JRPGs, anime, and hateful main characters

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
Wenseph said:
I'm playing Xenosaga: Der wille zur macht right now, and I must say they have some great characters. There's no one that comes off as stupid, even if there's one whiny guy, but he's not a main character in that way. COS-MOS is already becoming one of my favourite characters in a JRPG, might end up as one of my favourite characters in any media if she continues the way she has been. Persona 4 has good characters too, though the main character is a blank slate, but I played him so I got the best grades in school.
And now I feel just spiteful and frustrated. Got the Xenosaga II, easily one of my favourite JRPGS to date. Agree completely in regards to KOS-MOS, suprisingly well written. Would have loved to get Xenosaga 1 and 3 as well, but for some unexplicit reason only the second game was ever released in europe and due to the region locks on DVDs I can't import them from the US. *RAGE*

On topic: made me think of Disgaea, that series always got good complex characters and well written stories. If they weren't more grindy than even I can bear...

If that is accurate regarding FF XII (and I wouldn't be surprised), then it would make it even more frustrating. It just baffles me, square-enix got some really talented writers on their staff evidently. For example, everytime that I play FF X I think that Auron and Lulu are awesome and then I hear that blonde spoiled brat. I'm supposed to focus on that guy? Seriously, that is your primary character? What were they thinking?! o_O

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
After re-watching Soul Eater recently.....Black Star. I just cant stand him, but I hate overly egotistical morons anyway.

Shinji Ikari from Evangelion also gets a mention here. You get to pilot a giant robot/monster and theres a cute ginger girl who wants to bounce on you.......STOP MOPING AROUND!

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Angelowl said:
Wenseph said:
I'm playing Xenosaga: Der wille zur macht right now, and I must say they have some great characters. There's no one that comes off as stupid, even if there's one whiny guy, but he's not a main character in that way. COS-MOS is already becoming one of my favourite characters in a JRPG, might end up as one of my favourite characters in any media if she continues the way she has been. Persona 4 has good characters too, though the main character is a blank slate, but I played him so I got the best grades in school.
And now I feel just spiteful and frustrated. Got the Xenosaga II, easily one of my favourite JRPGS to date. Agree completely in regards to KOS-MOS, suprisingly well written. Would have loved to get Xenosaga 1 and 3 as well, but for some unexplicit reason only the second game was ever released in europe and due to the region locks on DVDs I can't import them from the US. *RAGE*

On topic: made me think of Disgaea, that series always got good complex characters and well written stories. If they weren't more grindy than even I can bear...

If that is accurate regarding FF XII (and I wouldn't be surprised), then it would make it even more frustrating. It just baffles me, square-enix got some really talented writers on their staff evidently. For example, everytime that I play FF X I think that Auron and Lulu are awesome and then I hear that blonde spoiled brat. I'm supposed to focus on that guy? Seriously, that is your primary character? What were they thinking?! o_O
I live in Sweden. I haven't imported it. I'm using the PCSX2 emulator.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Cheesepower5 said:
Kaim from Lost Oddysey has a pretty good head on his shoulders, even if he comes off as overly brooding.
He annoyed me near the start; he just came off as that other kinda stereotypical Japanese protagonist, where they act like moody dicks to everyone for no adequately explained reason. The bit where you come across Seth on the street and she's like "oh, hey, we met on the train! We both didn't die!" and he's just walking past, pretending she isn't there really annoyed me. It was just rude.

It doesn't take long for him to stop being a dick, though. By the time you're in Numara, he just seems like kind of a quiet guy with a lot on his mind rather than a complete tosser.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
wooty said:
After re-watching Soul Eater recently.....Black Star. I just cant stand him, but I hate overly egotistical morons anyway.

Shinji Ikari from Evangelion also gets a mention here. You get to pilot a giant robot/monster and theres a cute ginger girl who wants to bounce on you.......STOP MOPING AROUND!
Dammit, ninja'd on Shinji!! Though I don't find Asuka cute or attractive in the slightest bit. If anything, her character makes me feel uncomfortable. What she needs is a good ***** slapping and 6 months in intense therapy. And what Shinji needs is to grow some balls and not just go along with stuff for once in his life.

I don't play JRPGs much (mostly because I'm a PC gamer and JRPGs dominantly come out on consoles) and don't watch anime much, but I can still see your point. Even if you tried to explain the cliché of "mopey 12-year old protagonist" by saying "Well that's what appeals to the masses in Japan", you still have to think, is that the only type of protagonist that appeals to the masses?

