Joker's Song & Mind Of The Bat

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
IMO, Mind of the Bat was better. Though that may be in part due to the fact that I didn't realize it was supposed to be from the POV of Batman (I thought it was Riddler mocking him from behind the scenes- the "riddle me this/riddle me that" line is the reason).

Joker's Song isn't bad- lyrically clever and darker, as you point out- but it struck me as unpleasantly atonal (maybe that's part of the point, though). The rhythm of the vocals didn't always fit the rhythm of the music, and that contrast caused it to be not as fun to listen to.

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
My Batman songs really seem to bring out the Shepard references. Could it be that in Batman we have finally realized there is someone who may be even better than Shepard? (Cue nerd rage flame war in comments section.)
F*ck it, i'm going in !
C'mon... Batman does miracles without any high-tech guns. :)

http://comfortablytroubled.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/friendo.jpg
Batman? better than Shepard?

http://www.bioware.ru/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=56082

Darth Rahu

Critic of the Sith
Nov 20, 2009
I ask for one simple request Gav, a hard rock song for the new Twisted Metal game. Something tells me you don't have a PS3 to actually play it in order to have a more intimate feel for the game as an experience but I can so see you knocking one out of the park with that if you did it.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
My Batman songs really seem to bring out the Shepard references. Could it be that in Batman we have finally realized there is someone who may be even better than Shepard? (Cue nerd rage flame war in comments section.)
F*ck it, i'm going in !
putowtin said:
Never! a man who thinks he's a bat will never win!
batMAN for Christ's sake ! batMAN ! :)
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/12/7/c82514d6-ba40-4759-b204-2ca8fa784e1a.png

The_Lost_King said:
no, your right, he doesn't do it with high tech guns. he just does it with a bunch of other high tech goggly goop.
Batman saves a city. Shepard saves a whole fucking universe from machines that are better in every way than us. Shepard wins.
- Emperor Joker
- Final crisis
Batman Saves f*ckin' REALITY. At least twice. Your argument is invalid. ;)

purifico said:
Le image is broken. No argument = instant defeat. :D

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
I just bought Level 1 from your bandcamp, and have to say your songs really suit the album format. Even as you switch genres and tones, it all flows so well. If you made a concept album about one particular game or franchise, it could quite possibly be the greatest thing ever.

Althenias

May 21, 2009
Gotta say I loved both songs, I was convinced you had a second vocalist for Joker's song the first few times I listened to it.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
Gavin, I've been a fan of your stuff since before you came to the site, and I have to say that I've loved almost every song you've done. While I agree Mind of the Bat went on a tad too long, Joker's Song was sheer bliss in musical form, and it's easily one of my favorite songs on my iPod today, game-related or otherwise.

Out of curiosity, do you have a favorite song that you've done, at least so far? I know my favorite is Joker's Song, but I'm always intrigued by what songs the artist enjoys most, since they can differ from the general consensus.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
For myself I'd like to hear about the songs that didn't hit as well as "Commander Shephard". In the last few months it seems like every other song is a classic so I'd like to hear about how you managed to up your game so well.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
One line in "Joker's Song" that I particularly liked was "Don't you ever tire of this game?", with how it could be read as both a question and a statement/command, like he's mocking Bats for continuing their dance, yet at the same time almost begging him not to stop it.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Wheatley's Song and Mortal Kombat Party for what I'd like to see you discuss. With possible side notes on the biggest musical middle finger you've ever delivered.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
JesterRaiin said:
JesterRaiin said:
F*ck it, i'm going in !
putowtin said:
Never! a man who thinks he's a bat will never win!
batMAN for Christ's sake ! batMAN ! :)
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/12/7/c82514d6-ba40-4759-b204-2ca8fa784e1a.png

