JRPGs: The best character upgrade systems

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Just another JRPG topic.

I'm curious about what YOU find the best statistics/spells/skills accrual system.

So, nothing about story, graphics, audio or even combat mechanics, just the mechanic used to strengthen your characters: equipment and leveling and all that jazz.

One of my personal favorites is the mechanic in Shadow Hearts: Covenant. It uses a standard leveling and equipment system - in combination with a Judgement Ring customization option - but the manner in which new spells are acquired, is quite ingenious. On one hand you have the Crests, which can be equipped to any character, offering a fully customizable magic load-out (like FF VII and FF VIII) while also offering character-unique skills to make sure every single one of your allies has an individual significance. The cool thing is that every characters learns new personal moves in his or her own unique way.

Also, to keep things even more varied, there are two characters than can't use Crests, but instead have the ability to transform into a selection of demon-like entities. These can also be upgraded individually.

Others I really like are the mechanics from Final Fantasy X and X-2. Like I said, we're not here to talk about story and design choices. I really liked the refreshing concept of the Sphere grid, converting "levels" as some sort of usable item on a grid filled with stat boosts, skills and spells. My only problem with this is that near the end, every character loses his individuality, except for Yuna.

I liked X-2's mechanic because it was an ingenious throwback to the old job system. It had tons of jobs which you could place on grids, allowing your characters to switch between jobs in-battle. You had everything from the Blue Mage (Gun Mage) to the White Mage, from the Dark Knight to the Berserker, all of them with a big list of moves to learn. The only problem I had with this, is that the the large freedom given to you - letting you play with all the jobs - often caused some imbalance near the end.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
I'd say the Rune Factory series.

While you'll gain Character level experience by defeating monsters, you also gain skill experience by using said skill. And, as you gain levels in skills, you'll periodically gain stats that govern that skill. It's how the Elder Scrolls should have been done, rather than playing a spreadsheet.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Like you I love job/class type systems. Final Fantasy Tactics did it really well. I like when characters have unique roles as well, as it keeps individuality. Although I loved games like FF6 and FF7 I found that having all characters being able to do basically anything at any time made them less unique.

I don't even mind a simple system in which every character has the same role forever and gets new skills or magic simply by getting to a certain level. However, I really liked how FFX and FFXIII didn't have actual levels. A departure from tradition is good as well. Digital Devil Saga had a system similar to FFX as well that I really liked.

I also absolutely loved Grandia's magic egg system. To get better at a fire spell for example you have to use the actual spell to get it to improve. Just makes sense.

I could go on forever as I love all the unique upgrade systems JRPGs have had over the years, but those are some of my favorites.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
for me Final Fantasy X-2 did everything perfectly, EXCEPT story. Everything else was down right perfect

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Mmm I like the smaller ones, I have dug into the past and gotten
Persona 4
Tales of Symphonia
Skies of Arcadia: legends

But also I have Enternal Sonata oh and Folklore

See limitations don't have to be bad as some good J or Jstyle rpg's show us.

now I also own FF XIII... yeah.. I try to like it I try to play it. But it is like trying to have a relationships with someone it just doesn't works with. It just doesn't works!

Yes I also got Grandia laying around..should play that again.. good stuff good games interesting characters stories that happen. And you know Final Fantasy XIII-2...who knows.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I agree with FFX having a great upgrade system. I'd also like to mention Persona 4, as I'm really fond of the Social Link system. There's nothing quite so satisfying as maxing out a Social Link, fusing a persona, and having it's levels skyrocket WAAAY above your own.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Persona 3 was probably the JRPG that I enjoyed the most, so I'll say that. Your character's level decides your HP and SP, while each of your Personas has different Strength, Defense etc., and your Persona's power depends on the corresponding Social Links.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
While I am a rather large Atlus fanboy so I feel a bit Biased, I feel like their games had good mechanics. Persona is essentially demon Pokemon but with the trainer taking the hits, and the DDS got you to buy the potential of skills, and through battle you earn those skills, as well as getting basic exp. I also like how basic Dark Souls' levelling system is, and how there's a large focus on finding new, and upgrading your equipment, rather than only levelling.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I think the Golden Sun series did an excellent job with customization.

You could attach multiple Djinn (elemental spirits) to change their class, giving them different stats and Psynergy to cast.

While you could be boring and just hand 9 Water Djinn to Mia and make her an Angel, you could just as easily give her 5 Wind and 4 Earth to change her to a Pure Mage.

Or trade 7 of Isaac's 9 Earth Djinn for 7 Water Djinn and change his class to Protector.

It was so easy to use, but rather deep in how you could manipulate your party members into what you wanted them to be.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
hopeneverdies said:
I think the Golden Sun series did an excellent job with customization.

You could attach multiple Djinn (elemental spirits) to change their class, giving them different stats and Psynergy to cast.

While you could be boring and just hand 9 Water Djinn to Mia and make her an Angel, you could just as easily give her 5 Wind and 4 Earth to change her to a Pure Mage.

Or trade 7 of Isaac's 9 Earth Djinn for 7 Water Djinn and change his class to Protector.

It was so easy to use, but rather deep in how you could manipulate your party members into what you wanted them to be.
I agree. Golden Sun is amazing, especially in the character customization, and world interaction departments. It also has amazing combat and summons. Screw it, Golden Sun is just flat out amazing.