Joker from Persona 5 announced for Smash bros... wait, what ?

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
At the games award Nintendo reveal the first paid DLC for Smash Bros ultimate. It will be Joker from Persona 5. a game not on nintendo system... Personnaly, i dont really care because i never played that game. This migth mean that we are getting a persona 5 port on switch soon, and maybe i will try it then.

any thought ?

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I mean FF VII is barely coming to a Nintendo system so I don't find it too far fetched at this point. Plus as you mentioned this might mean that Persona 5 would be coming to Switch which I'm totally down with.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I won't bet on Persona 5 coming to Switch. Maybe a spin-off (like how they did with Persona Q in the 3DS), or the next entry of the main series.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
cathou said:
At the games award Nintendo reveal the first paid DLC for Smash Bros ultimate. It will be Joker from Persona 5. a game not on nintendo system... Personnaly, i dont really care because i never played that game. This migth mean that we are getting a persona 5 port on switch soon, and maybe i will try it then.

any thought ?
Actually there's a Persona spinoff for the 3DS called Persona Q 2 that released in Japan before this announcement, so Joker is on a Nintendo system. As for Persona 5 on the Switch, it's definitely possible but I'm not holding my breath.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Bravo to Nintendo because I never saw it coming.

Like others have said, I'm hoping this is an indication that Persona 5 (and the series in general) is going to be coming to Switch but I won't get my hopes up too high.

Sep 24, 2008
People like to point to this [https://kotaku.com/the-internet-reacts-to-sonic-forces-persona-5-costume-1798708625] as a reason on why Joker should be allowed.

I think it's a stretch, personally.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Meh.

they picked the most generic, literally who, anime sword fighter they could.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
Meh.

Joker actually uses a knife and gun for direct weapons. His main shtick is his Persona where he summons demons and mythological figures, basically making him a demonic Pokemon Trainer (though funnily enough Shin Megami Tensei came before Pokemon)

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Yoshi178 said:
Meh.

Uuuuuuuummmmm...

Aiddon said:
Joker actually uses a knife and gun for direct weapons. His main shtick is his Persona where he summons demons and mythological figures, basically making him a demonic Pokemon Trainer (though funnily enough Shin Megami Tensei came before Pokemon)
Pretty much this. Sorry that someone from a big hit of a game that isn't from a Nintendo IP got in, but this guy has a potentially amazing moveset with the different Personas. Personal disinterest is reasonable though, but to call him "generic" isn't what I'd call fair considering the source material

Jan 27, 2011
Yoshi178 said:
Meh.

Wat.

Storywise, he's a decent kid who was screwed by the justice system and after gaining supernatural powers proceeds to literally steal the evil out of people's souls while doing it in the most over the top stylish/cool way possible.

Gameplaywise, he uses knives, pistols, and summons monsters born from the depth of the human psyche to do magic on his enemies, before going into a psychic dreamworld shaped like a prison where he fuses those monsters by brutally executing them and smushing their residual matter together.

Finally, Persona 5 was a pretty friggen big deal last year, and is a very popular series, doubly so in Japan.

Cloud is more of a generic anime sword dude than Joker.

Seriously, I'm hoping for some Jojo-style summon mechanics from Joker when he comes to Smash. :eek: I wanna see them use his abilities for all they're worth.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Yoshi178 said:
Meh.

You seriously can't tell the difference between a sword and a knife, wow.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Yoshi178 said:
Meh.

That's rather unfair. He's clearly going to be far more unique than, yet another Breath of Fire swordsman. (Seriously, it's not hard, just put a character that uses a spear or axe in as a representative, not yet ANOTHER sword fighter)

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Specter Von Baren said:
That's rather unfair. He's clearly going to be far more unique than, yet another Breath of Fire swordsman. (Seriously, it's not hard, just put a character that uses a spear or axe in as a representative, not yet ANOTHER sword fighter)
I think we know exactly why he said that. If it ain't Nintendo IP, it's nobody important to anyone

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I mean even if you limit yourself to the persona universe, Joker is hardly the most interesting character they could have picked. From P5 Futaba or Makoto would have been more interesting. Even Ryuji or Morgana would have been better just for the catharsis you'd get from beating the crap out of them with a baseball bat.

I get that he's the main character, but he's a boring blank slate.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Meiam said:
I mean even if you limit yourself to the persona universe, Joker is hardly the most interesting character they could have picked. From P5 Futaba or Makoto would have been more interesting. Even Ryuji or Morgana would have been better just for the catharsis you'd get from beating the crap out of them with a baseball bat.

I get that he's the main character, but he's a boring blank slate.
He's the most interesting from a gameplay standpoint because he has the Wild Card.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Elvis Starburst said:
Specter Von Baren said:
I think we know exactly why he said that. If it ain't Nintendo IP, it's nobody important to anyone
by your logic i should also hate Sonic, Pac Man and Megaman etc being in Smash too.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
cathou said:
any thought ?
That Nintendo clearly has run out of self-respect for their own IPs and are just whoring themselves out?