Judging By The Cover: Judging War for the Planet of the Apes

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I hate to imply racism but the majority of Apes on the ground in the background have a black skin tone while most of the others have a peach skin tone.
I will now welcome you for the migraine I just gave you.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The one ape one the left of the trio in front looks like the pet shop ape from Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Good eye, Yahtzee, catching blatant copy-pasting like that. I didn't notice at first, because the focus is on the 3 APES (NOT MONKEYS!) on horseback in the center.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Jacked Assassin said:
I hate to imply racism but the majority of Apes on the ground in the background have a black skin tone while most of the others have a peach skin tone.
To be honest, I've been getting a weird racism vibe from this movie series from the very start. Oddly, the moment that first weirded me out that way was when the guy who owns the business (a black guy) screams "Stupid Monkey!" which could, under a different context, be construed as a racial slur. I wondered at first if this was trying to make some sort of statement, or if there was some intended irony about a black guy using what is basically a racial slur against black people to insult a creature he deems less than himself . . . but that line of thought didn't seem to go anywhere at first, so I just kinda decided to let it go.
And then the rest of the movies happen and there keeps being all these weird little moments that give me a vague feeling of racism that almost seem like they could be meant as ironic or in some way meaningful, but again don't go anywhere with that line of reasoning and just leave me wondering if the writers of these films are doing it on purpose, or if they don't realize they're doing it.

Grey_Area

Jun 26, 2008
The ape in the down vest put me in mind of Back to the Future. Admittedly the similarity would have been better had it been orange. Still. Monkey McFly, perhaps? Or Marty McApe?