"Just a prank, bro", or serious child abuse?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
You know... I know in this day and age parenting is different and new unknowns happen but with the rise of internet fame and stardom, this is just...

Just, no. As much as i dislike kids at times, this is fucked up. It also brings up bad memories of my childhood and my God if that was filmed for the world to see as i was growing up, i would have taken a real dark turn.

What's your thoughts on this? All fun and games as the family proclaims or this is beyond "fun"? When i heard "Just a prank, bro" being said by the parents, it just made me more irate.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I was about to watch the video but 14 minutes? I ain't got time for that! Sum it up, what happened?

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:
I was about to watch the video but 14 minutes? I ain't got time for that! Sum it up, what happened?
Just watch a few mins. If not, parents have a YouTube channel that does vlogs and pranks. Pranks are done on each other as a family "haha" moments. However when viewing the pranks, they seem more aggressive and mostly target one child and stops being a "pranks" and more abusive. They have had complaints, the parents response dismissed child abuse... okay just watch after 50 secs.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013

I'm going to go with "abuse" and ask who the fuck thinks this is a good idea.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
It's been a while since I was this uncomfortable watching anything.

If you push your kid to the point of him crying his eyes out in a panicked and confused frenzy... Well duh, obviously that's child abuse. These parents are fucked up monsters that seriously have a screw loose. And they're just the tip of the iceberg.
inu-kun said:
Definitely abuse, worst thing is that the abused boy will not get help unless he says something and considering the parents he's scared shitless of that.
I think it's less him being scared and more him having grown up thinking this is normal behaviour from parents. Either way that boy is scarred for life, and if he ever has kids himself he'll probably end up treating them just as horrible. Even if by some divine grace he gets taking away from his piece of shit parents and put in a loving foster home, this is going to follow him for the rest of his life.

Sometimes I forget how lucky I am that I had (and still have) nice parents.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
Parents scream and put their kids through Hell emotionally as "pranks".

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
As far as I'm concerned a parent putting a video of a child up for public view on the internet at large is child abuse no matter what the content of the video is. A private video, friends only facebook... don't have as much of a problem with that. But something just plastered on youtube... that any creepy perv on the internet could be spanking it to... I wouldn't do that to any kid, especially one I cared anything about.

I'm not a parent, but if I were I wouldn't put a picture or video of my kid anywhere online where it could be viewed by someone I couldn't find and punch if I had to.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
"Its just a joke" is not a valid defense and is bully logic.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Yeah, this ain't good for their mental well-being at all. Things like pranks are meant for well-adjusted adults, preferably with a light-hearted outlook, but kids are precisely not that. They are still taking in information about the world and shaping their view of people in their environment. Such shenanigans will affect how that occurs and how they respond to others in life. This may be passable as a one-off mistake, but not a channel devoted to it all.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
inu-kun said:
Definitely abuse, worst thing is that the abused boy will not get help unless he says something and considering the parents he's scared shitless of that.
Well, no.. There's a thing called safeguarding. Any professional who works with children now has to learn a specific procedure for dealing suspected cases of abuse, and it isn't necessary for the child in question to confirm that they are being abused.

Nowadays, it's generally understood that emotional abuse is often a sign that a child may be be at risk of other forms of abuse (or may indeed already be suffering those forms of abuse), so it is taken a lot more seriously by family services than you might think. The issue is that simply being a bad parent isn't enough to take serious action, there has to be some clear risk to the child.

There is a kind of grey area between when a parent's behaviour towards their child is not "good enough" and where it becomes actual criminal neglect. The video is pretty harrowing and I'm glad it will almost certainly be reported, but whether anything will come of that I'm not sure.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
i would say even if you just take all the things they do and put them to the side for the moment. what about that kids school life. he has multiple vids on youtube of him freaking out crying etc. the odds are they all know about it. all it takes is one of them to find out and they all will watch it. while the parents might not brag about it the kids would "my parents have a youtube channel and buy me all kinds of cool shit" that sorta thing, well maybe not the younger one but the older ones might.

that is going to be there for years. even if his parents stop doing this crap to him the vids will still exsist, the other children will still know about it and give the child hell all the way through his school life.
i would say just that alone, putting these videos up, is child abuse aside from all of the rest of it. the kid gets bullied at home and then they put it all online giving the kids at school the ammo they need to bully him when he is not at home as well.

normally if you are bullied you have an escape be that home or school this kid has got nowhere he can feel safe and that is going to fuck him up so badly

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
rodneyy said:
normally if you are bullied you have an escape be that home or school this kid has got nowhere he can feel safe and that is going to fuck him up so badly
That's about a decade out of date. Even without a rough home and lousy youtube window into his life, kids are dialed into social media in a way that home is no longer a respite from bullying.

The way they treat that kid is fucking awful. But to me, the way they talk about it after the fact is so much worse. At least be the type of abusive parent who knows what they're doing and simply doesn't care. Abusive parents who don't see they're being abusive is so much harder to deal with.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
inu-kun said:
I won't watch it ever again but in their "explanation" video that kid is just dead silent, I can get the other kids agreeing but as the one who is most abused he definitely knows something is not right.
Honestly, if I just saw the explaination video on its own with no sound I wouldn't say anything is out of the ordinary. He's basically sitting there as what looks to be a normal kid, albeit less vocal, but that can have any number of non-abusive reasons. He's not quivering in fear, he's not malnurished, he's not showing any signs of physical abuse. Maybe a bit pale and wearing odd looking glasses, but that's it.

It shows how easily kids can get used to this type of treatment and accept it as part of their daily life. They don't have the same level of reasoning as an adult or even teenager, so they figure this is simple how things are. Especially if it's their parents -- the highest level of wisedom and authority in the eyes of a young child -- that are treating them this way. This is what makes it so fucked up, and why a case of abuse is so hard to prove (unless ofcourse you post it on Youtube like a fucking retard).

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Well at least if someone decides to inform the (correct) autorithies about it they have all the material on Youtube for the case.

I have to say even if I am a bit against the whole "filming everything that happens all the time by everybody" in this day and age, the good thing that comes from it is that everything that happens is on video, which then is hard to counterargue. The things I am against in these filminginstances is
1) filming before helping i.e. someone hurts themselves and only one person helps while it would be nice to have one or two more helping hands.
and
2) people are good at manipulating videos in these days, even if it is only leaving out the 2 first minutes of a video or then actually editing videos to suit ones own agenda.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Everyone on the net is in unison... so rare. Honestly, this "Just a prank, bro" attitude needs to die a painful death. Also swearing at your kids is NOT normal. Making your kids cry for laughs is NOT normal. Recording it and posting it on YouTube to get views, likes and make money off of it is FUCKING NOT NORMAL!!! Fuck these parents!!!

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
Elijin said:
rodneyy said:
That's about a decade out of date. Even without a rough home and lousy youtube window into his life, kids are dialed into social media in a way that home is no longer a respite from bullying.
well i slept at a slight angle last night so my back is killing me and my hip always hurts in the cold weather so its put me out of sorts

while i take your point i was meaning more the people around you not so much the bullying itself.
i didnt word it very well. if you are bullied at school hopefully your parents are at least nice. you might get hounded during the day and online but at least you have a few people who you dont fear. same the other way round, you can fear home life but have friends at school you can confide in and not dread seeing.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Wintermute said:
I don't get how they have 700k subscribers.
I can think of 2 possibilities:

1) The parents have a following of avid child haters (although I despise children myself and still couldn't enjoy this video, so probably not)

2) They made a name for themselves doing other less offensive things, and as their fame and confidence grew and the viewers started getting used to their shenanigans, they upped the stakes and pulled this prank.