Just started Morrowind for the first time this weekend....

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Azeal said:
And Steam says I'm at 30 hours. I also work/have school, so that's kinda nuts.

This game is sooooo goooood (once you get over the whole *swing* *miss* thing that is combat). Mods make it better. Spell crafting? Custom enchants? MY GOD WHY DID THESE GET TAKEN OUT.........

Basically, what do you think is one of Morrowind's best features? And if you tried it but didn't like it, why?

Until the next Skyrim DLC, TESV can go sit in the corner. TESIII is teh king.

I think the best feature specific to Morrowind is the ability to arrange your house exactly as you want it. None of the follow-up games allow you to do that, not even Skyrim. There's nothing quite as cool when you come back home in Morrowind and see everything you decided to keep, arranged exactly how you want it. You'll have to save often to keep the game from throwing items into an overflow sack though.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
Azeal said:
Danzavare said:
Does anyone know if a 'quest tracker' mod exists for Morrowind? I don't necessarily need the arrow system, just a neater way of keeping track of separate quests than one messy journal. I don't get to play video games too often nowadays, so I'd prefer it if I could easily see where I was rather than have to decipher the journal when I play.

I played Morrowind years ago on the Xbox, the stamina really tested my patience but I loved the exploration. The world seemed to have a sense of mystery and strangeness that both Oblivion and Skyrim lack (Though I love them both regardless). I'd love to get into it properly on the PC, but journal system makes me hesitant.
I think built in to the GOTY edition is the option to view by quest. If you click "options" in your journal, there is a list of quests you can look at. Until I found this, I was so easily sidetracked by finding new quests every 5 seconds. If it's not in the GOTY edition, it's in the morrowind overhaul modpack. That also adds a sneak toggle, visual upgrades..... etc. I also got a mod that slightly increased accuracy, so level 1 wasn't a whiff-fest.
Thank you for the help. I think I'll buy the GOTY edition and give Morrowind another go these holidays.

beastro

Jan 6, 2012
Azeal said:
Basically, what do you think is one of Morrowind's best features? And if you tried it but didn't like it, why?
When I heard of it and then did some digging I heard about vampires, werewolves, some island at the edge of an empire and expected it to be a typical fantasy setting. Instead you fight very bizarre creatures in a foreign land.

It was jarring and also enjoyable because it wasn't like slipping into you're typical fantasy. everything was strange and the only real familiar things were the Imperial settlements and forts and the strong East Asia flavour surrounding Vivec, both person and city.

The irony is that what made me really get into TES wasn't repeated in the later games with Oblivion and Skyrim looking and being in detail what I originally expected Morrowind to be.

Besides that was the difficulty early in the game. It's a shame that the balance of the game never kept pace and the you turned into the familiar demi-god that every TES character turns into. The only channeling things you met later on in the mid term game were the Assassins that keep popping up with Mournhold installed. They become very powerful before you're really able to yourself and I'd go out of my way to avoid working on that quest enough to make them stop spawning. They certainly made me save before I rested!

I miss endurance too because it made you second guess fights early in and you couldn't BS your way out of them like in the later games by making hit and runs and slowly wearing down mobs. When you got tired you died and I actually found it far less aggravating than Skyrim mobs beating on me badly enough to do an insta kill move. One was me running out of a finite resource, that if managed well, would still allow me to get away killing things while the other one seemingly happens at random and makes me hold off melee fighting until the late mid-term game when it becomes less frequent.

I liked the complete lack of fast travel save for ones that made sense in the world with the insect creatures and boats being nice but limited to different areas with the Mage Guild transport getting you all over the place, but still requiring you to make a run to a place.

I played the game after quitting Everquest, which at the time had the same transport mechanics, only having Druids and Wizards be able to port around the map and thus be very valuable to play as or befriend.

I'll add this to those who the lack of fast travel: It's the reason why Morrowinds world feels so damn big. Adding it in trivializes the size of any world map.

EQ with it's first three expansions FELT large when it really wasn't, being a patchwork of small, connected zones. Even the later "large" ones were small and are trivial now thanks to fast forms of travel. Old EQ even just the Classic world map with the original three continents was huge to the senses because it was such a pain to get around to. Getting from Freeport to Qeynos and crossing the largest continent was a huge undertaking on foot even though it only required running through 7 small zones and three large ones (which were only large because they were the largest at the time and were pretty much devoid of anything of note).

