Just started Morrowind for the first time this weekend....

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Anthraxus said:
Yea, so instead of balancing/fixing/improving on things, Beth does the usual..lets just rip it the fuck out then approach.
You have literally zero evidence to show that they didn't try to fix it/balance it.

You should try to re-roll that logic check Anthraxus.
Wayneguard said:
Why does it matter that it's unbalanced? This isn't a pvp game. Any character build you can imagine will become unstoppable by level 20. Half the fun of the damn game was finding a combination of magic/enchantments that either buff you, debuff opponents or just straight destroy shit and break the game. I can tell you that elder scrolls players had much more fun running around with CE reflect 100% and restore health 10pts than the piddly shit you can do in oblivion or skyrim...
I can tell you that just as many elder Scrolls players didn't enjoy spell crafting and wanted it to be nerfed or removed entirely because it was so game breaking, and took so little effort to do.

Also Oblivion's spell crafting was just as broken, if not more so then Morrowind's.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
My left pinkie still cries in terror every single time this game is mentioned. Say whatever you want about the later Elder Scrolls, they weren't sadistic enough to force you to hold down ctrl to sneak. Morrowind has an epic setting, but I just can't deal with all those old ass mechanics.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Azeal said:
Idk, the spells feel a bit more balanced imo. With the % cast chance, unless you spec full mage you are gonna fail most of the time. And no mana regen makes spamming near impossible.
No, that's a trap - just because there is a failure mechanic on a very powerful feature, doesn't mean it's balanced against a weaker but more consistent one. Namely, you circumvent the failure mechanic anyway (by levelling and spellcrafting and so on). On the other hand, the non-regenerating magicka kindasorta acts more like a balancing factor. Now, if you couldn't just take a break by going to your inventory and drinking Restore Magicka potions to your heart's content... Yeah, if there are some limitations on something powerful it still =/= something less powerful.

OT: Well, fuck you too OP. You know what? I have stuff to do, but I saw the title, like literally just saw it and went "You know what I want to play now? Morrowind, that's what", so I'm in the process of downloading and installing it. 395MB/780MB at this very moment. Yeah, really slimey move, making me want to play it again.

*sigh* I might as well ask, what are the good mods nowadays? Morrowind 2012 I have on my list, anything else essential?

Also, I'm noticing a disturbing trend of broken links on Morrowind Mythic Mods. I'll have to update my bookmarks with some more Morrowind mod compilations - anything other than TESNexus and Planet Elder Scrolls, people can recommend?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Anthraxus said:
SajuukKhar said:
Anthraxus said:
Yea, so instead of balancing/fixing/improving on things, Beth does the usual..lets just rip it the fuck out then approach.
You have literally zero evidence to show that they didn't try to fix it/balance it.

You should try to re-roll that logic check Anthraxus.
Wayneguard said:
Get a room, you two. Everyone's seen it before.

OT: I feel like I would have liked it more if I got rid of the shitty combat before discovering too much.
It's still alright.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Anthraxus said:
Maybe they did try, but Beth can't into at RPG mechanics, so they probably just said 'fuck this shit'.
Anthraxus said:
but Beth can't into at RPG mechanics
I'm sorry but, this isn't a proper sentence, or even a proper anything, nor does it even resemble something that seems like anything.

I really don't know what you were trying to say, but I suspect it was something baseless about Bethesda not being able design RPG mechanics, despite your definition of what an RPG is being over 20 years old, and totally ignoring any and all evolution in the genre since its inception, which makes it by its very nature, wrong.

So, as I said before, you should try to re-roll that logic check Anthraxus.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
mattttherman3 said:
Question 2, do these beatles take you to any previously found location or just cities
They each have their own little routes, certain striders only go to certain places. You can't take one strider everywhere on the map.
They're like buses, kind of.

Azeal said:
And Steam says I'm at 30 hours. I also work/have school, so that's kinda nuts.

This game is sooooo goooood (once you get over the whole *swing* *miss* thing that is combat). Mods make it better. Spell crafting? Custom enchants? MY GOD WHY DID THESE GET TAKEN OUT.........

