Justice League: Apokolips war *Spoilers Abound*

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
And so we come to it. Lets be fair DC and movies have had a rough history - the Christian Bale trilogy were the only good live action ones. However their animated movies have been pretty solid, and the most recent ones have a little extended universe thing going on. And this newest movie was their Endgame, and boy howdy was it a good one.

I didn't think the movie would have the balls to kill off some many heroes in such gory fashions. Here's a list of all the heroes who die horrific deaths, including being eaten alive or torn to bloody gory shreds on screen guts and screaming included:
Green Lantern
Hawk Girl
Zatana
Cyborg
AquaMan
Starfire
Beast Boy
Blue Beetle
Bumblebee
Kid Flash
Speedy
Wonder Girl
Miss Martian
Super Boy
Nightwing
Shazam
Batgirl
Huntress
Batwoman
King Shark
Harley Quinn
Lex Luthor
Bane
Captain Boomerang
Lady Shiva
Lois Lane
Cheeta
Black Manta
Swamp Thing
Wonder Woman
Martian Manhunter
Mira of Atlantis
Hawkman
Kilowag
John Stewart

I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of them. This movie really is brutal, and it makes it exciting. No hero is safe; one second they're there fight, next they're torn apart by space monsters.
As far as the story goes its the bog standard Earth is fucked, its been a few years since the fucking and the last remaining heroes are trying to find a way to reverse it, yadda yadda. And we all know how it goes in a universe where the fast dudes can time travel. So the ending it both predictable but also the only way they can go. By the time Darkseid is dealt with there's like 6 heroes left, so obviously they have to reboot time with a FlashPoint.
And as always John Constantine stole the show - he's just hysterical and broody and irreverent.

Oddly enough Darkseid is barely in it - sure he does bad boy things, and he's voiced by Kurn, son of Mogh, but overall he's just a big threat, not a character. And they eventually defeat him by allowing Trigon to leave Raven and challenge him for the right to be the big evil God, which sure.
But it ends with the dreaded "To be continued...?" trope in that the universe is being reset, again, in a big flash of white, we don't know how it will turn out, credits. Which is both an impressive ending and a complete letdown because they wrote themselves into a corner that only time travel could get them out of.
But a solid movie for what it is, give it a watch

8/10

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Nope, they killed Wonder Woman - 0/10 will not watch and fuck you DC :p

I kid of course, I'll have to give this a look at some point. Thanks for the recommendation.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I totally didn't realize going into this that it was going to be anything like it was. It was pretty good but I didn't care for the ending much...
I totally didn't like they did another Flashpoint to "fix" everything, especially that Darkseid will probably have to be defeated all over again in the new timeline so everything that happened was kinda pointless. It would've been much more interesting to see a movie that continues on from the aftermath of what happened. Do the DC animated movies have such an ongoing cannon that they had to go back to status quo? Because I've seen probably at least 75% of them and they seem very much like standalone movies, much more than the MCU at least. It's not like I'd call bullshit on the next movie being about characters that died in this movie because I'm not expecting that amount of interconnectedness at all.