Just watched the "Cornetto Trilogy"

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
And it's AWESOME!!!

For those of you who don't know, the Cornetto Trilogy are the three movies written by Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg. Big parts of the cast are the same in every movie and they are "parodies" of Zombie, Action and Alien Invasion movies.

The three movies are: Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End

I had previously seen Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, both are very high up in my favorites movies list, but you can always see them again. We were thinking on Tuesday with my friend we should check out The World's End and, since neither of us had anything special to do yesterday (Wednesday), we decide we just do the whole trilogy.

The World's end was a great movie too! I like all 3 of them, Nick Frost and Simon Pegg of course being the main characters in all three movies but the rest of the cast are very good too. And trying to remember who is who in every film is a funny little side quest in itself :D
As is trying to find all their hidden jokes and messages beforehand in the movies to be able to say what will happen next :p

Have you guys seen the movies? What did you think?

Have you done a movie "marathon" like this, (not maybe long enough with 3, 1hour45min films to be called a marathon... but you get the point) and what movie series was in question?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've not seen At World's End yet, but I will once it becomes available on blu-ray.

As for the other two...

I love Shaun of the Dead. It's nearly flawless and has genuine heart. Hot Fuzz I didn't care for too much. It seemed to go for more cheap laughs, with Nick Frost being the clumsy goof because he's fat.

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
I love all those movies. But Hott Fuzz was the first I ever watched. I must say that I almost died of laughter. I was a lot older when I watched the other two so I didn't laugh quite as hard but reggardless they are all marvelous films.

And the fight scenes. Dem fight scenes.

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
I've not seen At World's End yet, but I will once it becomes available on blu-ray.
I think it's the World's End. Sorry to be so picky but I see that mistake way too often.

But yeah, awesome series. It's a shame it's over, though if they did anything else it would probably become too repetitive. Plus I'm not sure if they have any more Cornetto flavours left.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Casual Shinji said:

As for the other two...

I love Shaun of the Dead. It's nearly flawless and has genuine heart. Hot Fuzz I didn't care for too much. It seemed to go for more cheap laughs, with Nick Frost being the clumsy goof because he's fat.
I loved Hot Fuzz because I can name the real people and stories the the film is based on. The director/co-writer Edgar Wright's family comes from Wells, where the film was shot. The couple that ran the pub are based on the people who ran the Swan in the 70s and 80s. The secretary and the town clark affair happened in the early 70s and the secret meetings in the ruins storyline comes from the story about the directors own grandmother who was supposedly part of coven that met in the bishop's palace gardens(where that section was filmed)in the late 80s/early 90s. To me, it was blindingly funny because large parts of the plot happened in real life.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
I loved those film! For me personally, Hot Fuzz was the best, as I think it was the perfect parody of the action genre, and especially of the cheesey action film genre. But all the films are great and worth watching.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I love the Cornetto trilogy XD

I didn't think The World's End matched the brilliance of the other two, but it was still fun. Shaun of the Dead is my favourite, hands down. It's right up there as one of my favourite movies ever. I do have a huge soft spot for Hot Fuzz as well though, as I grew up near Wells (where it was filmed) and know the town well. It was hilarious to see it as the setting for ridiculously OTT violence and action sequences.

I haven't done a Cornetto marathon, but I have marathoned the Extended Edition LOTR films. Had to be done. Mind you, I dread to think what the inevitable Hobbit + LOTR trilogies marathon will be like...

EDIT:
Casual Shinji said:
I've not seen At World's End yet
Someone already pointed out the mistake, but... At World's End is the godawful third Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Do yourself a favour and see THE World's End instead :p

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
The Cornetto trilogy is great, and I hope it goes down in film history as one of the great trilogies, along with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Toy Story. I actually might consider Shaun of the Dead the weakest of the three, but mostly due to the zombie boom of the late 2000's making it not seem as original as it was back when it was released (I saw it last year for the first time). Hot Fuzz comes in second as a great parody of bombastic American action films, and The World's End is IMO the best. I laughed pretty much all the way through, it had great acting especially from Simon Pegg, a great premise, great characters and actual heart. For someone at the very age that Simon Pegg's character seems to have never grown out of, it really spoke to me. The group of friends banding together, yet having grown apart reminded me of my own high school friends: we're all still very good friends and get together frequently, but after we went separate ways after high school, I'm beginning to see the differences between us.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
bartholen said:
The Cornetto trilogy is great, and I hope it goes down in film history as one of the great trilogies, along with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Toy Story.
Francis Ford Coppola is rolling over in his grave.

