Jussie Smollett in court again and it's getting weirder.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So quick refresh for those who don't remember.

Jussie Smollett claimed to have been the victim of a racist attack by some mask wearing MAGA people who put a noose round his neck and sprayed some liquid over him when he went out to get a late night subway sandwich.

Things fell apart somewhat in the case when CCTV showed Smollett returning to his flat looking perfectly fine and not shaken at all with investigations leading to two brothers from Nigeria whom it was alleged Smollett hired to stage a fake attack on him and it only started to fall apart when Smollett was called in to pick out his attackers in a police line up and saw the two brothers there and suddenly refused to pick anyone from the line up saying he wanted to drop all charges against the attackers.

This led to a short time in court for Smollett over claims this was a set up because at the time Smollett had been trying to re-negotiate his contract on Empire and it was suggested was using the media attention on him, the push of now being seen as an activist who was attacked and the pressure that could bring with it to push the studio into a higher paying contract deal with him. Instead as it was suggested he staged it all Smollett was let go from Empire.

The trial however was cut short and the case closed after Smollett oh so kindly said the state could keep all the bail money he'd payed and it was decided he'd help the community voluntarily for a bit.

What's new

Ex-Empire actor is accused of hiring two men to fake an attack in Chicago but new evidence could support Smollett’s defense
Defense attorney Nenye Uche said two brothers attacked Smollett in January 2019 because they didn’t like him, and that a $3,500 check the actor paid the men was for training so he could prepare for an upcoming music video, not as payment for staging a hate crime, as prosecutors allege.
So yeh apparently the brothers just happened to be there and happened to have a grudge against Smollett and did the attack because um............

Special prosecutor Dan Webb said the actor recruited the brothers to help him carry out a fake attack, then reported it to Chicago police, who classified it as a hate crime and spent 3,000 staff hours on the investigation........

“When he reported the fake hate crime that was a real crime,” said Webb.

Smollett is charged with felony disorderly conduct which carries a prison sentence of up to three years, but experts have said it is likely that if Smollett is convicted he would be placed on probation and perhaps ordered to perform community service.

Webb told jurors Smollett was unhappy about how the studio handled the letter he received. That letter included a drawing of a stick figure hanging from a tree and “Maga”, a reference to Trump’s Make America Great Again campaign slogan, Webb said.

He said Smollett then concocted the fake attack and had a “dress rehearsal” with the two brothers, who worked on the Empire set with Smollett, including telling them to shout racial and homophobic slurs and “Maga”. Smollett also told the brothers to buy ski masks, red hats and a rope, Webb told jurors.
But Uche said Smollett had turned down extra security when the studio offered it.

According to Webb, Smollett sent a text message to the brothers that said: “I want you to attack me, but when you hit me, I want you to kind of pull your punches a bit because I don’t want to get seriously hurt.”

Reactions: Leg End and gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Reactions: Leg End

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I wonder if the prosecution can implead the brothers as defendants in case Juicey's charges should be considered.

But this has all been much more serious than anyone admits. If true, as it appears, that he staged this hoax, real people could have been killed by the reaction it could have inspired. I think a likely example of just such a reaction: https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/multiple-people-killed-by-suv-in-waukesha-christmas-parade
Oh worse Smollett was all ready to press charges and positively ID the perpetrators of the attack right up until police showed in the two brothers which suggest somewhat Smollett was about to be more than happy to blame two random white dudes the police had picked up by mistake for the attack according to some reports. Dude was about to be perfectly happy causing hell for some people and turning their lives upside down for months or years just to try and create pressure to get a pay rise and potentially see people sent to jail when they were innocent.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Jussie Smollet deserves to have the book be thrown at him. If, as all the evidence seems to indicate, he faked the attack on himself, he's suffered quite a bit already (lost his job, his fame has taken a huge hit), but he deserves legal punishment as well.

I don't want to say he is, as such, but his actions are very much sociopathic in the sense that he didn't seem too concerned about how framing two innocent men would make them look, only concerned with trying to get pity/rewards for himself.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
His sentence should be that his name has to change to Juicy Smulie and he has to wear a string rope around his neck for the rest of his life.

