Jupiter Mining Corporation ship Red Dwarf

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
So I made a thread a little while ago titled "Everybody's Dead Dave" and people were disappointed it wasn't a Red Dwarf thread so I figured I would.

Well I love Red Dwarf, I found back to earth to be a bit crap but the final season they added on was quite good. I would hate for them to make another season but I would love to see another SciFi show set in the universe with the same comic styling.

So here's the question for you all.

Love or hate the idea, if it was to happen what would you like to be explored in it?

Simulants, Cat People, maybe the actual future of the human race?

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Back to Earth was far too self-aware for my liking; as for Red Dwarf X, I'm sure it was actually good but the audience laughter was a bit much to not annoy me.

I personally wouldn't want to see another, similar show; because it'd just end up measuring itself against Red Dwarf - which is kind of an anomaly in classic British sitcoms as it ran for so many series. it'd take very good writers and a completely different tone/setting.

That and we in the 21st century don't have that same nostalgia for mid C20 British sci-fi, like Blake's 7, which I don't doubt was an influence on Red Dwarf.

I want to see a mashup of Grease and Arthur C Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama. Mainly so that it can be titled 'Rendezvous with Rama-Lama-Ding-Dong'.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Red Dwarf was of its time, and had come to its natural end. As Pink Gregory said, it was based on shows like Blake's 7 and old Who. I watched the first ever episode when it was first broadcast and its was 7 seven years since Blake's 7 was shown and old Who was in its death throes. Trying to turn back the clock won't work. If you want to do another comedy sci fi show you would have to aim for other targets. The succession of grimdark US sci fi shows is just asking to be shot at.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I've heard of it, thanks to SfDebris' reviews (if you don't know who that is, look him up as soon as you can!), so I'd like to. Unfortunately, being American means it's not on Tv for me. Maybe I should get the DVDs?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Hard to say since the last season (after back to Earth) did resolved Rimmer family. I guess we should get to find out the whereabout of Lister girlfriend but I honestly don't cared for her at all. Still cat people would be an interesting idea (come on, Cat can't be the only last of them).

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
Scarim Coral said:
Hard to say since the last season (after back to Earth) did resolved Rimmer family. I guess we should get to find out the whereabout of Lister girlfriend but I honestly don't cared for her at all. Still cat people would be an interesting idea (come on, Cat can't be the only last of them).
He isn't the last one, there's an episode entirely based on this :p

One spaceship full of cat people died flying into a sun.
The other flew off into space to an unknown location using Listers washing list as star co-ordinates.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Tatsuki said:
Scarim Coral said:

The other flew off into space to an unknown location using Listers washing list as star co-ordinates.
Yeah I remember that, I thought the ones that flew into the unknown end up crashing into a field of astroids? Even then didn't they killed themselves (well most) over a petty war on what was Lister favourite colour?

Pescetarian

Jul 6, 2010
In case none of you have heard, Series XI has been confirmed, filming right around now and airing this fall.

Series X was pretty nice - I'm just a bit leery of the show taking the Futurama route, with a grand finale seemingly every six months. Mind you, all of those finales on Futurama were just great, but I don't think Doug Naylor has the same kind of writing chops to live up to that.

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
Pescetarian said:
In case none of you have heard, Series XI has been confirmed, filming right around now and airing this fall.

Series X was pretty nice - I'm just a bit leery of the show taking the Futurama route, with a grand finale seemingly every six months. Mind you, all of those finales on Futurama were just great, but I don't think Doug Naylor has the same kind of writing chops to live up to that.
Maybe not but in series X he did something I have seen no other show do well, it went back to the original formula that made the show great and managed to make a modern version the felt right with it. Most modern "coming back" shows just feel forced like back to earth did.

Honorable mention for the IT crowd final episode which didn't make a song and dance of it and just made another episode, of which I approve.

captcha: no time to explain
Even captcha is taking digs at Destiny

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Tatsuki said:
Scarim Coral said:

Yeah I remember that, I thought the ones that flew into the unknown end up crashing into a field of astroids? Even then didn't they killed themselves (well most) over a petty war on what was Lister favourite colour?
Showing my Geek here....they had a war over what colour the hats should be (Red or Blue, when they actually should have been yellow) at the fast food joint in Listers Heaven (because Lister was their god, in the books the war was Retconned into whether Listers name was Cloister or Clister). After the war they built two Arkships and left Red Dwarf both using Listers laundry list for co-ordinates...so i guess it came down to interpretation, as one Arkship flew into an Astroid field and was destroyed whereas the other just kept going...

Though how this all ended up in a Holy book supposedly written after the ships left casts a certain doubt on the veracity of the Arkships fate.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Quellist said:
Showing my Geek here....they had a war over what colour the hats should be (Red or Blue, when they actually should have been yellow).
*raises up his bigger geek glasses* Umm, excuse me. The color you're looking for is Green. (Red Dwarf series 1: Episode 4. "Waiting for God" 19 minute 10 second mark.)

I adore Red Dwarf, and just last night finally was able to see Series X. The movie was supposed to be parodying it's fame as well as Blade Runner which the writers were enamored with. I am most curious where the new season will take them, but I do hope they never give it a proper conclusion. It deserves to go out the same way it came in, good for a laugh..

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I love Red Dwarf. It was the show that got me in to classic brit-coms.

I thought Back to Earth was terrible, but season X was really good. If they are making a series XI, I kind of hope they have the decency to conclude it while the actors are still alive and game for it. Season X already gave some nice closure for Rimmer at the end, hopefully the next one does the same for Lister. I'd at least liked to know see what happened to the rest of the crew after series 8. I know bringing them back wasn't a popular decision, but I really enjoyed those episodes.

Also, I highly recommend tracking down the DVDs for the older series. There are quite a few interesting special features, but the highlight is the cast commentary, which is hilarious.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Armadox said:
Quellist said:
Showing my Geek here....they had a war over what colour the hats should be (Red or Blue, when they actually should have been yellow).
*raises up his bigger geek glasses* Umm, excuse me. The color you're looking for is Green. (Red Dwarf series 1: Episode 4. "Waiting for God" 19 minute 10 second mark.)

I adore Red Dwarf, and just last night finally was able to see Series X. The movie was supposed to be parodying it's fame as well as Blade Runner which the writers were enamored with. I am most curious where the new season will take them, but I do hope they never give it a proper conclusion. It deserves to go out the same way it came in, good for a laugh..
*Takes a bow* Your geek is stronger than mine!

I was 50/50 on green or yellow, i should have been less lazy and checked the DVD

Totally agree on no ending too. Red Dwarf really doesnt need one

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
There was a Cat episode written where he finds a cat woman on another planet. Was called Identity Within, was never filmed due to cost though it added as an extra on Series 7 dvd where its narrated by Chris Barrie. Would have been great.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identity_Within