Just another recommend me an anime thread

SmapdyAge8

Jan 15, 2015
Scarim Coral said:
Since you want dub only and since I'm avoiding what others had comment already, let see-

Martian Successor Nadesico

Yes, yes, 1000 times yes. It starts off as an Evangelion parody, but becomes a masterpiece in it's own right. Many of the English voice actors are the same as well, most notably Spike Spencer who plays Shinji/Akito.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
I forgot to add some Vampire Hunter D. Fuck Hellsing! D would eat that guy alive. Both movies are deep and plenty of action to satisfy the action hungry. Given that I like dramas and fairly slow paced shows/movies, you wouldn't like my suggestions.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Valagetti said:
Haven't watched another of those Japanese shows in a while, cause I can't seem to find one that I like. So when you can't do a job, delegate it to someone else. Dub only. I love lots of action and character development.

The usual suspects that I love and already finished.

Death Note
Cow-Boy Bebop
Attack on Titan
Black Lagoon
Claymore
Jormungand
Samurai Champloo
Psycho-Pass
Hellsing Ultimate
Tri-Gun
Steins-Gate
Baccano

Shows that I couldn't stand, usually due to boring characters and slow pacing

GunGrave
Ghost in the Shell
Blood C
Berserk
Ergo Proxy

Fire away!
Two films for you: Royal Space Force and Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade.

The first one is a film by Studio Gainax involving an alternate earth's first manned space flight. It also stars young Bryan Cranston and is generally excellent, apart from one very questionable scene I wouldn't mind seeing cut.

Jin Roh doesn't have as good a dub, but it makes up for it with some jaw dropping animation, japanese people that actually look Japanese, a gorgeous soundtrack, and a nice criticism on Japan's struggle with changing society.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Soviet Heavy said:
Valagetti said:
Haven't watched another of those Japanese shows in a while, cause I can't seem to find one that I like. So when you can't do a job, delegate it to someone else. Dub only. I love lots of action and character development.

Death Note
Cow-Boy Bebop
Attack on Titan
Black Lagoon
Claymore
Jormungand
Samurai Champloo
Psycho-Pass
Hellsing Ultimate
Tri-Gun
Steins-Gate
Baccano

GunGrave
Ghost in the Shell
Blood C
Berserk
Ergo Proxy

Fire away!
Two films for you: Royal Space Force and Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade.

The first one is a film by Studio Gainax involving an alternate earth's first manned space flight. It also stars young Bryan Cranston and is generally excellent, apart from one very questionable scene I wouldn't mind seeing cut.

Jin Roh doesn't have as good a dub, but it makes up for it with some jaw dropping animation, japanese people that actually look Japanese, a gorgeous soundtrack, and a nice criticism on Japan's struggle with changing society.
Hey,Hey,Hey!!!! I thought Jin-Roh's dub was quite fantastic. The voice actors sounded realistic for their parts and the dub made me really appreciate the movie that much more! I've never thought about ever switching over the subs. Not even once! Just my opinion.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Code Geass- Great dub, short of the MC's little sister. The show is pretty decently paced, there are a few filler episodes, but other than that the show keeps a good pace. The second season gets a little... weird, but it isn't that bad.

Baka and Test- This may be out of your usual tastes, but the dub is fantastic and the show is funny as hell. One of the few shows I will always choose dub over sub for.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
ahhhhh shiet my type o' thread, considering all I really watch is dubbed.

-FLCL (or Fooly Cooly) (Available on Hulu)
Normal boy lives in a normal town in normal Japan. Everything is normal. That is, until a woman rides in on her vespa and decks him straight in the forehead with a bass guitar. Then this "normal" boy has strange robots grow and come out of his head. This is a 6-episode classic that everyone should watch at least one in their life. Plus, the soundtrack done by The Pillows is my favorite anime soundtrack to date. It's a bizarre one but enjoyable the whole way through.

-TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN (Gurren Lagann - Available on Netflix)
This is the show that will put hair on your chest and make you want to blow up everything in your possession just because it looks cool. Humans have been exiled underground and are forced to thrive below the surface. A kid named Simon and his bro Kamina find a tiny robot while underground, and that's when shit goes haywire. They use the robot to defeat other, larger robots in order to find out why they have been forced to live underground. An eclectic cast and bullshit action are what set this show apart from others in the mecha genre. And on another hand, the dub is by far the BEST English dub I have heard in any anime. Ever. There is no competition. None.

-Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
The most vulgar and obscene anime you will ever watch. This show excels at keeping you watching thanks to it's super unique animation style that takes influence from western cartoons like Powerpuff Girls and transformers (there's actually an entire episode that's animated to look like an episode of the 80s Transformers series). Oh yeah, and I hope your prepared for sex and the word "fuck" because there's a lot of it in this show. P&S revels in it's immaturity and that's what makes it great.

-Durarara!! (Dub available for viewing on Crunchyroll for free)
If you like Baccano!, then I have a feeling you might enjoy Durarara!!. Durarara was written by the same guy that did Baccano and follows a similar structure in the sense that not one person is the main character, but everyone is. Modern Day Tokyo is a hive for criminal activity and human scum. Our story focuses on a transfer student to Tokyo and how he and his group of friends get wrapped up in the criminal underworld of Tokyo. It's a really engrossing show and one of my personal favorites.

-Madoka Magica (Available on Netflix)
Don't be fooled by this show's initial girlyness. It will rip your heart out and stomp on it. You just have to get passed the first few episodes for shit to get real. This show starts slow but really picks up once the action starts. Just rememer: once Madoka gets rolling, there's no stopping it.

Some lesser recommendations
-Ouran High School Host Club - Flamboyantly straight teenage boys run a host club in their high school and manage to adopt a girl into working for them after she breaks a million yen vase. Hilarious show. (Netflix)
-Princess Jellyfish - Girl with a bizarre fascination with jellyfish lives in a sisterhood with a bunch of social rejects. There is also a boy who enjoys cross-dressing who tries to help these girls break out of their social shells. Another pretty funny show. (Netflix)
-Soul Eater - A great shounen series that gets way too much hate. Death Meister Academy, a school for only the most gifted collection of weapons and their meisters. It is up for both to team up and collect 99 souls and 1 witch soul to create a weapon worthy of Lord Death's approval. But all goes south when a a ragtag group of students come together to discover a dormant threat that awakens after many years of slumber. Quirky cast and great action do it justice. (Netflix)

And yeah there ya go! Hope I was of some help!

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
Valagetti said:

Death Note
Cow-Boy Bebop
Attack on Titan
Black Lagoon
Claymore
Jormungand
Samurai Champloo
Psycho-Pass
Hellsing Ultimate
Tri-Gun
Steins-Gate
Baccano

GunGrave
Ghost in the Shell
Blood C
Berserk
Ergo Proxy

Fire away!
Good dub, lots of action as well as character development?

That sounds exactly like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
Otherwise theres also stuff like Hajime no Ippo and History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, both are kind of similar being about a weak bullied kid gaining confidence and becoming awesome through boxing/martial arts and have a bunch of funny and great characters and lots of good moments.

Out of the big 3 anime the only one I can really wholeheartedly recommend is One Piece, although im pretty sure the anime is pretty slow paced, so if anything, you'd probably want to read that.

Jojos Bizarre Adventure is up there with my all time greats, however there isnt a dub for the recently released anime series, so that might turn you off

If you want something similar to Attack on Titan theres always Terra Formars, however I'd recommend reading the manga rather than watching the anime, mainly due to the animes extremely fast pace compared to the manga, and the outrageous censorship on the anime