The_Lost_King said:
no, your right, he doesn't do it with high tech guns. he just does it with a bunch of other high tech goggly goop.
Batman saves a city. Shepard saves a whole fucking universe from machines that are better in every way than us. Shepard wins.
- Emperor Joker
- Final crisis
Batman Saves f*ckin' REALITY. At least twice. Your argument is invalid. ;)

purifico said:
Le image is broken. No argument = instant defeat. :D
well if shepard policed Gotham none of those problems would have happened because Shepard knows that a bullet in the head solves most every problem. Batman's villains come back because the city is to stupid to realize thaat they need to be executed. Your argument is invalid :p.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
The_Lost_King said:
well if shepard policed Gotham none of those problems would have happened because Shepard knows that a bullet in the head solves most every problem. Batman's villains come back because the city is to stupid to realize thaat they need to be executed. Your argument is invalid :p.
There are hundreds of superheroes who aren't afraid to stain their hand with blood.
Yet their work is never over.

Also : Dragon ball Z rule. You kill one villain and he'll become replaced by _Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger_ one :)

My point still stands. :)

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
Joker's Song & Mind Of The Bat

Gavin responds to your comments and questions regarding "Joker's Song" and "Mind Of The Bat".

Read Full Article
I have to say, I relly like the sort of half/upbeat of Mind of the Bat. It sorta injected this tinge of the Joker into the song. Sure it's meant to be more Bat focused, but it does feel like the Jokers messing with him kind of. Maybe I reading to much into it. Either way, I like it :)

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
JesterRaiin said:
The_Lost_King said:
There are hundreds of superheroes who aren't afraid to stain their hand with blood.

Also : Dragon ball Z rule. You kill one villain and he'll become replaced by _Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger_ one :)

Well in batman they come back because he won't kill them and this isn't dragon ball Z
MY point still stands.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
The_Lost_King said:
JesterRaiin said:
The_Lost_King said:

Well in batman they come back because he won't kill them and this isn't dragon ball Z
MY point still stands.
Every protagonist of every heroic work of fiction needs some enemy. Otherwise there's nothing more to tell. This is universal rule appreciated by writers and designers alike.
Third installment of ME will mean the end for this franchise while on other hand Batman will probably fight with evil for long, long years...
...which by the way delivers next argument : BatMan fights countless enemies, both old and completely new, and Sheppard is "Reapers oriented bloodhound".

My point still stands. :D

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
JesterRaiin said:
The_Lost_King said:
JesterRaiin said:
The_Lost_King said:

MY point still stands.
Every protagonist of every heroic work of fiction needs some enemy. Otherwise there's nothing more to tell. This is universal rule appreciated by writers and designers alike.
Third installment of ME will mean the end for this franchise while on other hand Batman will probably fight with evil for long, long years...
...which by the way delivers next argument : BatMan fights countless enemies, both old and completely new, and Sheppard is "Reapers oriented bloodhound".

Atleast Shepard can defeat his enemies who have destroyed every species since the beginning of time. Batman can't even defeat a stupid madman. plus by the amount of episodes and movies and comics batman should be dead. Shepard has a beginning middle and end.
My point still stands :p.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
The_Lost_King said:
JesterRaiin said:
Atleast Shepard can defeat his enemies who have destroyed every species since the beginning of time.
As i stated before :
- Emperor Joker
- Final crisis
Batman Saves f*ckin' REALITY. At least twice.
Reality isn't "jsut" universe - it's multidimensional collection of every possible universe, including Sheppard's. AHA ! :)

Batman can't even defeat a stupid madman.
This argument puzzles me everytime... :)

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/image/Joker_4.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/batman/images/a/af/Joker-death.jpg
http://clutch.mtv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/joker-death.jpg

By the way - it's not Batman's fault that his enemies come back, you know. ;p

plus by the amount of episodes and movies and comics batman should be dead. Shepard has a beginning middle and end.
Sorry to break your heart, but...
You forgot that Sheppard died and was resurrected by Elusive Man. Well, by his subordinates to be precise. :)

Also, what argument is this ?

My point still stands :p.
No FWay ! Kneel before Batman ! Accept him as a true savior, superior in every sense to Sheppard ! ;)