Judge: EA Can Profit from College Players' Likeness

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Jumwa said:
ph0b0s123 said:
I am assuming that no money was paid to Bush for the 'W' movie. Same thing here isn't it?
Public figures have always been an exemption to such rules. Typically whatever governments do is considered public domain, and politicians themselves then too are open to such openness, though there have been motions to change that in recent years.

And in the case of satire you could always imitate likenesses.
Um no, parody and "current" political commentary are protected under the fair use clause, most of satire is not protected.

Micalas

Mar 5, 2011
Baldr said:
Most High Profile college athletes get paid to play, it called scholarships. Instead of the money going to the individual, it goes to the NCAA, which in turn gives out more scholarships(not just to football, but other sports as well.) This allows more people to go to college. I know it is their likeness, but wanting the money for yourself instead of helping others is a little selfish.
Seeing as how the vast majority of the football stars take bullshit classes for a bullshit degree with likely answer correctness leniency, I'm pretty sure they're not benefiting much from that scholarship. I want to see the players group up and say:

"Nah, we don't need your scholarship. We'll pay our own tuition with all the money we'll make playing football. What's that? You won't let anyone play if they're making money? I guess you don't have a season then!"

These people work at their sport as hard as the professionals and they get dick for it. Let's pretend for a second that it's a ridiculous number like $50,000 a year for tuition. Throughout their 4 years they received $200,000 worth of compensation. The people warming the bench in the NFL make more that that. There's a gross inequality.

And if you are are selfless, go bust your ass for hours working out until you puke and then get manhandled by some 400 pound dude named Jamal on the green. Make sure you donate your paycheck when you're done!

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Micalas said:
And if you are are selfless, go bust your ass for hours working out until you puke and then get manhandled by some 400 pound dude named Jamal on the green. Make sure you donate your paycheck when you're done!
I wish I could, but whatever money I have that I don't depend on for necessities I use to pay off my $100,000 in student loans.

risenbone

Sep 3, 2010
Sports should be removed from schools thats high school and college. The NFL, NBA and their liknesses should pay for the development of their talent themselves through junior competions that arn't funded by local tax payers. The NFL should especially because outside the USA their sport doesn't matter at all.

If you want an example how that can be achieved look at soccer world wide. Or a sport that has similar localised intrest try Hurling in Ireland.

While yes I'm sure there are collages that make a profit off their sports programs I don't think it's nearly as wide spread as certain parties with an interest in keeping the status quo would have you believe. On top of hat I'm yet to hear of a high school turning a profit from being the ground zero of training these future profesional athletes.

As to the arguement that it allows people who wouldn't normally get to go to collage into one. What do they do to take advantage of this oppitunity? They take business or communication degrees for the most part. Two degrees which are practicly useless and why it seems most reired lesser known professonal atheletes end up either in local broardcasting as sports commentators or trading off their name as some kind of insurance or used car businessmen. The numbers of athletic doctors and engineers can be counted off without taking off your shoes. You know the kind of educated people any country need to move forward.

Long story short the whole "student athelete" thing is broken and just another example of the taxpayer supporting people who don't need support.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Alphakirby said:
Must. Resist. South Park Reference...
It's funny because if everyone had 100% control of their likeness, South Park is the second to go down, quickly after Family Guy.

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Not surprised even a bit. Though this just fuels my rage for the destruction of EA. If we were in high school, I'd kick the shit out of EA for being a snobby rich kid that thinks it's above everyone else. The video games is art shit drops to me as soon as you consider a game a sports simulator. If you're making money off of the collective of thousands of different college students every year, you should at least have to pay some form of royalties. Especially when you strong arm every other game studio out of competition.

I also like how it's called "Expressive works" as if literally copying a roster and adding on to an already established game engine is being "expressive" in some way. I think it sounds more like emulation works, or the ability to copy reality to me.

Then again, perhaps I'm biased because I want EA to go away as a publisher. I wish more companies had the finances to successfully publish their own games, so less greedy publishers manipulated good developers and their games.