Basically, what do you think is one of Morrowind's best features? And if you tried it but didn't like it, why?

Until the next Skyrim DLC, TESV can go sit in the corner. TESIII is teh king.
I actually loved the combat.

The world is definitely the best feature though, it's just pure and wonderous. Enjoy it, you're already inspiriing me to fire it up and seriously pay through it again.
When I first picked it up (on a mere whim because I liked the box art) I didn't put it down again for years and this was on the Xbox.

Worst part of the game? Easy. Cliff Racers.

Enjoy them and pray to St. Juib.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Fappy said:
Soviet Heavy said:
mattttherman3 said:
Question, is there a quick travel feature?
There are Stilt Striders. I don't see why you'd want instant teleportation when you have GIANT BEETLE TAXIS.
There are also boats and some spells.

Mark/Recall and the two Intervention spells.
Don't forget Mages Guild Guides. Travel instantly to any guild hall. And the spells are also available as single-use scrolls for the magicka-impaired. I recommend an Almsivi or Divine Intervention scroll to be carried on ALL characters as soon as one can be acquired. It's too much a potential life-saver to go without. I'd sooner leave Balmora without my pants. The Dunmer Strongholds have Propylon Chambers for the truly bold to utilize. There are definitely some treks in Morrowind but you can also cover a lot of ground by taking advantage of all options.

The best thing about Morrowind is Morrowind. As in, the place. Love it.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
SajuukKhar said:
Azeal said:
Spell crafting? Custom enchants? MY GOD WHY DID THESE GET TAKEN OUT.........
Because even in a game as unbalanced as the Elder Scrolls, custom spells and enchantments were even more so.
Not to mention a super-jump spell would let you get to things you aren't supposed to and the devs don't want to bother setting up invisible barriers everywhere.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
In other words, you have spent 18 hours doing something other than Morrowind that weekend, which is impressive.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
SajuukKhar said:
Anthraxus said:
Maybe they did try, but Beth can't into at RPG mechanics, so they probably just said 'fuck this shit'.
Anthraxus said:
but Beth can't into at RPG mechanics
I'm sorry but, this isn't a proper sentence, or even a proper anything.

I really don't know what you were trying to say, but I suspect it was something baseless about Bethesda not being able design RPG mechanics, despite your definition of what an RPG is being over 20 years old, and totally ignoring any and all evolution in the genre since its inception, which makes it by its very nature, wrong.

So, as I said before, you should try to re-roll that logic check Anthraxus.
He got a nat-20 as far as I'm concerned. What did you roll? A 7? Those "dated" RPG mechanics you seem intent on lambasting are far better than any evolution the genre has had in the last 10 years. There's a reason why all my friends prefer Pathfinder to D&D 4.0. Morrowind at least was a real RPG. Oblivion and Skyrim are just action adventure games with RPG elements.

Just because a game gets defined as a RPG, doesn't mean there's much playing of a role being done. RPGs are about telling a character to perform tasks that they may or may not be able to perform. Morrowind has that down to an art. There's nothing you can fail in Oblivion, because you either do it, or you do it better. Your character has no limits, and therefore the player is never limited by their character. D&D would never have been any fun with their "logic" checks (or any checks) if the player could just spot the problem and say "I fix the problem." No, you have to roll to see if your character is smart enough to see the problem, and you have to check to see if he's good enough at what he does to even implement his idea of a fix. RPGs aren't about assuming the role of someone that is a character like Mario or Master Chief, they are more about living in someone's body and trying to succeed with their limits and strengths.

OT: My favorite part is probably the leveling system. You can either have fun breaking it, or have it work exactly as intended where your character will grow depending on how you play him.

Worst: Magic system. There's no good reason for a fighter to have better combat spells through his enchantments than a mage through his innate abilities. It does encourage alchemy to be a major part of a mage's skill set, but restore magicka ingredients are too rare, expensive, and heavy.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Azeal said:
And Steam says I'm at 30 hours. I also work/have school, so that's kinda nuts.

