Just got back from watching Them Amazing Spider-Man 2

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
It's a pretty good movie I guess but I felt it was overshadowed by a lot of really stupid segments. I mean really stupid segments.

Also Peter upgraded from using Bing to using Google.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
LobsterFeng said:
It's a pretty good movie I guess but I felt it was overshadowed by a lot of really stupid segments. I mean really stupid segments.
That's typically a sign a film has fallen flat on its fucking face.

I might be irked to watch it when it's free on a Roku app or when it's on Showtime or HBO. So long as it doesn't try and do anything as painfully long, drawn-out, unfunny and excruciatingly out of place as the sequence where Peter Parker Edward Cullen tries to tell Cop Dad about the Schlock Monster, or anything as asinine as when it went "Full Crane".

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
Eh, I think the good parts in this film overcome the bad parts.

It really does suck that the main purpose of this film seems to be just setting up another hypothetical future sequel that the filmmakers seem much more interested in.

Still everyone involved in this film, the director and the actors did seem to be giving their all to make the movie as enjoyable and interesting as they could. Even if it is just a "shameless cash in" it seems no one told them...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm still spiteful because of the villains. Somebody should sue Sony for the shameless advertisement of the rhino mecha, which appears for a total of 1 minute of this 2 hour plus dreck. I thought Electro had the stupidest origin story, followed by the stupidest reason to fight Spider-Man, and that he had very little presence and screen time in the movie that was supposed to be his big introduction.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I saw this last week, what a load of shit this film is. I went wanting a brain dead action flick, I never saw the first film but I thought "I know Spiderman, he does whatever a spider can plus bad guys to fight, should be a good way to kill a couple of hours." For a film about Spiderman, the film features very little Spidermaning.

My main complaint is that this film is boring, there is a little action to begin with, a little in the middle and a bit at the end. The rest of the hour and a half of this of this film is people talking and the difficult love life of Spiderman, it was like Twilight for comic book fans.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Catfood220 said:
My main complaint is that this film is boring, there is a little action to begin with, a little in the middle and a bit at the end. The rest of the hour and a half of this of this film is people talking and the difficult love life of Spiderman, it was like Twilight for comic book fans.
I lost track of how many times they broke up and got back together halfway down the movie.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Catfood220 said:
I lost track of how many times they broke up and got back together halfway down the movie.
It's pretty simple actually - first they were together, then they broke up, then they got back together. It's not like he was just moping around for the middle act; he was down about Gwen but at least he was still doing stuff. Investigating what happened to his parents, figuring out Harrys dilemma, dealing with Electro that one time... yeah I'll give you that; Electro should've had a lot more screen-time.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Auron225 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Catfood220 said:
It's pretty simple actually - first they were together, then they broke up, then they got back together. It's not like he was just moping around for the middle act; he was down about Gwen but at least he was still doing stuff. Investigating what happened to his parents, figuring out Harrys dilemma, dealing with Electro that one time... yeah I'll give you that; Electro should've had a lot more screen-time.
1) They start out together.
2) He breaks up with her.
3) She calls him so they can "still be friends".
4) He wants her back, kinda, around the interview.
5) They start working towards getting back together, kinda, arounding the broom closet part.
6) They break up, kinda, when she tells him she's going away anyway.
7) She decides to stay and be together.

Maybe the relationship status doesn't officially change more than a few times, but they certainly spend a lot of time trying to figure out what they want from each other.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Auron225 said:
snippity snip snip
5) They start working towards getting back together, kinda, arounding the broom closet part.

