Just Cause Dev: Losing AAA Might Not Be All That Bad

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Just Cause Dev: Losing AAA Might Not Be All That Bad

"We don't need 40 first-person shooters," says Avalanche Studios' creative director.

Things aren't looking good for AAA development. Costs are rising, studios are closing and even the most monolithic publishers seem to be acutely aware of the looming spectre of bankruptcy. While the unlikely concept of some kind of upper industry crash may seem apocalyptic to some, particularly those whose jobs are on the line, others see it as a positive, if not outright necessary, chance for the industry to evolve. Like Avalanche Studios' creative director, Stefan Ljungqvist, for example.

"I don't think big-budget games are going away. There's going to be less of them," he told Gamasutra. "But that's a good thing, because maybe we don't need forty first-person shooters. I don't want to play them all, but maybe we need one, two or three."

To be fair, Avalanche hasn't exactly been hitting the creativity drum with all its strength. Of the studio's four games, two are installments in the open-world Just Cause series, one is a free-to-play hunting game and the other is a top-down, twin-stick shooter. The studio has three games in the pipeline; One is another open-world game (which many assume to be Just Cause 3 co-developed with Square Enix. The other two are unnamed titles based on unidentified comic book and movie licenses.

"What I like now is that there are more opportunities to be creative," he continued. "Maybe over the course of the past five years, developers have pitched creative or more artistic games, but publishers had been more careful of betting a lot on those games, because they're associated with some risk. But maybe now they can [take more risks] because they need to be more unique in the marketplace."

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/189620/The_advantage_of_a_diverse_game_portfolio_according_to_Avalanche.php]

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Avalanche may not be banging the creativity drum in certain respects, true. However they need a meme picture thingy that says "We made Just Cause 2 - your game is invalid." and then to distribute it to the folks responsible for those forty first person shooters.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
With things like Steam, XBLA and PSN its weird that they dont try to make the 15$/20$ dollar game from time to time. Well... Avalanche here did one and it was a very cool one indeed. Just grab your AAA game tech and do a cheap low budget game with it.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
The best thing about an AAA industry crash would be the hundreds of millions of dollars that wouldn't be going to advertising and administrative overhead. I'm pretty sure that there is more money being spent there than on actual game development at this point.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Yeah! Third person shooters are where it's at!
josemlopes said:
With things like Steam, XBLA and PSN its weird that they dont try to make the 15$/20$ dollar game from time to time. Well... Avalanche here did one and it was a very cool one indeed. Just grab your AAA game tech and do a cheap low budget game with it.
But we need teh best graphics to stay competitive!
I know that you are kidding but that isnt even an issue here
Looks good, right?

Its the same engine they used previously with Just Cause 2.

Even the guys that did Section 8 did it right later on with Prejudice
I think they only tweaked the visuals a bit and added 3 new maps and a horde mode, the rest is all from the previous game.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"But that's a good thing, because maybe we don't need forty first-person shooters. I don't want to play them all, but maybe we need one, two or three."

It's a little naive to think that FPS are going away with the AAA industry.

DVS BSTrD said:
But we need teh best graphics to stay competitive!
How else will we justify our video cards with slightly higher numbers?

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
There are some that are expecting or wanting another game industry crash like we had in the 80's. I just don't see this happening but I honestly believe that what we're witnessing is a bubble burst for the entire industry. I hate bloated budgets and short sighted decisions made by upper management types that contribute to this. But I equally hate seeing so many developers and employees lose their jobs in an already difficult job market.

Ljungqvist has the right attitude. We really don't need so many over budgeted FPSs and AAA titles anyway. I believe smaller budgets with less publisher interference is better for creativity. I sense a coming paradigm shift, however temporary, where we will have mainly only two choices of game, a smaller developer indie type game or a super bloated AAA game from EA/Activision/Ubisoft with barely any choices in between.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
"We don't need 40 first-person shooters," says Avalanche Studios' creative director.
I for one welcome our indie game developer overlords.

