Just why is PC gaming the master race?

Gecko clown

Mar 28, 2011
I've just gotten really pissed off with this one guy who, despite being a member of the master race, just raged at everyone who made the slightest criticism of the PC as a gaming platform. And I'd just really like everyone who does this to stop. It's not the master race, and it just makes you look like a nob when you shout at people for saying that PC gaming isn't absolutely perfect in every way. Now before ANYONE shouts at me I would like to say that I play games on the PC and consoles and, despite both of them having their pros and cons, they are both about the same on quality. PC has mods and the mouse is much more suited to fps' than the Xbox controller but the keyboard, oh god the keyboard.

People who rage at console gamers for being console gamers are only making themselves look like dicks. Face it guys, the only thing keeping the PC alive is Steam.

Now let the foruming commence!

(Please no raging.)

Apr 28, 2008
Nothing does. Just some PC gamers with a huge case of elitism.

Also, I love how you say PC gaming would be dead without Steam, then ask for no raging.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Please no raging?
Just having made this post sets you up pretty damn well for a ton of that, mate.

Personally I play the majority of my games on PC, but I do have some games I can only play on my Xbox360(Fable 2, the Bioshock games, Mirror's Edge, plus some more), though, I mostly play on my PC because, well...
The Xbox controller is too chunky for my hands. They're very small, and thin, so they essentially die when I play too much Xbox. I can't play Limbo for long either because I press the buttons so hard my fingers die after a while.

... Yes, I'm a tiny person.

I'm not taking sides, I like both equally, but I'm an artist, I need functioning hands.

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
Because I had the cash/money to buy expensive tech and know how to use a screwdriver and plug things into holes so I could build it.

In all honesty I've never understood elitism about whatever way you choose to play games but that's just me.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Master race?

Oh please, give it a rest.
Why do some people insist on waging war amongst us?

We're all gamers, there is no need for hostility.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Seriously?

The only thing keeping PC alive is 'Steam'...

Gecko clown said:
I've just gotten really pissed off with this one guy who, despite being a member of the master race, just raged at everyone who made the slightest criticism of the PC as a gaming platform. And I'd just really like everyone who does this to stop. It's not the master race, and it just makes you look like a nob when you shout at people for saying that PC gaming isn't absolutely perfect in every way.
Also when you contradict yourself like you did, it makes it very hard to come up with a concise point.

As far I am aware, Console Games are developed on PC, so as long as consoles are around, the PC will still be needed. And should the two electronic companies decide to let the consoles die out, it will come back down to Nintendo and the PC.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well, PC games lead the way. Online, shooters, MMOs, Voip, graphics, social networks, indy games, it's the master because it leads and consoles follow, simple as.

As for the guy deriding anyone who desparages PC gaming, he sounds like an arse. PC gaming is the leader, but that also means it has to clear all the rocks in the road first...

... I had Steam on release day, all things considered, that was a day to forget.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Some people are arse holes.

As much as I'm sure some people need to be bombarded with this deeply profound - and frankly astonishing - message, the rest of us probably got it the first 300 times.

Although if you came out with something as stupid and antagonistic as Steam being the only thing that keeps PC gaming afloat then I'm not surprised he slammed you.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
PC has the ability to mimic all of the consoles (not saying it does yet, but it can), the mouse is far more accurate than a thumbstick, and even at that, you can mod your games to play with a gamepad on PC. As it sits, PCs generally are more powerful than consoles, and can do much, much more for a lot less money.

The idea that Steam is the only thing keeping PC gaming alive is laughable at best, a computer is, and always will be a more powerful, more diverse option for gaming. The use of emulators allows for console games to be played on the computer, free flash games let indie developers cut their teeth in a relatively risk free environment, and sites like Good Old Games [http://gog.com] allow gamers to experience old classics on new systems with minimal fuss, you can't get that with most consoles, I mean look at the PS3's backwards compatibility issues.

Also, the search bar is your friend, I saw this same thread pop up yesterday.

Quick edit: not all PC gamers are elitist assholes, like the guy you've mentioned OP. I consider myself primarily a PC gamer, but I have all of the current generation consoles and a good library of old games and consoles. A proper gamer recognizes that there are some things that consoles just tend to do better than PC.

