Judge Says Apple Will "Probably" Lose Appstore Court Challenge

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
Phlakes said:
...Wait, so now people are hating on Apple? The fuck?

Could you get over yourselves? Just because something is popular or a company is rich doesn't mean they're evil. I mean this is obviously a mistake, but now you're all saying it's a terrible company and needs to be brought down.
Yeah... you seem to be several years behind the rest of us here in 2011.

Might I direct your attention to this for a brief introductory course in "Apple".

http://www.cracked.com/article_18377_5-reasons-you-should-be-scared-apple.html

For further information into just how bad Apple (geddit?) are, I'm sure there's lots of stuff online.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
twaddle said:
Well the good news is that they lost the case for this one. The incredibly bad news is that they recently got the won the race for a patent the "Touch screen technology" which means all touch screen tech that is made they can charge the other cheaper better companies because of said patent which is bollocks
source? this doesn't seems very credible, touch screen technology has been around for over 30 years

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
GrandmaFunk said:
twaddle said:
Well the good news is that they lost the case for this one. The incredibly bad news is that they recently got the won the race for a patent the "Touch screen technology" which means all touch screen tech that is made they can charge the other cheaper better companies because of said patent which is bollocks
source? this doesn't seems very credible, touch screen technology has been around for over 30 years
Sorry getting back to this so late. U want sources? I got several
http://www.pcworld.com/article/230892/apple_gets_touchscreen_patent_makes_things_potentially_awkward_for_rivals.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20073257-17/apple-scores-broad-patent-on-touch-screens/

and this should be the actual patent
http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,966,578.PN.&OS=PN/7,966,578&RS=PN/7,966,578

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Great, this really matters now that apple has been granted a patent that legally allows them to fuck anyone making a phone with a touchscreen.

jayzz911

Nov 9, 2010
Hmmm maybe i should patent a device with any number of buttons on it? or perhaps the colour white?

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Baresark said:
And Amazon's Appstore, one free paid app a day has really worked out for me.
Free Pacman, free Plants vs Zombies, and free Aporkalypse that ended-up being a lot more fun than it's ridiculous name implied? Hell yes! Oh right, and I also got Peggle for free the other day. The Amazon Appstore is definitely a daily visit for me, so I'm glad that this lawsuit has fizzled (or rather, is most likely to).

Edit: Also? The hell with Apple. *Hugs his Thunderbolt running Droid OS* <3

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
Nurb said:
Apple has become the new "Microsoft".

Except Microsoft in the 90's was catching all kinds of shit for only including IE in its OS, but Apple is allowed to control everyone's device despite it being private property, how they use it, what they put on it, and what software can go on it and no one seems to bat an eye.
Too true. I don't think their products are bad, and their developer base definitely is smart enough to keep things simple and focused (major advantage) but the management of Apple has always wanted to be more Microsoft than Microsoft. They just couldn't do it LIKE Microsoft because MS got there "first with the most" due to licensing the OS, and Apple wanted to own the hardware sales too. (Which was also a good thing for stability and reliability, and I can't fault those aspects of their strategy, but it does put them in the Hardware Nazi seat, and they've totally adopted the black uniform with jackboots on that issue).

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
I haven't checked the prior art, but I don't see anything in this patent about how they differentiate finger from stylus. A finger is not a different instrument than a stylus in touch method, other than obviously not requiring a stylus. The difference in method is how you discern that it's a finger instead of a stylus and what you do with the information.

I DO see that they have a method for gesture identification, and that's (again without checking prior art) very likely a valid claim. But the "finger" part of it? I call that pretty weak, given that stylus touch screens and touchpads both existed before this patent.

Then again, the patent office has been totally corrupt for a hundred years or more now. The Patent Academy and Patent Office together are basically a revolving door to the corporate patent world and 3-figure hourly rates, 40 hours a week baby. The important thing when you're there is that:

a) you get your credentials in some field, and

b) you make friends with examiners who agree with how you write patents so that you can get them specifically (and there's an official request process for this, no joke) to review the patents you write for clients after you leave and set up your own shop. Because that makes it more likely the patents will not be challenged.

So I long ago gave up on seeing anything objective come out of a system like that. Sad really, but since the Patent Office actually makes money for the government, I don't see it changing.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
twaddle said:
Sorry getting back to this so late. U want sources? I got several
http://www.pcworld.com/article/230892/apple_gets_touchscreen_patent_makes_things_potentially_awkward_for_rivals.html

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20073257-17/apple-scores-broad-patent-on-touch-screens/
well that's completely ludicrous, is no one calling the patent office on all this bullshit?

I'm not much for conspiracies but at this point is there any possible explanation other than pervasive corruption at the patent office?