Jiefu

May 24, 2010
Just Cause 2 is incredibly creative. How many other games let you tether people to compressed gas tanks, then shoot the tanks so that they fly up into the air, dragging the hapless victim with them? How many games let you do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLcQ9PWoZdA

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJfvgUnAJdU

Or ALL THE OTHER CRAZY STUFF YOU CAN DO

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
I think everyone but the corporate heads of the big publishers saw this coming some time ago. The AAA industry was completely unsustainable as a primary business model. Not only was it unsustainable for the developers to produce, it was unsustainable for the market to purchase. It would be one thing if there were only ever 1-2 triple-A titles begin released in a year. However, when you have everyone vying to release a triple-A calibre game and the market flooded with 5-10 $60+ (when you add DLC) games, it becomes an impossible situation. People just don't have the time or money for so many BIG games at that rate. Not to mention the developers trying to crank out such a large game in the same amount of time as one would do a much smaller game and do that repeatedly, one can only see the whole thing eventually running off the rails.

I agree that triple-A titles should not go away entirely; however, there needs to be a severe scaling back on the number released in a given period of time. In my opinion, there needs to be a more diversified mix of small, medium, and large games. I think this would give gamers time to recover between major release purchases and developers/publishers some income padding in case the triple-A game fails to sale in sufficient quantities to profit.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The publishers are just suits. They aren't interested in making games, only money that can keep the shareholders happy.

The people who control the industry aren't the artists anymore, and that's what needs to change. The tools and the artists will always be there, and the desire to make games isn't dependent on executives. The death of the monster publishers needs to happen.

CardinalPiggles said:
Why do we need 40 first person shooters? Just 'cause.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Nowhere Man said:
There are some that are expecting or wanting another game industry crash like we had in the 80's. I just don't see this happening but I honestly believe that what we're witnessing is a bubble burst for the entire industry. I hate bloated budgets and short sighted decisions made by upper management types that contribute to this. But I equally hate seeing so many developers and employees lose their jobs in an already difficult job market.

Ljungqvist has the right attitude. We really don't need so many over budgeted FPSs and AAA titles anyway. I believe smaller budgets with less publisher interference is better for creativity. I sense a coming paradigm shift, however temporary, where we will have mainly only two choices of game, a smaller developer indie type game or a super bloated AAA game from EA/Activision/Ubisoft with barely any choices in between.
In all honesty, I don't think the industry as a whole will crash. However, I will say that numerous parts of the AAA market are going to have to change if they don't want to fall apart and take some seriously big hits. Not all major AAA devs / publishers are rolling unsustainable business models, but some are and they will not be able to avoid a "bubble burst" as you put it if they continue to stick to their current business models (except for Madden and FIFA, do to their monopoly-like status and targeting the single biggest fanbase in the world that'll actually play video games - sports fans).

bkd69

Nov 23, 2007
What's going to happen is that the console side of the market will start having to look like the PC side of the market, due to two main factors.

First up is squeezing out used game resales, which is going to reduce launch price sales numbers to around the level that preorders are at now, plus a couple of percentage points. A lot of sales that are made at full launch price are made with the potential promise of a price offset after being traded back in. I'm guessing that the preorder/deluxe bonus goodie edition sales volume is about the right benchmark for launch price sales in a no trade-in market. After that, the initial round of price drops is going to have to happen much sooner.

The second factor is the upcoming rise of the miniconsole/media center boxes, in the guise of Gamestick, Ouya, Roku, and AppleTV, where the barrier to entry for developers is as low as it is for PC's. The consoles have gotten better about this with their download marketplaces, but really, they're just a scratch compared to what's available from the app stores and in the PC market.

As an aside, I long ago thought Sony should have chopped the screen and the controls out of the PSP 2000/3000, replaced them with an a/v cable (which they already had in place), and a wireless controller, to make a consolized version of the PSP, which already had strong streaming media support, as well as skype, and support for a camera, and they could have been an industry leader in the miniconsole/media center space.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Y'know what Avalanche, all you have to do is make Just Cause 3 with some new additions to the hookshots, perhaps something like a swinging mechanic al-la Spiderman 2, new weapons, vehicles, and if possible make it so everything in the game is destructible. That happens, you will have absolutely no problems selling the game and making a name for yourself.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Vausch said:
Y'know what Avalanche, all you have to do is make Just Cause 3 with some new additions to the hookshots, perhaps something like a swinging mechanic al-la Spiderman 2, new weapons, vehicles, and if possible make it so everything in the game is destructible. That happens, you will have absolutely no problems selling the game and making a name for yourself.
...implying they haven't already made a name for themselves. With GTA IV's fall from grace, it was neck and neck between Just Cause 2 and Saint's Row for 'king of the sandbox' title. Now that Saint's is slipping it looks like Avalanche is far and away the top of the sandbox heap.

Though I'll bet Far Cry 4 will have something to say about that if and when it arrives...