Morrowind had the same feel to it. Leaving to go on a quest actually felt like something of substance between you had to prepare for a long run and know you were going to spend some time in the wildness, however bland and barren it was. Oblivion and Sykrim lack that and I only use fast travel to get to each major city emulating the Mage Guild transportation in MW. Oblivion was small but did take some time to get from one side of the map to the other, Skyrim just feels like Everquest does now with all the extra forms of easy transportation with the only difference being a seamless world as oppose to a compartmentalized one.

Oh yeah, and I really miss spears, piercing damage and the ability to stab with weapons. I never actually used spears, but I liked the verity with weapons and armour, and while I know stabbing was OP and quickly turned into your default attack move, it is still a part of melee combat and removing it felt extremely lazy instead of adding in a blocking or parrying mechanic to counter it.

IMO, all TES combat really needs to be entertaining is the mechanics of Mount and Blade to be enjoyable. Then just add in the range of weapons making short ones good in close and large long ones effective at range but useless close up, then different damage types with maces being most effective against chain and plate, swords being terrible against armour and polearms effective but clumsy and then things start to get interesting and actually complicated for once.

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Got any graphics overhaul packs to recommend anyone? I would love to play it but would like to pretty things up a bit first.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
My main issue with TES3 was the fact that exterior had loading screens every time you crossed cell boarder
So flying at speed of 800 was a bit annoying
Is there some mod that removes cells or at least decreases their number?

Ingjald

Nov 17, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
I never had that experience in Morrowind, I mean, I love Morrowind, it's the game that got me into TES, but playing Morrowind, even for the first time, all I could think of while doing quests for factions was "whats the point of this again exactly?" and, "Why am I becoming guild master just by doing meaningless grunt work any half-assed idiot could do?"

I never felt like I earned my positions in Guilds in Morrowind, in Oblivion and Skyrim you DO something of note to earn your position.

In Morrowind its just like "you did 15 quests where we told you to collect plants.... YOU ARE GUILD MASTER NOW YEAH!!!!".
While I agree and can relate to the sentiment, I feel perhaps Skyrim went a bit too far in the other direction: while the guilds have a plot, it felt much too short. Maybe it's because I loved the Dark Brotherhood and Winterhold quests too much, but it kinda felt like : "welcome back from killing three hobos, New Recruit! Now let's discuss
you murdering the emperor!

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
In Morrowind its just like "you did 15 quests where we told you to collect plants.... YOU ARE GUILD MASTER NOW YEAH!!!!".
Oh wow, can you tell me how you managed to skip the Dwemer-related and Vampire&nercomancy-related questchains that are required to complete to get a chance of replacing the arch mage, either violently or peacefully?

Oh oh wait, Imperial Cult, right? So did you bypass all the searches for legendary artifacts?

Telvanni? So you somehow didn't have to kill those inluential people from other great houses and get the votes of each Telvanni councilmember?

Temple... did those Daedric Princes give you their iconic items through mail?

You must be playing quite a heavily modded game. 15 plant collection quests, my god you have such a boring mod

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
R Man said:
Almost any plot can be rendered down into kill a guy, or get a thing, or be in a place. The problem with Oblivion is that the quest-lines don't interact with each other, and they don't have any larger meaning. In Morrowid they frequently overlap and interact. For example in Ald'ruhn there is a legion quest to catch a smuggler. The smuggler, Drinar Varyon is also involved in a Hlaalu quest. In addition becoming head of a Great House will later make becoming Hortator much easier.
So Morrowind questlines aren't substanceless, it's just that substance is orientated to contributing to the general gameworld over more self-contained plotlines in Oblivion.
The questlines shouldn't interact with each other, and Oblivion's questlines did have a larger, at least when compared to Morrowind's, meaning. Morrowind's questlines were "faf about, then become guild master", in Oblivion you actually saved the world of Necromancers, what you did was actually meaningful because it prevented something bad from happening.

What would have happened had you not done the Mages guild quests in Morrowind? nothing.
Ingjald said:
While I agree and can relate to the sentiment, I feel perhaps Skyrim went a bit too far in the other direction: while the guilds have a plot, it felt much too short. Maybe it's because I loved the Dark Brotherhood and Winterhold quests too much, but it kinda felt like : "welcome back from killing three hobos, New Recruit! Now let's discuss
you murdering the emperor!
I do agree, they did feel like they were too short.