Maybe the relationship status doesn't officially change more than a few times, but they certainly spend a lot of time trying to figure out what they want from each other.
2) Actually she breaks up with him ;D

(3) -> (6), as you said, isn't really any official change, just them figuring out what to do. I personally thought their relationship was one the highlights of the film; they have great chemistry (since they're actually going out in real life) and they delivered their roles well, Emma Stone in particular.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
I honestly really loved this film. I think it's one of the best adaptations so far. Yes there were stupid bits and I didn't like how much of a stereotypical nerd they made Electro, or the chimney joke, but overall I just loved it. Came out, well not happy (for reasons), but I was ... Happy (couldn't think of another description)

Massive Spider-Man fan and I think Garfield for the joking right.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm still spiteful because of the villains. Somebody should sue Sony for the shameless advertisement of the rhino mecha, which appears for a total of 1 minute of this 2 hour plus dreck. I thought Electro had the stupidest origin story, followed by the stupidest reason to fight Spider-Man, and that he had very little presence and screen time in the movie that was supposed to be his big introduction.
I'm not going to pretend I read Spider-Man comics, but I do watch a lot of cartoons like The Spectacular Spider-Man and in that Electro gets his powers by falling into a tub with electric eels as well. I think that's like his original origin story or something. I agree with you, though.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Auron225 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Auron225 said:
snippity snip snip

2) Actually she breaks up with him ;D

(3) -> (6), as you said, isn't really any official change, just them figuring out what to do. I personally thought their relationship was one the highlights of the film; they have great chemistry (since they're actually going out in real life) and they delivered their roles well, Emma Stone in particular.
I think 2) is one of those pesky cases where the other person kind of forces the other person's hand. Peter was looking for a good excuse to not date Gwen anymore and she gave her one.

I think the actors have very good chemistry and Emma is always adorable to look, but I also feel the movie wasted too much time looming over their relationship and where was it heading. Same deal with Peter's dad, the plot looms over his Mysterious Past constantly but it all seems like filler.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
LobsterFeng said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm not going to pretend I read Spider-Man comics, but I do watch a lot of cartoons like The Spectacular Spider-Man and in that Electro gets his powers by falling into a tub with electric eels as well. I think that's like his original origin story or something. I agree with you, though.
I think that they could've built the accident scene with way more verosimilitude. They should've explained or at least shown the aquarium filled with electric eels earlier. What are they doing with those eels, why are they there? I also got the feeling - reinforced by the board of director's awkward mention of "the giant lizard incident" and later on by Goblin's intro - that Oscorp is this bumbling, Umbrella Inc. kind of corporation that doesn't actually make anything except avow mutant-inducing outbreaks with catchy themes every couple of months. Seems like you can't have a single (pretty fucking ridiculous) workplace accident without spawning a super villain. That guy Peter spilled coffee on? Bet you $10 he comes back in the third movie as The Coffeinator or something.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I think 2) is one of those pesky cases where the other person kind of forces the other person's hand. Peter was looking for a good excuse to not date Gwen anymore and she gave her one.

I think the actors have very good chemistry and Emma is always adorable to look, but I also feel the movie wasted too much time looming over their relationship and where was it heading. Same deal with Peter's dad, the plot looms over his Mysterious Past constantly but it all seems like filler.
Fair point. I think they were trying too hard to world-build and set-up stuff for sequels rather than making stuff happen in this one. It's also probable that...

Gwens death was the intended major plot point of the film and they wanted people to get as attached to her as possible to increase the effect it would have on people. Thus they included her as much as possible. In a sense it worked... I'd never read the comics and her death kinda took me by surprise. I was gutted :(

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm still spiteful because of the villains. Somebody should sue Sony for the shameless advertisement of the rhino mecha, which appears for a total of 1 minute of this 2 hour plus dreck.
I know what you mean. I'd expected and hoped for way more of him. Especially since he was the best villain by far in the movie.

Also, LobsterFeng? Thanks for remembering the hyphen in "Spider-Man."

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I haven't seen it and honestly don't plan on watching it. I do want to comment though on how paradoxical it is that Spider-Man's costume is (or seems to be) comic-perfect. Whereas none of the villains in either movie look like their comic counterparts. Granted, all Lizard was missing was a lab-coat and Electro was...I think meant to emulate the MTV version of Electro? Possible? Goblin looks like Oscar the Grouch cosplaying. It's kind of a nit-picky thing to get annoyed about I know but why bother making Spider-Man look perfect when you're just going to re-work his rouges?