Judge Denies Bethesda Fallout Injunction

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Bad Cluster said:
Doug said:
Bad Cluster said:
Rayjay06 said:
snip
The shady sort require you to sacrifice a puppie to join their ranks. Anywho, I have to sadly shake my head at the people who seem to think Fallout 1/2 where somehow perfect and Fallout 3 is the evil spawn of satan. Ok, Fallout 3 has bugs and problems, but so does Fallout 1/2, as well as a host of bugs the retards at Interplay never bothered to fix (And a 'delightful' 'fix' to the European edition which included invisible talking stealing kids) because they never gave a shit about the customer and where just lucky to create Fallout 1/2 as good as they did.
I see, how about kittens or bunnies? Don't tell me I've been sacrificing it wrong.
I'm afraid you have; Puppies only!

Starke said:
Doug said:
Bad Cluster said:
Rayjay06 said:
Interplay messed up their own universe with Tactics and BoS. Even so, I couldn't care less about Interplay having the rights to create a Fallout MMO. The very concept of an MMO set in Post-Apocalyptia is almost as ridiculous as the concept of MMOs in the first place.

Oh and those of you that want to see Fallout returned to the "good ol' days", that's not going to happen, sorry. We are well into the 21st century, get a game that reflects that. If you want to play your outdated games pick something up that actually stood up to the test of time (e.g. Super Mario Bros.) but don't tell us modern gamers that a game made to today's standards and done well is not as good as your precious games that didn't garner nearly the same attention (in sales or critical recognition).
It is a good idea to always speak for yourself, unless you are some kind of a politician.
Also it wold be nice for you to be so kind and describe what is the difference between a modern gamer and the rest them shady types?
Are you also trying to say that quantity always supports quality?
I'm confused, sorry.
The shady sort require you to sacrifice a puppie to join their ranks. Anywho, I have to sadly shake my head at the people who seem to think Fallout 1/2 where somehow perfect and Fallout 3 is the evil spawn of satan. Ok, Fallout 3 has bugs and problems, but so does Fallout 1/2, as well as a host of bugs the retards at Interplay never bothered to fix (And a 'delightful' 'fix' to the European edition which included invisible talking stealing kids) because they never gave a shit about the customer and where just lucky to create Fallout 1/2 as good as they did.
i THINK... my caps lock is on.

I think that the team Black Isle genuinly cared about the games. And I know for a fact that Bethesda did. Soo it's a pretty dicy distnction to make. That Interplay didn't care about the quality of material they were putting out, that was much less forgivable.
True; just looking at the details lashed on getting the technology looking like it did in Fallout 1/2 shows that Bethesda where trying there best. Frankly, I think the effort was alittle wasted; the ultra-fanboys wouldn't have been happy with anything short of a 2D isometric game.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Doug said:
Starke said:
Doug said:
Bad Cluster said:
Rayjay06 said:
Interplay messed up their own universe with Tactics and BoS. Even so, I couldn't care less about Interplay having the rights to create a Fallout MMO. The very concept of an MMO set in Post-Apocalyptia is almost as ridiculous as the concept of MMOs in the first place.

Oh and those of you that want to see Fallout returned to the "good ol' days", that's not going to happen, sorry. We are well into the 21st century, get a game that reflects that. If you want to play your outdated games pick something up that actually stood up to the test of time (e.g. Super Mario Bros.) but don't tell us modern gamers that a game made to today's standards and done well is not as good as your precious games that didn't garner nearly the same attention (in sales or critical recognition).
It is a good idea to always speak for yourself, unless you are some kind of a politician.
Also it wold be nice for you to be so kind and describe what is the difference between a modern gamer and the rest them shady types?
I'm confused, sorry.

I think that the team Black Isle genuinly cared about the games. And I know for a fact that Bethesda did. Soo it's a pretty dicy distnction to make. That Interplay didn't care about the quality of material they were putting out, that was much less forgivable.
True; just looking at the details lashed on getting the technology looking like it did in Fallout 1/2 shows that Bethesda where trying there best. Frankly, I think the effort was alittle wasted; the ultra-fanboys wouldn't have been happy with anything short of a 2D isometric game.
You don't need to tell me that, I think I still have an account on NMA. And, to be fair, I'm pretty sure the ultrafanboys would have been disappointed with Van Buren as well. I remember someone posting to the effect "If you loved Fallout 1, but didn't love Fallout 2, because it was too green, and this and that, I'm afraid we're not making a game for you."

