Just getting into PC gaming

LaBlallin

Nov 30, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The Orange Box. Get it.

Honestly, it's got one of the best selection of differing games, all of them AAA on their own, and will show you some of the sights the PC has to offer.

After that, follow everyone else's ideas. :)

And welcome. :)
Yeah I've had the orange box for console since 2008 so I'm well aware of it's worth thanks
How much is it on steam now?

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
LaBlallin said:
Moonpooman said:
LaBlallin said:
Yeah I was also thinking about picking oblivion back up
Are the mods worth the re-purchase?
Definitely, I have mods that add over 2000 new enemies, redesign all the cities, changing the leveling system, improving textures, improving weather, adding a bunch of new quests, new items, new lands, new spells, bugfixes, a script extender, new character features, clocks, and so on.

Oh, and get the GOTY version for the official DLC.
I love you
I should also mention that it took me about two weeks to get it all to work together. You should probably start light when it comes to modding oblivion. If you need help or advice on good mods, you can just PM me.

Antonidious

Nov 29, 2010
LaBlallin said:
Antonidious said:
For a good PC shooter I'd recommend Battlefield: Bad Company 2, especially if it's a new computer with lots of power. RPG wise can't go wrong with Fallout or Oblivion. Borderlands is also quite good.
Yeah I tried BF:BC2 On console and people were just uncommunicative idiots
No fun, resulted in many many losses
Is it better on PC?
Not always, if you just join random games you'll probably have the same effect. However on PC it's much easier to find a server where people that you like play often (or multiple servers) and simply play there most of the time. Lots of servers use Ventrilo or TeamSpeak servers so they can communicate and since a lot of the time the same people play there you get to know them well. I guess basically what I'm trying to say here is if you decide to play on PC find a good clan of people you like and join it.

Bribase

Nov 30, 2010
Fallout 1&2

S.T.A.L.K.E.R upgraded to complete mod of course

The longest journey

Deus Ex

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
LaBlallin said:
SakSak said:
LaBlallin said:
To be honest I'm into almost anything of good quality
Shooters, RPG's, Typing tutors
Whatever is genuinely good
First off: Welcome to the Escapist forums. we now own your soul Prepare to be hooked on the community.

Second: First off, I'd recommend a few RTSs. Civilization V, if you care more about empire management and leisurly strategy. Red Alert, Supreme Commander (the first one) and the likes if you prefer fast-paced action.

Sword Of The Stars and Sins Of A Solar Empire, slow and fast respectively, for space-setting.

FPSs: Painkiller. No plot, just plain blood-splattering fun. Team Fortress 2 if you prefer multiplayer only. The recent Black Ops might not be a bad choice - I hear the single player campaing is actually decent for once.

RPGs: Dragon Age is classical - and cliche. With several books worth of dialogue. But it has functional combat, somewhat interesting NPCs and the plot isn't insane so it might do the trick. Mass Effect 1&2, Fallout:New Vegas are also pretty good ones, combining FPS with RPGs - Tohugh the original Deus Ex still takes the cake on this category, despite being a decade old with graphics that look like it. It is made of win mainly due to the multitude of variable approaches to any single problem - You can even complete the game as full pacifist (without killing anyone). Speaking of older RPGs, Black Isle stuff - Planescape: Torment has the best writing ever and Baldur's Gate saga is bloody awesome as well, and retain freshness and playability via good modding communities.

Then there are the smaller games - Plants v Zombies kills a few hours easily, Minecraft works for some and if you can handle the insane difficulty curve, Dwarf Fortress.
I've always been interested in Deus Ex so Ill give it a look and the way you described Civilization it sounds like my cup of tea.
That post was of win. The only other game I'd add to that would be Borderlands as others mentioned. It's kinda shallow, but what it lacks in depth is made up for fully with pure fun.

Also another nod to Supreme Commander if you want a good RTS. There is also the standalone expansion Forged Alliance which is like 3x better if you are playing multiplayer/skirmish, but only 1/3rd as good if you are playing the single player campaign.

I said it before, but I'll say it again since you expressed interest in Oblivion between posts. Morrowind (Oblivion's prequel) is fucking awesome.

