JRPGs you enjoyed

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Every Level 5 rpg, every single player Final Fantasy from 9 forward, every good turn-based rpg thats a jrpg somehow... the list goes on. Never tried Xenosaga though.

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
I played Final Fantasy VII for the first time earlier and enjoyed the brief 20 minute session I had with it. In fact, I feel like playing it now.

cernik

Dec 4, 2009
Bloody Crimson said:
cernik said:
Normally I side with yhatzee on the whole Jrpg argument, normally it just seems like a group of 3 or more 10-14 year olds with outrageous hair/weaponry/armor/methods of transportation trying to kill a bad guy who will eventually turn out to be the lesser of two evils, but I have to admit, Persona 3 is one of my very favorite games of all time,

So I ask you escapist, what Jrpgs do you like?
I think there's been plenty of threads already like this, and your views on JRPGs look copy-paste Yahtzee. Not going to complain, it just is a little irritating.

As for myself I love JRPGs, mainly because I'm an anime fan. My main favorites so far happen to be
Kingdom Hearts [all that have come out so far]
.hack [mainly G.U.]
EDIT:
Mana Khemia
Fire Emblem
I like anime too, not as much as I used to, but I still like it, and now that I look at it, I'm seeing a lot of games on some of the posts in this thread that counted as Jrpgs, but I admit, Persona 3 has made me want to try some other ones

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I quite liked what I played of Final Fantasy IX. I think it is the best I have seen so far from the FF series, partly because of the light tone, partly because you bump into the occasional monster that actually wants to be friendly (I found that really charming).

Bloody Crimson

Sep 3, 2009
cernik said:
Bloody Crimson said:
cernik said:
Normally I side with yhatzee on the whole Jrpg argument, normally it just seems like a group of 3 or more 10-14 year olds with outrageous hair/weaponry/armor/methods of transportation trying to kill a bad guy who will eventually turn out to be the lesser of two evils, but I have to admit, Persona 3 is one of my very favorite games of all time,

So I ask you escapist, what Jrpgs do you like?
I think there's been plenty of threads already like this, and your views on JRPGs look copy-paste Yahtzee. Not going to complain, it just is a little irritating.

As for myself I love JRPGs, mainly because I'm an anime fan. My main favorites so far happen to be
Kingdom Hearts [all that have come out so far]
.hack [mainly G.U.]
EDIT:
Mana Khemia
Fire Emblem
I like anime too, not as much as I used to, but I still like it, and now that I look at it, I'm seeing a lot of games on some of the posts in this thread that counted as Jrpgs, but I admit, Persona 3 has made me want to try some other ones
Well I'd suggest Kingdom Hearts first to get it down, then a few Final Fantasy [preferably the older titles], then head to the more hardcore ones. .hack has anime as well, it's one of my all-time favs, and if you like anime and JRPGs you will like it.
Never played a Persona game.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
I'm not ashamed to say that I live for JRPG's. I love almost every one I played. Here's a small list of those I've beaten and enjoyed:

FF7-10
FFT
Legend of Disgaea
Arc the Lad
Vandal Hearts 1 & 2
Shining Force 2
Super Mario World
Super Mario RPG
Pokemon Red, Blue, and Yellow

In fact there are very few I've beaten and didn't like:

.hack Infection
Culdecept Saga

... That's what I can remember right now anyway. I know there are a couple more.

Hurray Forums

Jun 4, 2008
Persona 3 and 4: I preferred 4 since the super "dark" theme of Persona 3 didn't really mesh very well with various gameplay and story elements. Still an amazing game but I just prefer Persona 4 so I would try that and if you like it and want more then get Persona 3. All the aspects of Persona 4 from music to graphics to setting work together VERY well in order to make an experience that's more then the sum of it's parts. Mega points for making turn based combat FUN!

Xenosaga 1 and 3: Gameplay is boring, if not broken or frustrating, story presentation is AWFUL(cutscenes so long they had to save points in the middle of them like some sort of intermission...) and the subplots are often times uninspired but the main story itself is so good I was able to overlook all these flaws and value it more highly then any other game I've played. Just don't go in expecting any fun. Seriously, not a drop, there's none to be had here. The fun is dead. DEAD!

Star Ocean: Gameplay is very fun and there's TONS to do, story is usually pretty bad but it doesn't take itself too seriously so it's not all that bothersome.

Disgaea: Love it or hate it on this one. SRPG with heavy anime influences that enjoy's parodying/deconstructing/satiring pretty much everything at one point or another, Japanese culture, video games in general, and "hero stories" being the most common targets. Silly and unique from start to finish and generally really funny to boot.

There's lots more but these are my "standard" recommendations.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Tales of Symphonia
and
Final Fantasy VII
are the only ones I played, I liked both.
But I liked Tales of Symphonia the most.
[sup]At the time I hadn't even heard the word JRPG.[/sup]

lenneth

Aug 17, 2008
Disgaeas 1,2 and 3
Pretty much every FF i've played with 6 being the standout
Mother/Earthbound
Mother 3
Valkyria Chronicles and Odin Sphere if they count
The World Ends With You
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Chrono Trigger
FF CC Ring of Fates is great fun in the unlikely scenario that you have 3-4 freinds to play it with
Pokemon

and im positive there is ones ive forgotten

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
Lord, a lot! I have tons of JRPGS
Final Fantasy - generally not one specifically (loved X and XII though)
Golden Sun
Breath of Fire (but not Dragon Quarter, cos that was turd)
Star Ocean - again generally (love them all)
Lost Odyssey
Xenosaga II (I liked it)
Dragon Quest VIII
Rogue Galaxy
Shin Megami Tensai (Lucifer's call and DD Saga and DD Saga II)
And, urgh, just many many, OK? :)

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Off the top of my head:
I Loved
Persona 3/4
DDS1/2
Wild Arms 1-3
FF4/6/9
Lost Odyssey
Tales of Vesperia/Legindia/Symphonia
Both Paper Marios
The .Hack series
Kingdom Hearts(everything but Chain of Memories)
I liked
Eternal Sonata
Star Ocean 4
Wild Arms 4
Persona PSP

I rarely meet a JRPG I hate, only 2 games are that bad to me are Mana Khemia and Suikioden 4

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
A lot.

Legend of Mana is my all time favorite, though.

Other top favorites are Wild ARMs 1/2/3, SaGa Frontier 1, Chrono Cross (Not Trigger, you read that right. CROSS), Grandia 1/2, and Final Fantasy 5/8/10.