Just Announced: Dragon Quest Heroes is DQ Dynasty Warriors-Style

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Just Announced: Dragon Quest Heroes is DQ Dynasty Warriors-Style

Sony, Square-Enix and Omega Force reveal Dragon Quest beat-em-up

In a press conference in advance of Dynasty Warriors [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/tokyo%20game%20show] battlefield.

In what looks to be a crossover/mash-up in the same vein as Akira Toriyama [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/hyrule%20warriors] in his distinctive style) with real-time combat - a noteworthy change from the turn-based combat of most Dragon Quest titles. In additon, a special silver "Metal Slime"-branded PS4 will be released alongside the game.

Originally released in Japan in 1986 (and known for a time in the U.S. as Dragon Warrior,) the Dragon Quest series is considered one of the most popular and long-lasting Japanese game franchises. Heroes will be the Square-Enix series' first foray into Koei/Omega Force's "Musou" series, which most-popularly includes the Ancient China-set Dynasty Warriors series but has also included spin-offs involving The Hundred Years War, feudal Japan, the Gundam anime franchise and (later this year) Nintendo's Legend of Zelda [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/hyrule%20warriors] series.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
well I like what I see, looks like a pretty damn fun game, but because this is Square Enix let's all complain about how they refuse to use turn-based combat as if that was ever really what kept us playing their games in the first place...

sorry...couldn't resist, (I know, the problem is with the replacement systems being inferior) in all seriousness I'm looking forward to this, I've never had much of an occasion to get into the Dragon Quest series, but I've been wanting to for a long time,

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Oly J said:
well I like what I see, looks like a pretty damn fun game, but because this is Square Enix let's all complain about how they refuse to use turn-based combat as if that was ever really what kept us playing their games in the first place...

sorry...couldn't resist, (I know, the problem is with the replacement systems being inferior...and also that this was only one of many problems) in all seriousness I'm looking forward to this, I've never had much of an occasion to get into the Dragon Quest series, but I've been wanting to for a long time,
Edit: sorry I meant to press edit there, but hit quote instead

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Dear Goddess please let this come to western shores, it's pretty much the coolest looking thing coming to the PS4 bar Bloodborne. I'm pretty optimistic though, I mean we got Pandora's Tower, the Jojo's fighting game, and Dangan Ronpa 1&2... eventually...
OT: Yeah this is... pretty much everything I love about video games and more! Dragon Quest spin-off games usually end up being atleast very interesting if nothing else (remember that DS game where you played as a Blue Slime and fought in giant tank battles?). I know this has the potential to set a dangerous precedent for a flood of Dynasty Warrior re-skins in the neer future, but for right now this looks like just too much fun for me to care.

And honestly, as someone who's always enjoyed the Dragon Quest games way more then the Zeldas, this interests me way more then Hyrule Warriors did.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Ahahaha!

So THIS is how I end up getting a PS4.

And it'll be a Japanese PS4 as well, if the localized game doesn't come with dual audio-- or if the game and its promoPS4 don't make it west at all.

Thanks for letting me know how and roughly when I become much poorer Escapist.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Dynasty Warriors Halo, Dynasty Warriors Monster Hunter, Dynasty Warriors Uncharted, Dynasty Warriors Attack on Titan... So apparently Dynasty Warriors is the singularity of gaming.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Dynasty Warriors is practically a genre at this point, I love it Maggle.
Might be getting this.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Sleekit said:
i like dynasty warriors

i like dragon quest (avatar kind of gives that away)

but i feel uneasy at the prospect of the two mixing

not least because i also love classical tunn based RPGs and that is a big part of why i love dragon quest.

so i hope this game does not affect other future dragon quest games much :s
What works for Zelda most likely works for Dragon Quest, too.

Akiraking

Jan 7, 2012
While I like Dragon Quest I really do play it for the story and rpg elements. I have not played enough games to know enough character to benefit from this. I have played a lot of Zelda games so I am looking forward to that but I don't know if Dynasty Warriors gameplay is enough to try this. Though it does look nice so if it releases I may play it one day for fun.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Is this going to be a thing now? Instead of dynasty warriors sequels we get crossovers, because if so that?s kind of awesome.

Although I do hope that they still release dynasty warriors 8 empires in the west.

I?m curious what Jim thinks of this, especially considering how happy he was when hyrule warriors was announced.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
themilo504 said:
Is this going to be a thing now? Instead of dynasty warriors sequels we get crossovers, because if so that?s kind of awesome.

Although I do hope that they still release dynasty warriors 8 empires in the west.
My thoughts exactly on both accounts. I've always loved Dynasty Warriors both because I've always loved the Romance of the Three Kingdoms story since I first experienced it with Destiny of an Emperor on the NES, but also because some mindless hack'n'slash can actually be pretty fun and cathartic every now and then. Having a bad day? Toss in Dynasty Warriors and take it out on thousands of poor generic soldiers.

And yeah, I hope and pray every day that the bring DW8 Empires to the west. I like the Empires spin-offs even more than the core games since it adds a really fun (at least in my eyes) strategic aspect to the game. That, and I love making my own characters to plug into the game...giving them little back-stories and choosing which lord they serve under in my own personal fanon.

Another thing I'd like to see (though I doubt it'll ever happen) is a Warriors Orochi Empires. :3

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Haru17 said:
Dynasty Warriors Halo, Dynasty Warriors Monster Hunter, Dynasty Warriors Uncharted, Dynasty Warriors Attack on Titan... So apparently Dynasty Warriors is the singularity of gaming.
So it has become the new 'Angry Birds' to be cloned... Even though its been out for years...

DragonWright

May 25, 2009
Anything DW gets my interest, and the trailer did look pretty good...

...OTOH, I'm just not a big fan of DQ. I've only played IX and was very unimpressed.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
...Whelp, looks like I'm getting a PS4 (grumbles and starts digging for gold...)

Michster

Sep 16, 2009
:(

This is nice for DW fans....

But I've been waiting 8 years for a follow-up to DQ8. Stop torturing me with keep DQXI in shades Squenix! I know you have it!

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
First they turned it into an MMO, and now this?
I just want a sequel to DQ 8... Is that too much to ask?

Catcha: High horse. Maybe I am... maybe I am

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
WELP! I found ANOTHER reason to get a PS4 now... now if only I had the MONEY for it ;_;.