Whats is sad is that each of the major questlines has quest systems in place that they could have used to pad out the questlines into something reasonable.
-The Companions could have used more radiant quests between the larger main quests.
-The Thieves guild could have made it more clear you need to do the side jobs to become guild master.
-There's about 5 more murder Nazir sends you on which they could have put before the Emperor killing.
-The college has one or two quests you could do, I forget what they are.
Norrdicus said:
Oh wow, can you tell me how you managed to skip the Dwemer-related and Vampire&nercomancy-related questchains that are required to complete to get a chance of replacing the arch mage, either violently or peacefully?

Oh oh wait, Imperial Cult, right? So did you bypass all the searches for legendary artifacts?

Telvanni? So you somehow didn't have to kill those inluential people from other great houses and get the votes of each Telvanni councilmember?

Temple... did those Daedric Princes give you their iconic items through mail?

You must be playing quite a heavily modded game. 15 plant collection quests, my god you have such a boring mod
All the Dwemer, and Vampire, related content is equal to flower picking because it leads into nothing and contributes to no larger plot, same with the artifact collecting,
-The artifacts had no reason to be collected
-Collecting them led into NOTHING but another quest
-Their collection contributed to NO LARGER GOAL.

Actually there were ways to complete the Telvanni questline without killing anyone, except like ONE guy, and still, becoming leader of a Great house MEANT NOTHING, it was a pointless title because doing so prevented nothing, and stopped nothing from happening.

-Collecting Wuuthrad, or the Staff of Magnus, or getting the Nightingale Armor in Skyrim, that was artifact collecting because it had a point, it actually contributed to a storyline.
-Dawnguard was a REAL vampire questline, because becoming a Vampire didn't just lead to some pointless quests, it had an overall purpose.
-Killing people for the Dark Brotherhood so you could murder the Emperor was FAR better then the Morag tong, DB in Oblivion, or the murders the Televani send you on, because it actually contributed to a larger goal.

All the stuff you listed in Morrowind are, ironically, perfect examples of what was wrong with Morrowind, it led nowhere. Everything in Mororwind's questlines was a series of unconnected, poorly justified, and meaningless actions that contributed to no larger goal besides getting to the next quest. It lacked any real purpose.

R Man

Dec 19, 2007
SajuukKhar said:
The questlines shouldn't interact with each other, and Oblivion's questlines did have a larger, at least when compared to Morrowind's, meaning. Morrowind's questlines were "faf about, then become guild master", in Oblivion you actually saved the world of Necromancers, what you did was actually meaningful because it prevented something bad from happening.

What would have happened had you not done the Mages guild quests in Morrowind? nothing.
Wrong on all counts. Questlines should touch on each other because that increases the perception of larger things working behind the scenes. Otherwise quest groups seem self contained and separate from each other.

The Oblivion Mages Guild is only significant if you join. Otherwise it's irrelevant and nothing happens. If you never join, you never know, and that's the problem. And once you complete the guild quests they might as well disappear into the aether from the story perspective. For the most part the Mages Guild, Fighters Guild and Dark Brotherhood add nothing to the rest of the story. Not even thematically.

On the other hand in Morrowind many quest touch on issues addressed in other quests. For example some Redoran quests involve Ash monsters sneaking into a Manor. This is linked to ideas brought up in the main quest (6th House Infilration). Working with the Great Houses can actually make the Hortator quests easier. Divayth Fyr is another example, as he's involved in the main quest, and several House Quests, thus (possibly) introducing players to Corpus disease in several ways. Some of these characters keep impacting on the plot, even after their questline has finished, in small ways. And this helps build the interconnectedness of the world.

neverarine

Nov 18, 2009
LG Jargon said:
neverarine said:
well yeah Morrowind was clearly the best game, play it long enough and my username will even make sense! lol
....Err...I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, bud, but....it's spelled "Nerevarine", not "neverarine"...Sorry. >.>;;

It's just...I've just started playing through Morrowind (don't like it all that much; I think Skyrim spoiled me) and that's the only way I've seen it spelled...