Also, this thread gives me yet another excuse to rant on...
THIS ************!!!

Not only is he a completely unlikable and unrelatable character by his actions and personality, he's unrelatable and unlikable just by default! A massively popular sports superstar living in a futuristic techno-civilization a 1000 years in the past whose main problem is getting transported said 1000 years in the future where he has to defeat his dead dad who is actually a flying Godzilla whale. Yeah, I can totally relate to that.

Fuck this guy.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Cheesepower5 said:
Kaim from Lost Oddysey has a pretty good head on his shoulders, even if he comes off as overly brooding.
The brooding also kind of works for him, so you're less inclined (not "not inclined") to hate him.

Angelowl

Feb 8, 2013
Wenseph said:
Angelowl said:
Wenseph said:

And now I just feel dumb. I blame my collectory stance towards games and that I have difficulties comprehending that a modern computer can actually emulate a PS2. It still feels like a new console to me.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I really fucking hated The Last Remnant, or its story part in each case. The story and the characters in it were absolutely pathetic.

But I think it's really very wrong to generalise these things to "anime & JRPG". Do many anime & JRPG's have terrible casts? YES.
But so do many western animations, films, series and games.

If you watch series like "Now and Then; Here and There", "Shinsekai Yori", "Shingeki no Kyojin" (just to name a few I recently saw) and pretty much anything by studio Ghibli, you learn to appreciate. With the wealth of the anime / RPG output from Japan, there's bound to be a lot of shit to sift through before you get to the peals.

TizzytheTormentor said:
Seriously, anyone who complains about Tidus, Tidus is nothing compared to Luke in terms of annoyance.
Hehe, at least in the anime, he does get better. I also wanted to punch a hole in my screen cus of that guy though.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
Luke Fon Fabre, by the gods, this guy made me want to snap the fucking cartridge in half (played the 3DS version) He is insufferable for the first half of the game
To be fair, thats what they were going for. Luke is arrogant and selfish and gets called out for it by the other protagonists until in the middle he has to change and trie to be a better person. Luke being an asshole at first is more or less the whole theme of the game.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
This kind of selfishly naive and righteous Ash Ketchum style of character also annoys me a lot, and the protagonist in The Last Remnant is one of the most exaggerated of these stereotypes I've seen. Also his name is Rush Sykes. Rush. Sykes. *Vomits*

Apart from the protagonist The Last Remnant is an utterly amazing game though, it got pretty average reviews (6/10s) but I really liked it, its one of my favourite turn based RPGs.

I don't think this stereotype of a main protagonist is too exclusive to anime and JRPGs though, I remember finding Jack from Lost very irritating because he fits this stereotype somewhat. He comes across as a lot more intelligent than say Ash Ketchum or Rush Sykes but the way he selfishly and stubbornly forces his own personal morals and ideals on everyone go on my nerves.

Then there's also the main protagonist who refuses to kill anyone that annoys the hell out of me. In some cases the character will have no problem slicing their way through henchmen who are just doing their job but when they reach the main villain who is actually responsible for the actions of the henchmen and they grow some messed up conscience and decide that killing the villain is wrong. I know that it is more interesting to leave the villains alive so they can return later etc but I'd rather have some deus ex machina brought out to save the villain than have them be saved by the main protagonists idiotic and nonsensical morals.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
Angelowl said:
Wenseph said:
Angelowl said:
Wenseph said:

And now I just feel dumb. I blame my collectory stance towards games and that I have difficulties comprehending that a modern computer can actually emulate a PS2. It still feels like a new console to me.
Don't worry about it, I didn't think it would work as well as it did at the start either. XD Also, I think you probably can bypass region locks with a PCSX2 emulator. I had more than one region to choose from when I installed my version. I think it works with real PS2 discs too, even if I use ROMs.

b.w.irenicus

Apr 16, 2013
TizzytheTormentor said:
b.w.irenicus said:
Luke Fon Fabre, by the gods, this guy made me want to snap the fucking cartridge in half (played the 3DS version) He is insufferable for the first half of the game
To be fair, thats what they were going for. Luke is arrogant and selfish and gets called out for it by the other protagonists until in the middle he has to change and trie to be a better person. Luke being an asshole at first is more or less the whole theme of the game.
I get that, but they took it too far.
Saying that saving Ions life was "a waste of time" That was just plain nasty, especially with Ion apologizing to Luke and he just scoffs at it. When Ion knows that what Van wants Luke to do is bad, he pretty much ignore him and proceeds to help the obviously evil dude.
Well, he is on really, really high horse, but that just gives the fall more meaning (in my opinion). In contrast to, say, Tidus of FFX: SE was obviously trying to make him a heroic and sympathetic character, they just fucked it up really bad.