Fallout's fandom has forever gleefully attacked anything that shifts a half an inch out of their range of expectation. Fallout 2 was only really accepted by the uberfans after Brotherhood of Steel multilated the game. And honestly, Fallout 3 is truer to the cannon than Tactics, but they ***** about it being an FPS. Because, obviously a tripple A title should only compete with King's Bounty The Legend and Heroes of Might and Magic V. :(

Shit, I started ranting, I'm sorry.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Commander Breetai said:
Um...if you're buying the trilogy, doesn't that sort of by definition mean you're buying Fallout 3?
Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout: Tactics

And thats' why they're getting sued.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Jaranja said:
Psychosocial said:
Oh dear god yes, there's still hope for another good Fallout! I'm so damn happy! :)
Apart from Interplay breaking the law to make it. You can't sell the rights to your game then pretend you had it all along and continue with it.
Apparently they can, seeing as they came out victorious here.
That's why it's fucking stupid.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
coldalarm said:
I'm unsure really what's going on. I thought some V13 shots had recently been released?

Bethesda made a game different to Fallout 1/2, that's true. But they updated the IP and brought it to a new audience, so surely that's good? People have been going back and buying things like Fallout Trilogy so they can experience the originals - that's got to be good for Interplay, hasn't it?

I think they need to confess and say they regret selling it, and I would bet the reason is that Bethesda have revived the series and made a killing from it - one Interplay may not have made themselves.
The ultra fanboys disagree. To them, anything other than a 2D isometric game "ISN'T A FALLOUT GAME", and anyone other than Interplay making a Fallout game is an automatic 'bad game'.

Personally, I find the attitude annoying. As for Interplay themselves, I doubt they could have made a killing from the IP themselves; they've shown with Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel that they aren't really able to make good games anymore, and frankly, there always seemed to be mismanagement by the management there.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Starke said:
Doug said:
Starke said:
Doug said:
Bad Cluster said:
Rayjay06 said:

I'm confused, sorry.

You don't need to tell me that, I think I still have an account on NMA. And, to be fair, I'm pretty sure the ultrafanboys would have been disappointed with Van Buren as well. I remember someone posting to the effect "If you loved Fallout 1, but didn't love Fallout 2, because it was too green, and this and that, I'm afraid we're not making a game for you."

Fallout's fandom has forever gleefully attacked anything that shifts a half an inch out of their range of expectation. Fallout 2 was only really accepted by the uberfans after Brotherhood of Steel multilated the game. And honestly, Fallout 3 is truer to the cannon than Tactics, but they ***** about it being an FPS. Because, obviously a tripple A title should only compete with King's Bounty The Legend and Heroes of Might and Magic V. :(

Shit, I started ranting, I'm sorry.
Nah, don't worry about the ranting, I've seen the same shit on NMA. "OMG, they dared move out of the grey/brown colour set, ITS NOT A FALLOUT GAME!!!!!!!"

*sigh* there's just no pleasing some people. They want the same game with a better UI, and thats it. I see some of the same thing with the Deus Ex crowd (though not to the same degree, and frankly, DE 2 really wasn't as good as DE (1) - even Warren Spector said so in the post-release analysis of the project).

Now, I want a good Deus Ex game in DE 3, but I don't think it needs to slavishly copy DE1 to be good.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Why are we talking about ultra fan boys? I don't see any posting here. I see no posts matching your descriptions here.
All I can see so far are the ultra anti fanboys, or, maybe they are fanboys too, just on the other side of the trench?
So hard to tell this days.

Atvomat_Nikonov

Jul 2, 2008
Starke said:
Commander Breetai said:
Um...if you're buying the trilogy, doesn't that sort of by definition mean you're buying Fallout 3?

It's a legittimate case as well. Buying a boxset labeled a trilogy makes you automatically assume you will get the first second and third games/films/books not the first two and a spin-off. I definately think the judge should have make Interplay rename their Fallout Trilogy to something different. I mean, I have this 'Fallout Trilogy' (One, two and tactics) and I think it's called the 'Fallout Collection' and it even says what games you recieve on the front cover. Replacing the Fallout Trilogy with this collection would have been a much better court ruling in my opinion. Even better would have been making the Fallout Trilogy an actual trilogy and splitting the profits between Interplay and Bethesda.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Doug said:
Nah, don't worry about the ranting, I've seen the same shit on NMA. "OMG, they dared move out of the grey/brown colour set, ITS NOT A FALLOUT GAME!!!!!!!"