OT: Unless you invest in Athletics early on, Morrowind is going to be a slog when you start.
I know its spelled differently, i like my version, but its still an obvious reference that only makes sense to people familiar with the dunmer lore

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
blackrave said:
My main issue with TES3 was the fact that exterior had loading screens every time you crossed cell boarder
So flying at speed of 800 was a bit annoying
Is there some mod that removes cells or at least decreases their number?
Actually, simply playing on a newer computer, even if you have tons of graphics mods, makes the loading times so short they're barely noticeable. So, while there isn't anything that directly fixes it, a decade of hardware improvements has dramatically improved this issue.

Rylee Fox

Queen of Light
Aug 3, 2011
I tried playing morrowind but just couldn't get interested. There wasn't a darn thing to fight and the world felt incredibly empty. Every guard in the game somehow knowing what you did even though it should be impossible for anyone to know is a big screwup. I found certain quests almost impossible since I had no clue what NPC I was supposed to talk to and no npcs gave me any useful info.

I went to more than one city, even traveling around on foot most of the time and found...nothing. The game is empty and lifeless.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Rylee Fox said:
I tried playing morrowind but just couldn't get interested. There wasn't a darn thing to fight and the world felt incredibly empty. Every guard in the game somehow knowing what you did even though it should be impossible for anyone to know is a big screwup. I found certain quests almost impossible since I had no clue what NPC I was supposed to talk to and no npcs gave me any useful info.

I went to more than one city, even traveling around on foot most of the time and found...nothing. The game is empty and lifeless.
It sounds like you weren't reading carefully enough. I'm not trying to insult you here, but Morrowind requires more attentiveness than most games. It's really worth it once you get into it though, and I'd urge you to give it another try.

DYin01

Oct 18, 2008
One of my favorite things is that most of the loot is always in the same place, which is great if you start a third or second character. I loved reading the Wiki about all the special items like the Daedric masks that are in hidden in impossible places.

In Morrowind, you could actually feel both incredibly powerful and terribly weak. I remember getting lost in Dwemer ruins with enemies above my level. I never felt such despair in Oblivion and I kind of missed it. Same goes for Skyrim. There's never any real danger, and there most definitely was in Morrowind.

D-Class 198482

Jul 17, 2012
I loved turning into a werewolf in Bloodmoon, Lycanthropy in general is something missed in Oblivion and the fact you can go into first-person as a werewolf in Morrowind makes it better for roleplaying than Skyrim werewolves.
But yeah, that goddamn combat. Spears are absolutely useless and you can't even come in contact with anything when spears are involved.

Rylee Fox

Queen of Light
Aug 3, 2011
Benpasko said:
It sounds like you weren't reading carefully enough. I'm not trying to insult you here, but Morrowind requires more attentiveness than most games. It's really worth it once you get into it though, and I'd urge you to give it another try.
I don't take it as an insult, I expected a post like that and you could be right. I was frustrated at the game constantly crashing due to a memory leak so I may not have been as focused as I should have been. That doesn't change the emptiness of the world or the guards instantly knowing everything you did wrong even though it shouldn't be possible for them to know at all.

I am told that Skyrim does take care of some of the issues I had with Morrowind so I may give that a try someday. Just not anytime soon.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Azeal said:
Playing as a Khajit or Argonian, maxing out your hand to hand and then clawing monsters to death.

There is something fundamentally hilarious about running around wearing no armour and murdering Ash Vampires with a slap.

Also, the Thieve's Guild quests. Way to shoe horn a puzzle game in at the same time.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
What do i love? Well the culture and architecture of the different areas. The wildly different wilderness types. Love the music. Love the rain and water effects. Love nothing is levelled up, so you can gain a Daedric weapon within 30 minutes of starting the game. I love what i call the hidden stories, where you enter a house, go to the basement and find a daedric shrine and you fine that hidden bit of story behind normality. Fact there is one set of daedric armour, makes it more special. Hidden stuff is awesome, how special loot is everywhere and is not dependant on you being level 50. There is also always fun stuff to find if you search and explore, i remember seeing a viking type burial in a long boat in a tomb. That was awesome. :)Better armour amounts like pauldrons and shoulder bits, also wearing robes over armour was good. More weapons and armour types like chitin and bonemold.

Basically, after Oblivion and Skyrim they are adding less stuff to their games. I played Morrowind 5 times, Skyrim i played once and i have no interest in playing it again as i found it boring. Maybe for the next TES game they should get the modders involved in creating extra content (weapons etc) for the game so on release it would be amazing. I always wish that for the GOTY versions they released on the 360 contained the top 20 mods on the disk. :)