Lordmurdalot

Dec 11, 2010
It really comes down to practice. The keyboard is ,when you get down to paper, the only problem with PC gaming. But its a pretty glaring problem when you get down to it. Once you've gotten used to it then PC gaming is pretty much superior. (no i dont shout at people for not liking it its just what i think and everyone has their preferences)

Thats the answer to the question

Now to answer the post

its not just PC gamers that do that. Console gamers do that just as much (from my experience more so but thats just me). It is kinda harsh to throw us all in the boat with one loud mouth idiot just because we like the same system.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
For the most part: People want to justify why they spent $1,200 on a PC versus $200-300 on a console.

PC does have the technical concept that nearly every game has potential to have limitless content if the community is determined enough to add to it. That doesn't make it the master race though.

EDIT: Alright, since people seem to think I don't know you can build cheap computers, my point was that people who do spend $1,200 on a computer are the ones who seem to feel compelled to be all "PC master race" to others.

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
Scizophrenic Llama said:
For the most part: People want to justify why they spent $1,200 on a PC versus $200-300 on a console.
Not to mention the fact they can use a screwdriver. Life skill +1.

evilives34

Mar 20, 2009
we pc gamers are not the master race, but what does piss pc gamers off is comments for console gamers saying things like "Face it guys, the only thing keeping the PC alive is Steam."

i hate is whole pc gaming is dead thing, if was nvidia wouldnt be making all that money, and EA would be starting origin.

plus consoles ( other then graphics, and mods) are pretty close. consoles games get patchs and betas, and some games have be installed.

you dont have to pay 1200 for a gaming pc, you can good one, better then consoles for like 600-700 bucks

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
There is something about building your gaming machine that just feels so right. Perhaps its the same feeling normal people get when they mod their cars? Its my baby, it brings fun as well as terror, but it will always be my creation.

Plus I love how every game has mods. I played GTA: Vice City ONLINE. Thats right online multiplayer. That kind of fun you just don't get on consoles.

Mechalemmiwinks

Aug 27, 2008
Meh. I play games on the PC that have to be played on the PC. I don't program or anything, so I'm not developing mods on my own, so I generally don't use mods; I suppose I should mention that I've gotten a few nasty viruses after installing downloaded mods in the past. I've also come to fear buying a PC game and then having my computer tell me that it just...doesn't...want to play the game for me. I guess, in a way, I'm just a bungling moron who likes to play video games, but wants to go the path of least resistance. I also get to feeling a little justified in my beliefs whenever one of my friends tries a Tim Allen-esque "improvement" to his computer that turns it into an unusable heap of smoking metal.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Gecko clown said:
Face it guys, the only thing keeping the PC alive is Steam.
And there goes your entire argument, right there.

Now, if you want some ACTUAL reasons, let's talk about it. First off, the "PC Gaming Master Race" title is a joke that was accidentally taken seriously by people with egos the size of the moon. If you want to compare platforms, the PC does have some distinct advantages over its console brethren.

A) While they are more expensive, a decent PC has much more powerful hardware than any console on the market. This enables PC gaming to run with higher quality visuals than what consoles can provide, as well as providing the power for more advanced artificial intelligence and simulation effects.
B) PC gaming revolves heavily around the idea of "choice." With consoles, there really aren't too many ways to play a game. You get you controller, you get your system, and that's pretty much it. PC gaming, on the other hand, allows gamers to choose just about any control method they want (mouse/keyboard, controller, joystick, KINECT, Razer's motion peripheral, etc). This level of variety extends to the game library, graphics settings, mods and online gameplay.
C) PC gaming has, by far, the largest game library of any system out there. Hell, the PC can even successfully emulate several dozen other consoles, including the SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, PS1 and PS2.
D) PC games are generally cheaper than their counter parts by $10-30, and this doesn't include the absurd Steam sales that happen every other month.

There are other reasons, but I'll stop there. What is important to remember is that, while all of the above are indeed advantages, they do NOT mean that consoles are not viable gaming platforms. I love my PC, just as I love my PS3. Play on the system you enjoy, and just be willing to accept that every system has advantages and disadvantages.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
It's pretty much better in every conceivable way, except the price, but who cares because it's elitist.

I see it like booze. I like expensive whiskey, because I feel the need to taste it. Some people can be just as happy with crate of beer. I don't see a reason why that is a problem. Unless it ofcourse like with games it directly affects the quality of my whiskey