But I get why it could be annoying for some people to get to Luke's turning point.

zefiris

Dec 3, 2011
If they acted reasonably, then there'd not be much of a game there.
A well written game works when the protagonist is smart.
Only a fool thinks that a plot can only work when the character is an idiot.

Also, it's not based on culture - that'd be a pretty stupid suggestion. It just has to do with bad writing. Western games are as terrible often enough - just look at the gargantuan incompetence displayed by Hawke in DA2. "Hi, I am supposed to check out this group of mages, who want what I want, so I will wake up to them and then fight them to death. Twice".

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Well, first of all, you likely have not played a Suikoden game, because the main characters act like reasonable, intelligent human beings most of the time in those.

Second, this really only became a problem in the PS1 and PS2 eras for games. Honestly I do not watch much anime, so it is difficult for me to comment on that. For example, Final Fantasy VI has -if one can pin the "main character" status on Terra- a main character that thinks for herself, and while she does make mistakes, is quite likeable. Same with FF IX, with one of the more lively and likeable main characters in the series.

Making your characters subjective to the events that merely happen to them is one way to tell a bad writer from a good one. In FF XII, there was no real reason for Vaan to be in the game at all, when you think about it. In FF XIII, all the characters did was react to what was happening to them by outside forces, and seemed to have no real agency of their own, despie having some fake and sophomoric philosophy to spout every now and again. I could go one about many a Square-Enix RPG. I blame the loss of Sakaguchi, a true artist.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
There is one kind of character I hate, and that's the "No matter what, I'll pull through, with the help of friendship, and I'll make the world better for everyone!" bullshit character that doesn't re-evaluate their world view, ever, and is so insufferably optimistic that even when they do that thing where they've just suffered a terrible loss and the bad guy is defeated in revenge, and the bad guy's sympathetic motive is explained through a cynical and self-sacrificing worldview and the protagonist is confronted with it, they give a speech that reiterates their naive optimism and they crack a sad smile that's meant to make you see what a truly honest and caring person they are, I still fucking hate them. Especially when they have a backstory where they undergo hardship and are ostracised from the rest of society. I'm looking at you, Naruto. You piece of s-

Ichigo Kurosaki fulfills the same narrative role (sticking to his guns, ramping up inner strength and working tirelessly to destroy the bad guys), but is a lot more down-to-business about it and never goes on about happiness or any of that fairytale crap. If the manga is anything to go by at least.

Another thing which annoys me, but doesn't necessarily prevent me from liking the character, but will break immersion a little, is the character that can predict the future or instantly analyse a person because "they're just that smart". Bullshit. No-one can do that. Characters that fall into this category include Lelouch (although he's still a favourite of mine for other reasons) and Kougami's psychologist mentor from Psycho-Pass (who is ridiculous in the instant analysis department). Contrast Sumeragi Lee Noriega, in combination with not being ridiculously sure of herself and occasionally losing, it creates a feeling that she's not omnipotent, but every strategist in the series is at the edge of their abilities rather than coasting along.

EDIT: And since I've just finished watching Psycho-Pass again, good character: Akane Tsunemori. Naive and idealistic at first, but always understandable, and ends up retaining her ideals but has a much different and more serious worldview, and even her one seemingly arbitrarily naive goal is grounded and understandable (not spoiling). This is what I like to see. Actual character development through hardship, as opposed to the relative cop-out of saying "they're just the most forgiving person in the world", which now that I look at it, is basically just an excuse to never make any real challenging ideological point.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I don't think main characters have to be likable. Laharl from Disgaea is a horrible brat and despite his character development never grows out of it. I still to find him a very good main character.

I suppose JRPG and anime heroes can be hit and miss but i actually only encountered ''hits'' and actually find their reputation a but overblown. I know those horrible emo or dumbass characters exist i just haven't seen them. The jrp's i pick usually have main characters that are praised a lot or at least don't have a hatedom.

For every emo or unlikable main character in anime's and JRPGs you also have great once like Zidane, Yuri Lowel, Laharl, and Edward Elric.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
wooty said:

#
To be fair, Black Star is supposed to be Funny/Annoying, as he's a pretty blatant piss-take of naruto