and eye out for more streaming events in the very near future!

Are you excited for Dungeons & Dragons: Neverwinter? The upcoming free-to-play MMO is currently in beta, and we're bringing you live gameplay from the first beta weekend. Yours truly will put the game through its paces, and we'll do plenty of character creation, leveling, and running through dungeons with our pants on fire.

Join in the fun, and if you want to ask questions, all you need is a free Twitch account to type in the stream chat. Enjoy!

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Been doing this one since Alpha, and got my Founder's Pack, big Forgotten Realms fan. Depending on where you hang out you might even see me in game (though to be honest I doubt anyone would be looking forward to it, unless they wanted to argue with me). :)

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Uh oh, Ironic Pirate Santa Claus looks PISSED!
I'd better watch that stream so he doesn't come after me!
I thought it was more of a medieval Big Boss.

Also, while I'll readily admit I won't care much for watching this particularly (not a big MMO or D&D fan), I assume this means there's the possibility for plenty of other livestreamed hijinks on the Twitch channel?

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Yay! Now I know what to watch on saturday! Though 3 pm EST...that's 5 pm central right? I shall have to go look this up, don't want to miss a second!

EDIT: I am an idiot and got my time zones mixed up. It's 2 pm...don't I feel smart.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Dr. Harvey C. Clay said:
NOOOO! I run a campaign on Saturday.
Thank god the campaign I'm in is running today.
[sub]Quoted to rub it in, muhahaha![/sub]

Can't wait to see it.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
I can't help but be disappointed when I see the word Neverwinter and know that there's no Aurora.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
MorganL4 said:
so I just did a search on google to determine somthing and look what I got:

I mean wow..... Droid? Google Fail......

I mean when it said, "did you mean french military defeats, that was kinda humorous.... but to have a search term include neverwinter and ask about droids?

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Why does this seemingly overly generic MMO get so much god-damned air time over on the Escapist? Do you guys have a marketing deal or something? Nothing you've posted makes it seem note worthy in any regard except it's based on a title I loved and defiling everything I believed made it great.

/rant

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Cry Wolf said:
Why does this seemingly overly generic MMO get so much god-damned air time over on the Escapist? Do you guys have a marketing deal or something? Nothing you've posted makes it seem note worthy in any regard except it's based on a title I loved and defiling everything I believed made it great.

/rant
You answered your own question.... It's a D&D property and D&D is huge in geek culture.

But yeah, I don't think I'm gonna play since there is no Druid option.... If they make one later I will probably check it out

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Cry Wolf said:

/rant
I've noticed a number of well known sources in internet Geekdom paying attention to it. Total Biscuit and the Cynical Brit team did an hour long play session alongside some of the devs which wound up on Youtube.

Whether it's marketing or not, it's not a terrible idea since it seems a lot of the fairly recent MMORPGs to launch haven't gotten a lot of press. This is especially true of Cryptic's games where I've noticed people showig up in Champions Online and Star Trek Online talking abou how they had never even heard of the games, and they have been running for years (I'm a lifetimer for both).

As far as the game itself goes, I'm under an NDA for Alpha, but not for Beta, so can say it's decent. While "generic" it could be argued that Forgotten Realms is one of the settings that other generic games are trying to imitate, and truthfully if you take the time to read the lore (which few MMO players do sadly) they seem to have at least gotten it right. It's also a decent compromise on the whole action based MMO thing, it actually does play differant than other games I've been doing.

I don't anticipate this one being a huge WoW-like success, but it is pretty solid, lightyears ahead of most other FTP fantasy games out there.

I do tend to agree that I probably would have gone for a Neverwinter Nights 3 single player game though, if I was given the option. It's nice to see the FR surviving though.