Judge Rules Megaupload Raid Illegal

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Judge Rules Megaupload Raid Illegal

A new ruling may keep Megaupload founder Kim Dotcom from being extradited to the US.

Back in January, Kim Dotcom, founder of Megaupload, had his mansion raided and hard drives seized as part of the US Government's drive to prosecute the alleged internet pirate. The US Department of Justice was very, very keen to see him in an American court, but a ruling from a New Zealand judge may have put the brakes on this rush to justice. It says that the raid on Dotcom's mansion was without basis, therefore the search and seizure of Megaupload hard drives that followed was illegal.

Justice Winklemann added that, in her view, it was "clear that the police, in executing the warrants, have exceeded what they could lawfully be authorized to do." She also said that the New Zealand police were wrong to hand over cloned copies of Dotcom's hard drives to the FBI. The Feds apparently whisked the drives out of the country as quickly as they could, in contravention of an explicit directive that said any items seized were to remain in the possession of the NZ Commissioner of Police.

Dotcom said, in a statement issued after the ruling, that he was very happy with the result. "We are digesting and analysing Justice Winklemann's judgment, and considering our next steps."

Given the nature of the ruling, it now seems unlikely that Dotcom will face extradition to a US court. On Friday, his lawyers will argue in Virginia federal court that the DoJ case should be thrown out, as the US has no jurisdiction over foreign corporations such as Megaupload.

Source: The Guardian [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jun/28/kim-dotcom-judge-raid-illegal]

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
The point of this entire raid was never to convict. It was to destroy. That's the crippling flaw in the legal system. They already did the raid. They already seized everything. Megaupload has been on life support for months with all it's funds frozen and personnel arrested or in hiding.

Nothing next to a miracle can save them. Just like the politicians bribed by the media industry wanted.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Surprisingly no mention of immigrants or paedophiles, considering the source is the Grauniad.

... so anyway, does this mean we'll be getting MegaUpload back? [sub]Stop sniggering back there! I'm serious![/sub]

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
Loop Stricken said:
Surprisingly no mention of immigrants or paedophiles, considering the source is the Grauniad.

... so anyway, does this mean we'll be getting MegaUpload back? [sub]Stop sniggering back there! I'm serious![/sub]
i see someone has a lifetime subscription...

OT: a victory for megaupload, i guess?

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Oh there's a novelty, America doing whatever the f**k it wants. Why, I've never before heard of such a thing.

Anywho, I'm sure they'll find some bulls**t reason to bring him over there regardless of what the NZ courts say. This won't be the end of it.

Captcha: Water gate. ROFL.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Shoulda drone-bombed him, guys. That way you don't have to deal with these pesky "laws" and stuff.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
This is neat and all but regardless, I highly doubt megaupload will come back. Sad........because it was great.

Octorok

May 28, 2009
Great news, but I doubt the US cares particularly. If they were content to lash out at multiple individuals (not just Megaupload, there was that British chap) who committed no crime on US soil and were not citizens of the US and demand that they be extradited, I don't see them having any problem with just cheating their way out of this and getting the guy to the US anyway.

All throughout this they have shown no respect whatsoever for liberties or international law, why should they start now?

I just wish the citizens of our nations (I live in the UK. It's almost as bad here, although we didn't have SOPA.) would see what is happening/has happened to our politics. But they just don't care.

I don't mean to sound like one of those crazy militia types who think the government has bugged their house, or be massively over-dramatic like those V for Vendetta-style Anonymous videos, but I am genuinely concerned about the future of our freedoms. Already in the US the military can arrest anyone it likes, while allowing them almost no rights (no right to an attorney, to maximum detention time etc) due to the Defence law they passed a few months back, and here in the UK it's about to be legal for the government to monitor all of your internet traffic if they think you're suspicious.

The future is dark and frightening.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
And if the UK government grew some balls and did the same thing, I would be a happy man. However, our politicians are corrupt, inefficient and self-serving, so nope, sorry, innocent people America wants to steal and imprison. No help from Downing Street for you!

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Speaking as an American, I hope the Department of Justice gets raked over the coals for this. Wouldn't mind seeing a few high-seated supervisors over there lose their jobs.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
They already tore MegaUpload down permanently, they don't need a conviction.

Also what's to stop them ignoring this ruling just like they ignored the one not to waltz in and take the drives?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Lumber Barber said:
Those fat fucks at 'Murrika better pay him for all the damage they caused.
Because we're all hateful fat asses, right?

Jesus, did you stop to think you might be worse than the people you're insulting?

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
I'm confused, why would this guy be extradited to the US for this? In fact lately alot of people are being (or are about to be) extradited to the US for things that didn't happen of US soil, what are they the only people who can prosecute pirates and internet users now?

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Frostbite3789 said:
Lumber Barber said:

Jesus, did you stop to think you might be worse than the people you're insulting?
Yeah, that was, um... wow.

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Lumber Barber said:

To be fair, I don't think they illegally confiscated a shit-tonne of users' data and shut down a company.
I could however be wrong.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Dryk said:
They already tore MegaUpload down permanently, they don't need a conviction.

Also what's to stop them ignoring this ruling just like they ignored the one not to waltz in and take the drives?
"accidentally" taking the hard drives is something that can be overlooked easily. THis case is relatively high profile, and a lot of people are keeping their eyes on NZ, the US, and Kim.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Hopefully something comes from this.
Sadly it wont.

Since as long as its someone from the US breaking international stuff nothing will happen.
Because if someone from another country did this to a US citizen you can bet they would ***** about it.