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Jussie Smollet deserves to have the book be thrown at him. If, as all the evidence seems to indicate, he faked the attack on himself, he's suffered quite a bit already (lost his job, his fame has taken a huge hit), but he deserves legal punishment as well.

I don't want to say he is, as such, but his actions are very much sociopathic in the sense that he didn't seem too concerned about how framing two innocent men would make them look, only concerned with trying to get pity/rewards for himself.
Let's say that the book is thrown at him, what actual punishment will he receive?

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Let's say that the book is thrown at him, what actual punishment will he receive?
I think he was up for like 4 years of jail time.

I still think my punishment is more fitting for someone as narcissistic as him though.

AnxietyProne

Elite Member
Jul 13, 2021
Country
United States
Flog that piece of trash until he looks like Frank did near the beginning of Hellraiser....

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
So quick refresh for those who don't remember.

Jussie Smollett claimed to have been the victim of a racist attack by some mask wearing MAGA people who put a noose round his neck and sprayed some liquid over him when he went out to get a late night subway sandwich.

Things fell apart somewhat in the case when CCTV showed Smollett returning to his flat looking perfectly fine and not shaken at all with investigations leading to two brothers from Nigeria whom it was alleged Smollett hired to stage a fake attack on him and it only started to fall apart when Smollett was called in to pick out his attackers in a police line up and saw the two brothers there and suddenly refused to pick anyone from the line up saying he wanted to drop all charges against the attackers.

This led to a short time in court for Smollett over claims this was a set up because at the time Smollett had been trying to re-negotiate his contract on Empire and it was suggested was using the media attention on him, the push of now being seen as an activist who was attacked and the pressure that could bring with it to push the studio into a higher paying contract deal with him. Instead as it was suggested he staged it all Smollett was let go from Empire.

The trial however was cut short and the case closed after Smollett oh so kindly said the state could keep all the bail money he'd payed and it was decided he'd help the community voluntarily for a bit.

What's new

So yeh apparently the brothers just happened to be there and happened to have a grudge against Smollett and did the attack because um............

I shall allow my favourite Primarch speak on my behalf:
LOL14.PNG

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Oh man Smollett's lawyer is really trying whatever they can lol

A defense attorney called for a mistrial in the Jussie Smollett trial Thursday, after a wild few moments in which she accused the judge of lunging at her.
As CBS 2’s Charlie De Mar reported, this happened during a sidebar conversation with attorneys from both sides and Cook County Judge James Linn. Defense attorney Tamara Walker asked for a mistrial because of a comment that Judge Linn made, and then she began crying and accused Judge Linn of physically lunging at her in the courtroom.
Another attorney for Smollett also accused Judge Linn of snarling and making faces throughout the testimony.
In a series of bombshell questions, attorneys for Smollett suggested that Abel Osundairo had a secret romantic relationship with Smollett. Abel denied those claims, and he kept his composure as attorneys peppered with questions about his character.
Testimony revealed Smollett wanted to use the security video of the incident for publicity, but the actual attack was not caught on camera.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Inb4 the lawyer is bleached and called a cyunt by a couple of judge-robe wearing nigerians.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
CNN under fire again for another on air presenter's actions

Smollett testified that Lemon sent him a text warning him that police didn't believe his attack story

Smollett testified in his own defense that he had correspondence with Lemon during the early parts of the Chicago Police Department’s (CPD) investigation into his claim that he was attacked by two White men on the street wearing Make America Great Again hats.

He specifically testified that he received a text from Lemon, supposedly relaying information that the CPD didn’t believe Smollett's account of what happened.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
And he's been found guilty of 5 of the 6 counts of felony disorderly conduct. If the judge feels like playing hardball and sentencing him to the maximum sentence for each count AND orders them to be served consecutively instead of concurrently, he is facing up to 15 years in prison and/or a total of $125,000 in fines.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
And he's been found guilty of 5 of the 6 counts of felony disorderly conduct. If the judge feels like playing hardball and sentencing him to the maximum sentence for each count AND orders them to be served consecutively instead of concurrently, he is facing up to 15 years in prison and/or a total of $125,000 in fines.

Gonna be interesting how BLM LA deal with this news now considering they're claiming the Police and the brothers were lying.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Good.

Reactions: Leg End

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

They wont send him to prison though. He'll pay a fine and maybe do community service. Though his acting career is probably fucked.