This game is sooooo goooood (once you get over the whole *swing* *miss* thing that is combat). Mods make it better. Spell crafting? Custom enchants? MY GOD WHY DID THESE GET TAKEN OUT.........

Basically, what do you think is one of Morrowind's best features? And if you tried it but didn't like it, why?

Until the next Skyrim DLC, TESV can go sit in the corner. TESIII is teh king.

Don't send Skyrim off to that corner too quickly..... this could soon be here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119724-Skywind-Mod-Jams-Morrowind-Into-Skyrim

Plus they have plans to add TESIV as well, so yeah, 3 in 1 (if you own them all on PC) So yeah, definitely worth while in that regard.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Yeah, I don't do the whole melee thing in Morrowind. I usually stick to throwing darts because they rock so hard. Especially if you get the Tribunal expansion. Dwarven darts just kill so hard and you can throw them so fast. Or spring darts for big boss fights.

But hey, magic is great too... much much much better than in TESV because you can make your own. Speaking of making your own spells. Cast on self, one second duration, destruction spell, -100 int. Cheap on money and magic.

neverarine

Nov 18, 2009
well yeah Morrowind was clearly the best game, play it long enough and my username will even make sense! lol

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I remember the brief amount of time I played Morrowind fondly.
I think I ended up getting lost and wandering into a random town and started doing local quests.

For the on going discussion about spell crafting:
My brother got into Oblivion a while back--I've logged countless hours in myself. He descided to go magic and was actually doing pretty well, then I told him about buffs and spell crafting. He made three magicka buff spells that acted as stepping stones and basically ended up with infinate magic. Then he created a spell that paralyzes for a couple seconds while doing a ton of damage.
He eventually got bored because it got too easy.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Signa said:
RPGs aren't about assuming the role of someone that is a character like Mario or Master Chief, they are more about living in someone's body and trying to succeed with their limits and strengths.
You mean like how in Skyrim, the vast majority of your powers come through perks, of which there are over 250, and of which you can only at max ever get 80, though the game is deigned to have a soft cap of level 50, so most people will only ever get 1/5 of the total perks, and thus your character cannot become great at everything, and thus you are forced to live with limited powers in certain aspects, while at the same time using the things you are good at to your advantage to help you do stuff in the game, or in shorter terms "living in someone's body and trying to succeed with their limits and strengths."?

GASPS!!!!!!!

Signa said:
He got a nat-20 as far as I'm concerned. What did you roll? A 7? Those "dated" RPG mechanics you seem intent on lambasting are far better than any evolution the genre has had in the last 10 years. There's a reason why all my friends prefer Pathfinder to D&D 4.0. Morrowind at least was a real RPG. Oblivion and Skyrim are just action adventure games with RPG elements.
Morrowind was in no way shape or form any more of a real RPG then Oblivion or Skyrim, neither of those games have any greater, or any lesser, chances of succeeding or failing at different tasks, the only thing different in the means at which you succeed or fail.

Mororwind worked on the basis of you either could cast the spell, or you didn't cast the spell at all.

Oblivion and Skyrim work on the principal of "you can cast the spell, but you are so bad at magic that it does almost no damage, and thus your spell was worthless, so you might as well not have cast any magic at all".

1+1+1=3 but so does 2+1

Neither are any greater or less, just two different means of achieving the same end.

While you may prefer one over the other, to say the one you don't prefer is lesser is factually wrong.

denseWorm said:
EXACTLY!

They also cut down the number of classes, and cut down the length and variety storyline missions by like 70%. Have you done the house quests? The Imperial cult, the imperial legion, the houses, the guilds, the morag tong, and so much more besides...
Every class that is in Morrowind can be made in Skyrim, the comment on reducing the number of classes is wrong.

Also did you play any of those faction lines? 90% of factions had no plot, no theme, they were just "go here and kill/retrieve X" quests.

Bethesda only "cut" factions because they actually gave factions a PLOT, and giving things plot takes more resources to do.