Just got Dwarf Fortress and...is this right?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ok, I downloaded the Mac for Dwarf Fortress, and I think there's something wrong with it. Seriously is it supposed to be this small?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=593774923966985&set=a.570078423003302.128197.100000034479353&type=1&theater

Some help please?

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Don't know about Mac, but on PC you can resize the window at will by just clicking and dragging.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Madman said:
Don't know about Mac, but on PC you can resize the window at will by just clicking and dragging.
Yeah, I can stretch the window it's in, but not the game itself. It's really weird.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Everything should resize to fit the screen. Have you tried just going to the main menu and back again? Also are you using any graphics packs or is it just the default Dwarf Fortress?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Madman said:
Everything should resize to fit the screen. Have you tried just going to the main menu and back again? Also are you using any graphics packs or is it just the default Dwarf Fortress?
I've rebooting the game multiple times. I'm just using what I downloaded from the website front page.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Well that's odd then. I did a quick google search and came up with this but according to the bug report it was a resolved issue. Are you using the newest Dwarf Fortress version? It should be .34.

Bug report also says its something to do with OSX which explains why I've never had the problem.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Madman said:
Well that's odd then. I did a quick google search and came up with this but according to the bug report it was a resolved issue. Are you using the newest Dwarf Fortress version? It should be .34.

Bug report also says its something to do with OSX which explains why I've never had the problem.
Yeah I'm using .34, no idea what's going on here.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Well I hate to say it since I generally love helping people out with DF, always happy to have a new convert, but I have no idea how to help. It's not an issue I've ever had or heard about before so... congrats on discovering a new and wonderous bug?

Try tinkering with the init file, you'll find that under data in the DF directory, and maybe downloading a graphics pack might help as well. You can find a whole range of those in the main websites forums under the mods section. But beyond those not sure what to do, sorry.

Tesral

Jul 19, 2011
The solution should be in /data/init/init.txt . There are options to toggle fullscreen, toggle if the window is resizable, change the default size of the windowed mode, and if it really is the intro messing up your game you can disable the intro too.
These are my default settings, using high-res Nagidal fonts.
This lets you set the starting windowed/fullscreen setting. Can be YES, NO or PROMPT.

[WINDOWED:YES]

This is the size and font for windowed mode. Changing to the 800x600 font might make you happier.
If set below 256x256 it specifies the grid size instead, with a minimum of 80x25.

[WINDOWEDX:80]
[WINDOWEDY:25]
[FONT:Nagidal24x24shade.png]

You may disable window resizing if you wish.
[RESIZABLE:YES]

Full screen info. The 0s below mean that the game will choose a resolution for you, but you can set it yourself as well.

[FULLSCREENX:0]
[FULLSCREENY:0]
[FULLFONT:Nagidal24x24shade.png]

If this is set to NO, tiles will be stretched to fit the screen if there is a resolution mismatch.
If this is set to YES, the tiles will not be stretched, but rather the game view will be centralized, surrounded by black space. Tiles that are too large will always be compressed rather than running off the screen.

[BLACK_SPACE:YES]

Graphics info, most of it as above. Set GRAPHICS to YES to turn it all on. This will use the "raw/graphics" folder for tile information. Currently this is limited to whatever creature graphics you have downloaded. The game comes with a few pictures to demonstrate. As of May 2012, the Dwarf Fortress Wiki has custom tilesets available at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository and creature graphics at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Graphics_set_repository.

[GRAPHICS:NO]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:0]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:0]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:Nagidal24x24shade.png]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:0]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:Nagidal24x24shade.png]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]