Or he would be, if he were dead. Which he might be if he ever gets wind of this. You monster.

OT: The World's End was quite a step down from Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, but it wasn't without it's moments. I actually enjoyed the summer's OTHER post apocalyptic buddy comedy This is the End more.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Hot Fuzz is one my favourite films. The World's End is decent but I never got the hype for Shaun of the Dead

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
bartholen said:
The Cornetto trilogy is great, and I hope it goes down in film history as one of the great trilogies, along with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and Toy Story.
Francis Ford Coppola is rolling over in his grave.

Or he would be, if he were dead. Which he might be if he ever gets wind of this. You monster.

OT: The World's End was quite a step down from Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead, but it wasn't without it's moments. I actually enjoyed the summer's OTHER post apocalyptic buddy comedy This is the End more.
Perhaps he mentally blanked out the Godfather III. I wish I could the horror, the horror....

captainballsack

Feb 13, 2013
I love Edgar Wright's work. He's a fantastic screen writer and a fantastic director.

I love what he did with Scott Pilgrim, too. Whether or not you like the film, it's quite possibly one of the best comic book to film transitions since Sin City.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
albino boo said:
Casual Shinji said:

As for the other two...

I loved Hot Fuzz because I can name the real people and stories the the film is based on. The director/co-writer Edgar Wright's family comes from Wells, where the film was shot. The couple that ran the pub are based on the people who ran the Swan in the 70s and 80s. The secretary and the town clark affair happened in the early 70s and the secret meetings in the ruins storyline comes from the story about the directors own grandmother who was supposedly part of coven that met in the bishop's palace gardens(where that section was filmed)in the late 80s/early 90s. To me, it was blindingly funny because large parts of the plot happened in real life.
In a similar vein, one of the reasons Shaun of the Dead is my favourite is the fact that it was heavily filmed where I live. The little shop where he buys the cornetto used to be a frequent stop for my friends and I after school (one of whom lives on the street where all that was filmed).

It's great seeing things in them you can relate to personal experience, especially years down the line seeing how it's all changed (same thing happens when I watch old episodes of peep show, the electronics shop in the intro hasn't been there for the best part of a decade)

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
It was a bittersweet end to the trilogy, and I mean that in the best possible way. I was just sad to see them end is all.

Oh yeah, and the music! You young people probably didn't recognize any of the music in the film, but it was perfect for a movie about clinging to the past, which in the case of The World's End is mostly from the 90s. I suppose only Pegg could use both The Housemartins and St. Etienne in a movie and make it work.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
It was a bittersweet end to the trilogy
I also think so, both the whole third movie and the ending of the third movie, loved the argument scene xD

Slitzkin said:
And the fight scenes. Dem fight scenes.
True dat!

The last 20 minutes of Hot Fuzz, best moment in action movie history!

Bar scene, with biliard sticks + Queen in SotD!!

The whole TWE movie... using chairs, toilets, legs :p

Eamar said:
I love the Cornetto trilogy XD

I didn't think The World's End matched the brilliance of the other two,
I've noticed it's been very 50/50 with people who liked the last one and didn't.
My friend who saw The World's End first, and he also introduced me to SotD and HF, said he didn't think TWE matched up to the two other ones, while what I first saw after it was released, many said it was the best of the three.

In this thread it is very split up which one people like the best...

I should've made a poll which one people liked the best :/

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I really liked the first two, but I just have this feeling I won't like The World's End all that much. I haven't seen it yet, and I will, but ... I dunno, the premise doesn't really interest me too much.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
For me it's Shaun of the dead, Worlds End and then Hot Fuzz, not that Hot Fuzz isn't good, just I've never been into the sort of movies it's aping, so it appeals to me /less/ than the other two. Also the Pint-Fu fight in Worlds End is fucking ace.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Guffe said:
That's a really good idea. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to watch them in order, on the same day. Normally I would balk at the idea of all those hours, sitting, but each movie is energetic and entertaining enough. Going to try that now.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Check out their tv show, Spaced, if you can find it anywhere. If you're going to watch just one episode it needs to be the Resident Evil episode.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Casual Shinji said:

As for the other two...

I don't even know how to say it, but to me it feels like Hot Fuzz is more of a parody than a standalone film.

Like Shaun of the Dead is a rom-com, but one with zombies thrown in. Surviving horror movies is kinda talked about, but it's more about Shaun the character than just lampshading things.

Which is what I felt Hot Fuzz was. Throw in as many action movie cliches as possible, but do it in a goofy loving way

/pretentiousmode