Feb 13, 2008
LaBlallin said:
The Orange Box. Get it.

Honestly, it's got one of the best selection of differing games, all of them AAA on their own, and will show you some of the sights the PC has to offer.

Yeah I've had the orange box for console since 2008 so I'm well aware of it's worth thanks
Oh, £16.99, but it's not the same. Try playing any game for more than a minute and see if you don't go "Wow..."

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Well shooters you've got Bioshock (good story), Call of Duty: Black Ops, Half Life series, Team Fortress 2 (good multiplayer), If your into mutaint/zombie killing then Killing Floor is also a good game.

Misc', Minecraft you buy from www.minecraft.net as it's not on steam yet (I think), and one I find highly humerous is Sam&Max The Devil's Playhouse. Very funny and if you watched it in the 90's like I did its a good Nostalga.

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
LaBlallin said:
The Orange Box. Get it.

It was just on sale for 7.50, but now its back to normal price of 29.99.
I bought it at Best Buy for 19.99. So shop around.

Swarley

Apr 5, 2010
Buy the Orange Box.
HL2 + Ep 1+2
TF2
Portal

Others:
L4D and/or L4D2
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl (Highly recommend, it's fallout 3, but way better.)
Alien Swarm (It's free)
Killing Floor

All shooters, most multiplayer focused.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Bad timing, Steam had some bitchin sales for 5 days straight, just ended today.

RocksW

Feb 26, 2010
If youre getting steam get Gmod (or Garrys mod, its proper title) for 10 euros. 'Mod' in the title is decieving, its a full stand alone game that allows you to dick around with the source engine physics. I booted it up yesterday and played a map set in a giant sized bedroom. What I did was I dropped 200 fast zombies onto a giant trainset and set a mob of them chasing me, me all the while spamming smg bullets, grenades, rockets, anything trying not to be torn to pieces. (I was also playing 'iron man' by black sabbath in the background while I was doing this xD)

That was just me, though you can do anything you want. here is a bathtub car, for example:

Also please refer to this video, its what made me buy it!:

If you like minecraft you'll like this!

LaBlallin

Nov 30, 2010
Swollen Goat said:
Great recommendations in this thread. I'll throw in some I haven't seen. Civilization is a great turn-based strategy game where you build up your 'tribe' from the beginning of time to the modern era. The series is up to number five now, and I play the heck out of it. Also, if you like reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally in-depth strategy games-check out Paradox Games. They cover pretty much every era of history there is. I personally enjoy Crusader Kings (medieval era) and Hearts of Iron (World War 2), and have heard great things about Europa Universalis (about 1500-1800, I think?) and Victoria (industrial revolution basically).
Good deal man
I was thinking about getting a civilization title
Which one would be the best, I assume the fifth but games are sometimes better in their earlier incarnations

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
LaBlallin said:
To be honest I'm into almost anything of good quality
Shooters, RPG's, Typing tutors
Whatever is genuinely good
-Doom, Doom 2, Quake series, Serious Sam series (I suggest you the HD remakes, though) and CoD1 and 2 (also, United Offensive expansion pack)

-Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe, Mass Effect 1+2, Fallout 1+2

-Typing of the Dead and IM Meen, nuff said

good luck, bro

also, welcome to the escapist

edit: Doom, Doom 2, Quake 1, IM Meen and Typing of the Dead have already been released Abandonware, therefore, there's no legal implications in downloading them (as far as I know, I may be wrong)

I'd say Fallout too, but I think those are still being sold

ALSO: Atomic Bomberman and Abuse, that's all you need right there

(you have already been told Bioshock, so I'll just say Bioshock 2 is a worthy suggestion =P)

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
LaBlallin said:
I'm going to be dumb and get minecraft too.
I don't understand this quote...So I'll rephrase it.

LaBlallin said:
I'm going to make the best decision of my life and get minecraft too.
Better. And besides that I think you got the right thing going down with getting valve games.

Besides minecraft, and that other...stuff, I suggest TF2, Amnesia Dark Descent, and I guess global agenda if you like that sort of thing.