*sigh* there's just no pleasing some people. They want the same game with a better UI, and thats it. I see some of the same thing with the Deus Ex crowd (though not to the same degree, and frankly, DE 2 really wasn't as good as DE (1) - even Warren Spector said so in the post-release analysis of the project).

Now, I want a good Deus Ex game in DE 3, but I don't think it needs to slavishly copy DE1 to be good.
Deus Ex 2 was certainly a massive letdown after the original. I mean, I'm getting off topic, but I still don't know what the hell happened there. And I don't really believe that it was "dumbed down for the XBox."
Atvomat_Nikonov said:
Starke said:
Commander Breetai said:

It's a legittimate case as well. Buying a boxset labeled a trilogy makes you automatically assume you will get the first second and third games/films/books not the first two and a spin-off. I definately think the judge should have make Interplay rename their Fallout Trilogy to something different. I mean, I have this 'Fallout Trilogy' (One, two and tactics) and I think it's called the 'Fallout Collection' and it even says what games you recieve on the front cover. Replacing the Fallout Trilogy with this collection would have been a much better court ruling in my opinion. Even better would have been making the Fallout Trilogy an actual trilogy and splitting the profits between Interplay and Bethesda.

I'll admit, I am more than a little surprised to see this case get thrown out.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I know the story and I know all the whys and the whats on the happening. Go, Interplay, go.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
HG131 said:
Crazycat690 said:
"Interplay fuck the game up"? Bethesda fucked fallout up!!! Fallout 3 isnt fallout!!! Its "Elder Scrolls: Apocalyptic Oblivion 2270"!
Hello, you are on the wrong website, I think. You see, this isn't NMO, this is The Escapist.
So that would explain all the Escapist banners...I was wondering about those.

Guess I shouldn't have taken that left at Albuquerque.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
FalloutJack said:
I know the story and I know all the whys and the whats on the happening. Go, Interplay, go.
Now admittedly I probably don't know as much as you. So correct me if I am seeing this in a wrong light.

To me it sounds silly of Interplay. The Fallout Trilogy?. Did they have to name it that? It kind of implies that Fallout 3 is in it. Seeing as the last on was "Tactics".

Plus with all the new popularity brought by Bethesda to he series, it seems to me like Interplay is just trying to trick people who loved Fallout 3/people who are interested in possibly buying it and might be looking to buy the other games of the series into buying this set.

It also seems a little bit mean to do to Bethesda. Like not counting their game as a Fallout game.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
pimppeter2 said:
FalloutJack said:
Now admittedly I probably don't know as much as you. So correct me if I am seeing this in a wrong light.

To me it sounds silly of Interplay. The Fallout Trilogy?. Did they have to name it that? It kind of implies that Fallout 3 is in it. Seeing as the last on was "Tactics".

Plus with all the new popularity brought by Bethesda to he series, it seems to me like Interplay is just trying to trick people who loved Fallout 3/people who are interested in possibly buying it and might be looking to buy the other games of the series into buying this set.

It also seems a little bit mean to do to Bethesda. Like not counting their game as a Fallout game.
Oh, I'm not cheering Interplay because of possible attempts to snooker anyone about trilogies and whatnot. Of course, chances are it says what the buyer be getting on the box and the company name of Interplay would be on there. Plus, it's common knowledge that Bethesda did Fallout 3. So, I imagine that most people would really never assume that they're getting the first two age-old Fallouts with a PS3/X-Box/PC game that is leagues apart from it.

But that is not what the cheer is about. I wanna see this MMO. I'm not a huge fan, per se, of MMOs, but I still wanna see what it's got.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
pimppeter2 said:
FalloutJack said:
Sorry then, I just wanted to see if I was interpreting this news wrong
That this case will not be pursued and that Bethesda has not been able to hold Interplay in shackles over an agreement breach tells me that there was no obvious intent to stone Bethesda. Things like this happen all the time.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
FO 2D is deeper FO3 is more fun but a 32th as long since they don't give you enough equipment to keep the game interesting skills were shat on VATS is a joke..oh wait no skills were a joke and VATS was shat on...... its still a neat lil unfinished project....

Oh a side note if Fo3 was like Dragon Age(only with a proper over wold and quick travel like arcanum or fo1-2 but faster and you still had random encounters you just teleported to the over world) the world would have imploded from the goodness.

Ah beth Obalivion and Fall Obalivion are wanky action titles kinda like KOTOR and ME only less polished and much much shorter(it terms of a balanced solid main story and game play)...