Just flew a jet in battlefield 3... omg.

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
[caps]that was the greatest thing ive doen in a video game in AGES! [/caps]
Wow, just wow. Hoping into the jet and flying around in BF3 multiplay was just epic.
I advise you try it.

Anyone else enjoy that first experience?

Dumbfish1

Oct 17, 2008
Errr... for capital letters you just press the 'Caps Lock' key. SEE? IT'S EASY!

OT. It only came out yesterday here in England, not picked it up yet.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Dumbfish1 said:

OT. It only came out yesterday here in England, not picked it up yet.
Think that might have been his way of being enthusiastic without 'yelling' at everyone ;).

OT: Glad they nailed the experience. I haven't played it myself, might rent the game, but I'm not much of an online person. Ever played Freespace 2? That is the feeling I ha dafter the first dog fighting level in the nebula. That is the level that sold me on Freespace 2, and why it is still on my Hard Drive to this day.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I hate it, and the choppers too. I thought the jets and gunships in BF2 fly easier and far more smoothly.

But like with everything else, practice should help.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
I liked it, but they're hard to control. would've been nice if I could practice somewhere without screwing over my score. If only they had a mode where you can play by yourself, then I could practice flying a jet without the pressure of knowing that if someone else was controlling it, we'd get far more points. but ah well, me and my daydreams...

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
Vanguard_Ex said:
How is it compared to what it was like in BF2? If you played BF2, that is.
Didn't play BF2. This is actually my first battlefield game. Ive been missing out!

Also wondering; am i the only person that sucks with the chopper. Im either face-first into the ground or face-first into the chopper i ditched in hopes of saving myself before i go face-first into the ground.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
saucecode said:
[caps]that was the greatest thing ive doen in a video game in AGES! [/caps]
Wow, just wow. Hoping into the jet and flying around in BF3 multiplay was just epic.
I advise you try it.

Anyone else enjoy that first experience?
I'm glad to see the jets are still fun...I have more hours racked up in the jets from BF2 than I do actual flight hours in real life being a private pilot. Despite wanting to wait until I've finished Skyrim before getting anything else, I think I'm going to break down and buy this and Ace Combat later today.

Toasty Virus

Somehow I Returned?
Dec 2, 2009
saucecode said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Didn't play BF2. This is actually my first battlefield game. Ive been missing out!

Also wondering; am i the only person that sucks with the chopper. Im either face-first into the ground or face-first into the chopper i ditched in hopes of saving myself before i go face-first into the ground.
Nah, I've been playing battlefield games since the start and I still can't fly helicopters :/

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Dumbfish1 said:
And don't forget to press the Caps Lock key again once you are down.

Vitally important that.

On a related note, does anyone else think it's a bad idea for games to use that key? Keep forgetting until I type something later...and on my current computer, Assault Trooper doesn't have you throw a grenade when you you press Caps, it has you throw grenades when Caps is on...not the same thing, and makes the game very hard to play.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Toasty Virus said:
Nah, I've been playing battlefield games since the start and I still can't fly helicopters :/
...Were you using a gamepad/joystick or where you trying to fly with the mouse and keyboard, because if it's the later you will NEVER get good with them. I buried the nose into the ground the first few times I took Cobra up in BF2 but picked it up within half an hour.

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
Aye, it's good fun.
I'm a little irritated that you have to unlock missiles though. You can do very little without them, and you get owned by people who already have them, and they take 3 kills to unlock, which may not sound like much, but it took me the past 2 hours to do so.

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Whenever i fly the jets, i spend about 5 seconds in the air then about 20 seconds staring at my own dog tags while it says bad luck

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
saucecode said:
I don't suppose you're an xbox/ps3 player, and are trying to use the left analog stick to control it?
I was doing this for ages xD you actually use the right stick, I found it quite easy once I worked that out

Atlas13

Jan 4, 2011
mikey7339 said:
Toasty Virus said:
...Were you using a gamepad/joystick or where you trying to fly with the mouse and keyboard, because if it's the later you will NEVER get good with them. I buried the nose into the ground the first few times I took Cobra up in BF2 but picked it up within half an hour.
Wanna know the trick to flying with the mouse and keyboard? Use the WSAD and the arrow keys instead of the mouse. The arrow keys provide a lot of stability.

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
saucecode said:
Vanguard_Ex said:

Not at all. I didn't learn how to fly it until I went into the co-op mission where you fly one.
A little hint? If you have the defualt controls on, the right thumb stick tilts the chopper and it will stay at that tilt until corrected. The left thumb stick turns the chopper. Also, be sure to feather the right trigger (the button that elevates you) otherwise, you will drop to the ground like a rock.

OT: Yes, flying the jet was a blast, but it wasn't really an effective battle tool.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
I find the jets in BF3 are actually easier to fly with a keyboard than a joystick.
I still can't get anywhere with the choppers as the stingers take me out. I need kills to get flares to stop stingers but I can't get kills because of the stingers because I don't have flares. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH. I also suck as a gunner. Can't hit anything.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
mikey7339 said:
Toasty Virus said:
I dunno, I got pretty epic flying gunships in BF 2142, and I used a mouse and keyboard. Helicopters in BF 3 still kicked my ass though. Maybe those gunships just had easier controls.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Jets are like literally the only reason I would have for trying out Battlefield 3. I'm glad it might be worth it if I end up getting it in the end.