Just got banned from a TF2 server...

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Edit: Thanks so much for being nice, guys. I came out of this with a few things learned, a stronger resolve to get good enough to really enjoy this game and about ten more friends on Steam and here. You're really wonderful.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
(Before Reading)
Ok, what did you do?

(After Reading)
...Those BASTARDS. Don't give up on it! IT'S PERFECT!

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I don't hate you :D (Bad servers shouldn't reflect on the entire game.)

It's been pretty hospitable for me over 2 years. How long ago did you buy it?

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I was driven away by my lack of PC shooter skills. I'm just outright terrible playing them on the PC and it makes me sad.

It seems like you ran into a group of unkind people, keep trying, there are nice people still playing that game I swear.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I'm not really sure what you got kicked for (*has never played it*), but I've always heard it's a very closed community that hates people not already a part of it.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
What server were you on? Also, press "." to select a team (and pick Blu! Those Reds will steal your Sandvich!)

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
TF2 is free now so i'm not sure how you spent 20 dollars on it... But, it just sounds like you hit a server where they're a little tired of F2P noobs and it got taken out on you. The games fun, really.

Honestly though, it has all kinds of way to learn how to play- tutortials, practice, offline v bot practice, a coaching mode, and a new user forum a of which you can access in game from the main menu.

I'm not sure why your having problems.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
TsunamiWombat said:
TF2 is free now so i'm not sure how you spent 20 dollars on it... But, it just sounds like you hit a server where they're a little tired of F2P noobs and it got taken out on you. The games fun, really.

Honestly though, it has all kinds of way to learn how to play- tutortials, practice, offline v bot practice, a coaching mode...
-I bought it last year while it still cost money.
-Apparently, it was a 'noob-friendly' server, so I'd assume F2P falls in there as well.
-Some people only have fun when they're winning, myself included.
-The tutorial hardly says anything that'll help against humans.
-Practice mode only gives you Gravelpit and three King of the Hill maps.
-If you ask for coaching, it'll pull in someone from outside, and they'll either say 'no' or the server you're in will be full.

Sgt_Jakeman214

Jul 19, 2010
For reference, try getting into the DotA community, or any of its clones. No one will help you learn the ropes, teh AI is worthless and by the time you figure out how to play, the metagame and way to play has changed.

Roll with it and try to find a local server, with local people, they're usually nicer. Public games are just scum of the earth looking for n00bs to take out and make their k/d ratio higher. assholes.

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
leet_x1337 said:
I sucked at it, everyone online hates me, I spent more time alive than dead, all the advice I received was both painfully obvious and completely useless...Fuck this game.
That sounds like you were doing alright, so I think you mean the reverse. :p

I liked playing TF2 back when I got it (a year or two ago, halloween sale wooo), but the fun has died out after having realized I am really bad at FPSs, specifically multiplayer.

200+ hours clocked anyway. A lot of fun, with good friends/pub servers.

Coller

Oct 4, 2010
It really depends on the people you play with methinks. I've played it since it went free, and only encountered a handfull of people who were deuchbags. It might depend on servers you play in, usually clan servers and such are the more closed in ones.

P.S. I wouldn't mind helping out with getting a grasp of the game, for what it's worth, i've only played the game for 100 hours so far, but i concider myself fairly decent. My steam name is in my profile :p

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Not sure what to tell you, I've never had problems with the servers I've been on and I'm a horrible player. You probably just ran into some elitist ass wipes every game has them, and your not alone in your hatred towards them.

Maybe try an easier class for a while Heavy, Pyro, and Medic are good ones to start out with.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
The Great JT said:
This is relevant:

[img snip]
Well, that kinda helps...BUT I HAVE NO FRIENDS WHO ARE EVER ON AT THE SAME TIME AS ME!!!!!!

I gave it 13 hours to 'get better'. It didn't. What a waste of money!

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
F2Pers have become huge scapegoats in the TF2 community.

They probably thought you were one and acted like dicks.

Helscreama

Nov 29, 2009
Nope I'm with leet on this one... fuck TF2

I bought it, I played it, I hated it, I uninstalled it, forgot why I hated it, played it, uninstalled it..

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
leet_x1337 said:
-Some people only have fun when they're winning, myself included.
Ahhhhh, there's your problem. See, in PvP styles of games, you will more often lose than win. I am not trying at all to be rude, but just understand that if winning is so important, then perhaps you are better off with another game

I haven't really played it, but I've been meaning to.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
leet_x1337 said:
...for asking for help changing teams from 'spectator' to 'actually playing'. Then I got muted, then insulted by someone who must have seen that I couldn't defend myself. And then I was kicked.

You know what? Team Fortress 2 has given me more grief than any other game in existence. Why did I spend 20 dollars on it? It was stupid while it lasted. I sucked at it, everyone online hates me, I spent more time dead than alive, all the advice I received was both painfully obvious and completely useless...Fuck this game.
Yeah...I just want to say I'm sorry for all of the grieving douchebags that inhabit a good portion of the TF2 servers. As awesome as the game itself is, the community can be pretty rotten at times. And the problem is right now a lot of them are pissed about the Free to Play thing. They assumed that because you are new you must be F2P, and so they did their very best to feel inadequate in an effort to help them cope with the change.

See, a lot of them think that the F2P thing will dilute the game with a bunch of idiotic trolls who will refuse to play the game seriously. But really, as far as I can tell, the new players have been typical new players in that they make a lot of mistakes, but otherwise they are fairly agreeable. It's the community that's become bitter, stupid, and unfriendly.

I recommend you just go server hopping. Try out a bunch of different servers and find the ones with good people--don't worry, there are some out there. Then favorite those good servers and join their clans or groups. Not only will that show you are wanting to actually play and not troll, but you'll also gain the protection of the more experienced members of the group. If someone starts bothering you, the server admins can gag or even ban them.

So, as the others have said, just hang in there. It gets better. I experienced the same thing when I first started, and I still get it even now because I'm one of the few females that play and I openly use my mic. That sort of crap just comes with the territory though, and I understand that. There are plenty of good servers out there. Just find them and be happy :3 Oh, and if you want to do a bit of research, I recommend two things. First, I recommend you get your bearings in the game while playing medic. It's very simple, a team can never have too many medics, and you'll get a chance to watch other classes in action and absorb their roles and basic strategies.

Second, I recommend visiting The TF2 Wiki [http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Main_Page] for any specific problems you have. They have a lot of information on all of the classes and good strategies for them, and detailed information about all of the weapons and equipment.

So just go out there and have fun :3 It's about the best online FPS out there...it's just got a very poor community.