Journey Wins Game of the Year at 16th Annual D.I.C.E. Awards

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
So All Stars won best figting game. You know DICE, you already pleased me by giving Journey 8 awards, you really didnt have to do that much for me.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Hold on there, Mr. Vanderwall, I think you got some of the awards wrong. Let me pull up the correct sheet;

Action Game of the Year - Journey
Mobile Game of the Year - Journey
Handheld Game of the Year - Journey
Most Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition - Journey
Most Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design - Journey
Outstanding Achievement in Story - Journey
Outstanding Achievement in Character Performance - Journey's [Scarf Person]
Downloadable Game of the Year - Journey
Casual Game of the Year - Journey
Web Based Game of the Year - Journey
Family Game of the Year - Journey
RPG/MMO Game of the Year - Journey
Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year - Journey
Outstanding Innovation in Gaming - Journey
Sports Game of the Year - Journey
Racing Game of the Year - Journey
Fighting Game of the Year - Journey
Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay - Journey
Outstanding Achievement in Connectivity - Journey
Outstanding Achievement in Animation - Journey
Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction - Journey
Outstanding Achievement in Visual Engineering - Journey
Outstanding Achievement in Gameplay Engineering - Journey
Adventure Game of the Year - Journey
Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction - Journey
Game of the Year - Journey
A Bit More Seriously: While I respect Journey despite not having played it, the game being crowned Casual GOTY and the most "Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay" in the entirety of 2012? Honestly, that just seems like reaching.Otherwise, nothing seems too out-of-place.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
V8 Ninja said:
While I respect Journey despite not having played it, the game being crowned Casual GOTY and the most "Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay" in the entirety of 2012? Honestly, that just seems like reaching.Otherwise, nothing seems too out-of-place.
I agree with you on the Casual GOTY thing, but Journey is an achievement in Online gameplay. Every other online game last year just did something that'd already been done.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Outstanding Achievement in Online play is Journey? A game that goes back to limiting it to 2-player online co-op where you don't have the option of VOIP? How is that even logical? Spock will cry Vulcan tears...

Casual Game of the Year: Most games are casual, save for eSport games like LoL (which even has Dominion to be casual). that's just a category added to award Journey once more.

WARNING! The following is a conspiracy theory and rant (you have been warned):

It would seem that, in a year of multiple mass shootings that have caused video gaming to be in the political crosshairs, these award shows have rigged themselves to find the least violent game out there to justify the past time against the political backlash. This so called "game" is a very short Indie title that allows 2-person co-op, no voice or text communication, and is basically about the story of a living towel going through a desert.

There have been far more innovative games out there, have been far more multiplayer oriented, games which have more artistic tone (in color, expression, detail, atmosphere, etc.), and even sound was better in several other games (including music too). I really don't understand "Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction", because it wasn't even directed at being a game...there were other games that actually pushed their "game direction", including XCOM (which essentially brought back the nearly dead genre that was Turn Based Strategy).

My replacements are...

-Most Outstanding Achievement in Music Composition: ~Skyrim~ (include credit for the Dragonborn theme song, which is the single most well known song for music to come out this past year)

-Casual Game of the Year: ~Mincraft for Xbox 360~ (since we cannot give it to the PC version which released the previous year, the Xbox360 version still makes it the most casual game out there, especially with all the additional RPG elements added to the game).
-Outstanding Innovation in Gaming: ~Guild Wars 2~ (as far as I've found, every review had labeled this game innovative. Angry Joe gave it his first 10/10! Changed many of the standards within it's genre, breathing new life into the MMO genre as a whole).
-Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay: ~Guild Wars 2/Planetside 2 (I'm kind of tossed between the two on hand that they're both really great games that allow for hundreds of players to together coordinate their gameplay, communicate with each other, and fight in battles together at one time).
-Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: ~Guild Wars 2~ (It's paint-brush style applied to everything gives the game a framed view that any section of can be captured and mounted over a mantle place. Dark areas are truly, pitch black dark and light places are sun-glistening in grandeur.)
-Game of the Year: ~Guild Wars 2~ (A buy-2-play MMORPG with no monthly subscription. A game where you could play with thousands of people online, with friends and family alike. One where you could throw kegs of brew on ice, delve deep into pits of darkness for treasures abound, siege a castle, fight in a battle arena, craft some fancy cloths, explore world wide vistas, fight gigantic dragons, complete a personal story to be the hero/heroine, and so much more. A game within a painted world of mystery and beauty and enormous scale. A game that is NOT about a magical towel in a dessert suffering from over use of bloom.)

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Genocidicles said:
V8 Ninja said:
While I respect Journey despite not having played it, the game being crowned Casual GOTY and the most "Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay" in the entirety of 2012? Honestly, that just seems like reaching. Otherwise, nothing seems too out-of-place.
I agree with you on the Casual GOTY thing, but Journey is an achievement in Online gameplay. Every other online game last year just did something that'd already been done.
Not really. Two players traveling in one area simultaneously and being able to emote is neither new nor "Outstanding" in any way, at least from a technical standpoint. I would have expected something like Guild Wars 2 to really take that award home as the game does a lot of things that elevate online play, especially in the MMO market.