Just flew a jet in battlefield 3... omg.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
mikey7339 said:
Toasty Virus said:
Nah, I've been playing battlefield games since the start and I still can't fly helicopters :/
...Were you using a gamepad/joystick or where you trying to fly with the mouse and keyboard, because if it's the later you will NEVER get good with them. I buried the nose into the ground the first few times I took Cobra up in BF2 but picked it up within half an hour.
Not true. For jets, maybe, but for choppers certainly not. I consider myself to be a good chopper pilot, and I use the keyboard and mouse for it, sure, you can't set throttle, but there's ways around that. Jets however, I have to use a joystick for

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
the jets are very fun to fly. i was happy to learn that they had the same controls as the planes in BF1943 (on the 360) and i havent managed to crash into the ground, yet.

but as fun as they are, i am managing to fly around for 25 minutes or so and only get 2 or 3 kills in that amount of time. NOBODY SPOTS THE ENEMIES.

seriously, folks. just press the button when you see a tank, helicopter, or another jet. it gives the pilots on your team the chance to try and take them out. otherwise, they have no idea where the enemy vehicles are. the jets are just so damned fast.

its not so bad on Kharg Island, though. its a lot easier to see the enemy vehicles on that map. im hoping Wake Island will also be a good jet map.

one other thing that sucks about flying jets or helicopters is the fact that engineers all get like 4 freaking missiles. 2 is enough.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
I use a mouse and keyboard and that makes it very hard to fly any vehicle in battlefield. What helps me is hooking up a controller to my pc, makes a world of difference. On ground I still use the mouse and keyboard to.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Psh, jets are boring. Helicopters are where it's at.

Oh, and OP? You want to use (h1)(/h1).

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
mikey7339 said:
Toasty Virus said:
Nah, I've been playing battlefield games since the start and I still can't fly helicopters :/
...Were you using a gamepad/joystick or where you trying to fly with the mouse and keyboard, because if it's the later you will NEVER get good with them. I buried the nose into the ground the first few times I took Cobra up in BF2 but picked it up within half an hour.
It's spelt latter and I can fly them fine with Keyboard and Mouse, the games were originally PC games so they're naturally designed to work with those controls. I was good with planes on Vietnam, but awful with them in Battlefield 2.

Not letting you fly the jet, or at least choose to, on the single player campaign is stupid as hell. If you want to learn to fly, you better find an empty server and suck up the awful K/D ratio that comes with it.

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
I got a lot of practice flying choppers from Bad Company 2. It's a little different, but the skills still transfer.

I'm still useless at jets, though. Like any good Battlefield player, everytime I get in one, I immediately crash it.

I did keep one in the air for a few minutes, but I was so far above the ground, there was nothing for me to do. And then I crashed into a big radio tower, or something...

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Pff, its a good game and all but...
Nothing compares to WARHAWK in the multiplayer vehicles department.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I love flying the jets. It is so crazy. Also now I think I just need to get in one and scream Danger Zone for a bit.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
I flew an A-10 Warthog earlier.
The take off...
Seriously awesome flying them.
Yes, it was totally get without missiles, but it was still awesome and surprisingly easy to get the hang of controlling, compared to the helicopters of BFBC2 infamy....
Unfortunately I had to quit mid-game, just as I had figured out how to pilot it properly and was preparing to engage the enemy jet.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Mrhappyface 2 said:
Mozza444 said:
Loved the way you could transition between hover and flight. BTW dropships were epic.
EVERYTHING was epic!
Such a good well balanced game for the variety of vehicles and such, id love to see a second one.

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
It was definitely an experience for me.

But that was because I couldn't turn properly and I just barrel rolled into the sky.

Wheeeeeee!

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
I LOVE the jets in BF3, holy crap. Just taking off is so immersive and cool, then as you fly around you can hear all the details, like your character breathing, the roar of the afterburners... So much fun. The whole game is freakin awesome, just because of the large range of play-styles.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
saucecode said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
How is it compared to what it was like in BF2? If you played BF2, that is.
Didn't play BF2. This is actually my first battlefield game. Ive been missing out!

Also wondering; am i the only person that sucks with the chopper. Im either face-first into the ground or face-first into the chopper i ditched in hopes of saving myself before i go face-first into the ground.
No, air combat has been going downhill since Bad Company, they've made helicopters and jets less lethal and given them less room to manouver since BF2.

Still fun but just a shadow of it's former self (well they are a lot more fun to fly just waaaay less useful).

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Techno Squidgy said:
I find the jets in BF3 are actually easier to fly with a keyboard than a joystick.
I still can't get anywhere with the choppers as the stingers take me out. I need kills to get flares to stop stingers but I can't get kills because of the stingers because I don't have flares. AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH. I also suck as a gunner. Can't hit anything.
This is pretty much my experiance with the aircraft of BF3.
In BF2 i was a pretty good pilot but so far in BF3 ive been pretty hopeless, especially in the jets. As far as i can tell you need to get kills to unlock the flares, and then more kills to unlock the missiles... but getting any kills with the guns has been pretty futile so far.

But flying around in the jets is insanely badass so hopefully i'll stop sucking at it soon.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Mrhappyface 2 said:
Mozza444 said:
Mrhappyface 2 said:
Mozza444 said:
Loved the way you could transition between hover and flight. BTW dropships were epic.
EVERYTHING was epic!
Such a good well balanced game for the variety of vehicles and such, id love to see a second one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hSAes_IRTY
i gotta admit, that looks bad ass, *already wants to drop a building on some one* XD

Desaari

Feb 24, 2009
miketehmage said:
Not true. For jets, maybe, but for choppers certainly not. I consider myself to be a good chopper pilot, and I use the keyboard and mouse for it, sure, you can't set throttle, but there's ways around that. Jets however, I have to use a joystick for
QFT. I use keyboard and mouse for flying jets and helos in PR:BF2 just fine.

Here's a video of me doing a hangar take off with an F-16 using keyboard and mouse, while my friend records from his MH-6:

[http://www.xfire.com/video/246ed7/]

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
Mrhappyface 2 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hSAes_IRTY
Well it looks like this sequel/spin-off could really show the big boys how its done (Eg,COD,BF)
No doubt there is a hell of a lot of new stuff getting thrown into there, just hope its not too much so that it doesn't feel like warhawk anymore.