Joker's Song & Mind Of The Bat

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Joker's Song & Mind Of The Bat

Gavin responds to your comments and questions regarding "Joker's Song" and "Mind Of The Bat".

Read Full Article

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
I don't think you really have to worry about spoilers in these things, just make sure you emphasize "hey we are talking about this video here, go listen to it, then come read".

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
MiracleOfSound said:
Do you do screamo? My friends band is looking for a new vocalist.

No. I don't do screamo. It's one of the few genres I really can't listen to. It's just so ... wimpy.
Bwhahahaha! Best answer ever, Gav xD

I personally loved Joker's Song better than Mind of the Bat but they were both great!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Wow, you really did the laugh? Kudos.

Personally I think Joker's Song and Mind of a Bat are perfect companion songs seeing as Mind of a Bat is kinda like his reasoning for what he does and that he's not crazy while Joker's Song is like the Joker telling Batman they are not so different. I suppose it's like a demented argument, but in song!

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
My Batman songs really seem to bring out the Shepard references. Could it be that in Batman we have finally realized there is someone who may be even better than Shepard? (Cue nerd rage flame war in comments section.)
F*ck it, i'm going in !
C'mon... Batman does miracles without any high-tech guns. :)

http://comfortablytroubled.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/friendo.jpg

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
I loved the Joker's Song so much I was singing it for an entire week after. I pissed so many people off.

17-32 seconds though, is personally one of my favorite parts, it really gives it that Gotham feel.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
I have a question Gavin: How and why did you decide to be your own chorus?
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Wow, you really did the laugh? Kudos.
The laugh is ALWAYS what made the Joker.
Oh I know, if the laugh isn't there then it's a sham! I seriously thought it was Hamill and the audio was lifted somewhere, but I was impressed that Gav did it so convincingly.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
I fucking looove Joker's Song.
And that's even after I was an idiot and tried to mimic you while..."singing" along :p
My throat still hates me for that.

I would absolutely LOVE for you to do your next encore on Nord Mead.
It's been playing preeeeetty much continuously over here XD

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
This might seem strange, but I think you did a too good job with the layers on this one. It feels like the vocals are deliberatelly sub-par because the Joker probably isn't much of a singer and I think it would fit better if the layers did the same.

Interesting. I can honestly say this is the first time I've been told I sang something "too well," haha. But I can see your point. Perhaps the harmonies could have been a tad more chaotic and not so "locked in."
I have to disagree with that first paragraph. I thought the Joker's voice was perfect. Not perfect as in smooth and silky, I mean if you'd wanted it could have been pitch perfect. But it was rough and grainy in a lot of the parts and I felt that was as if the Joker was singing it and not someone else singing about the Joker. So it was perfect for the song, which I'm guessing was the idea.

Either way I absolutely love Joker's Song! And Nord Mead too! I'm just sad that I have to wait another week to buy Nord Mead :(

Jungy 365

Sep 13, 2010
Joker's Song was absolutely fantastic. However, don't put down Mind of the Bat Gav, I still love that one and listen to it regularly; it may not be a sweeping orchestral track, but it definitely creates this sense of mystery and night-time which is so inherent in Batman, and it struck me as Batman's mind actually becoming fractured, like all these villains are getting to him, and the sheer chaos and ludicrousness of the one night Arkham Asylum took place in is causing him to break down. So no, don't place one over the other, both of your Batman songs are great.
I actually do have a question about your bandcamp web page, and the album covers you have there; who does the artwork for you? I really like the Level 1 album cover, and Joker's Song artwork is really well done.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Joker's Song is by far my favorite so far, and I really like the articles detailing your thought process. Also wow, that was you laughing? You nailed it, I really thought it was a sound capture from some official media or something..

Great work on emulating Joker's voice and accent, the modulations were very good.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Regarding the Mind of the Bat: I didn't find it too long myself but I guess that's because I dig its vibe too much. I kind of liked that it was a bit bubbly and insanely cheery. I suppose if you wanted to go back to Asylum like you did with Skyrim, you could write another song about how dark the universe is to fit with the game better.

Joker's Song: I believe I said it before but at times it was sometimes hard to remember it was you signing. You nailed the voice and I loved the referencing to the demented connection Joker has with Batman.

I'd love to hear you talk about Nord Mead! The music video for that one was hilarious and fitted the song perfectly :)

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
JesterRaiin said:
My Batman songs really seem to bring out the Shepard references. Could it be that in Batman we have finally realized there is someone who may be even better than Shepard? (Cue nerd rage flame war in comments section.)
F*ck it, i'm going in !

Never! a man who thinks he's a bat will never win!

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/100/b/d/Commander_Shepard____by_Talik13.jpg

OT both songs are amazing, each based on the same confusing and conflicting relationship, both told in a different way.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
I actually really like the bounciness (Chrome thinks that's a word. I do not.) of Mind of the Bat. I think sometimes dark lyrics to a bouncy (That is a word.) tune is quite a good contrast.

Just me though. :)

Oh and what would I like to hear about next? Wheatley's Song. :)

cricket chirps

Apr 15, 2009
Gavin, you called screamo wimpy....*high fives the hell out of you*

I enjoy that response so much more than i should xD

Also, i found it VERY interesting that you didnt like the -what i would call "fun"- tones of "the mind of the bat!" Astonished really because i thought it was intentional! :) i LOVED how fun it was during parts because it made me think of how fun and enjoyable the game was as well as batman himself. -for the audience that is. See to me that song didn't reflect only on the batman universe but on the game itself. So it all made sense in the end ^_^

OT: A few of my friends hate me a little now because i cant get your song out of my head in school haha.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I normally don't watch your segment but after hearing the opening to Joker's Song in the one of the escapist weekly podcasts I immediately downloaded it and watched the previous vids.

I love the dark circus melody; and the lyrics also perfectly match Ledger's Joker's (and a few of the comic incarnations) twisted dichotomy of existence with Batman.

Very well done sir. You've earned at least +1 Fans.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
JesterRaiin said:
F*ck it, i'm going in !

no, your right, he doesn't do it with high tech guns. he just does it with a bunch of other high tech goggly goop. Batman saves a city. Shepard saves a whole fucking universe from machines that are better in every way than us. Shepard wins.

My favorite line is " a hero with no praise or glory. just a cape and his cave and his ... MEOW!!!" I thought oh man i love the joker, wait a minute, i had just forgot it was Gavin singing. Gavin does the Joker really well.